Never Enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catnapper

UTK c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got the pre-review review of my weaknesses from Western (I'm supposed to read over them and form questions for my file review tomorrow), and one of their suggestions is that I "demonstrate the ability to succeed academically when facing high demands." Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
1) I did pre-vet reqs full time while working full time at a vet hospital--and with a 3.77 GPA!
2) I completed a graduate biomedical course (ok, ok, with a B-) while working full time!!
3) I took 3 classes (2 A's, 1B) last fall while working full time!!
I would LOVE to get into Western, but at the moment, aaaarrrrrrgh!!!! Sorry! I just had to explode SOMEWHERE!!
:boom:

Members don't see this ad.

It is strange that they would ask that question since their GPA tends to a little bit lower than other schools and your stats are in line. Maybe is there something in your PS that would make them ask that question?

There were other suggestions made that I can totally understand--the whole thrust of my application last year was that I'm interested in feline medicine, which I knew was risky. I'm currently attempting to address that weakness, but the "academic" one (from my POV) came out of left field--it seems that my academic ability is one of my strengths! The only explanation that comes to mind is that I didn't do as well when I took a graduate biomedical core course, and I addressed that in the "explanation" section of the VMCAS. The Davis adm. counselor suggested that I not even mention that this time around. Well, I guess I'll have time to cool off and collect myself, and find out tomorrow! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, good luck...at least you have a heads up as to what they might talk about. I would be interested in what they have to say about that question since I'll be applying there next cycle(and my stats aren't quite as high as your :()

Stay tuned--I'll let you know what they say! :D
And I don't know about your stats, but my GRE quant score's a real stinker! So there's always something to put a dent in the app!

Well, I feel better now (I thought I might). The admissions rep couldn't tell what the infuriating statement was in reference to. I asked whether it was a matter of playing up my full work/school load more in the application, and she thought that that was probably the case. She said my GPA looked good (and even my GRE, which made me wonder whether she had the right file! ;)).
I have, however, received conflicting bits of advice on the biomedical grad course I took. It was a monster of a course (3-5 journal/review articles to be read for an 8am class every morning, M-F, & I was working F/T (a dumb move on my part). I got a B-/C and explained the whole workload bit in the "explanation" part of the VMCAS app. The Davis admissions rep told me not to even mention it. Western just told me to explain that it was a grad course (& the workload, etc.). A woman I know who was admitted to Western was like "Oooo, yeah...you don't want to actually discuss your weaknesses there."

I guess the take-home message is that you should really play up all of the hard work you've put into this--if you've worked F/T while taking classes F/T while raising kids F/T, while herding sheep in Namibia, blah, blah, blah, then make damn sure you mention it--perhaps more than once, if you can! I think maybe I just didn't toot my own horn enough last year (at least, that's the feedback I'm getting, now). :rolleyes: Hope this helps some of you out there!

I'm glad that it worked out for you, that one question just wasn't making sense. Yeah, I keep hearing to be sure to toot your horn loudly, no time to be modest! :D

I'm glad that it worked out for you, that one question just wasn't making sense. Yeah, I keep hearing to be sure to toot your horn loudly, no time to be modest! :D

...unless you really want to join us illustrious non-trad (i.e.: ancient) reapplicants!! :p

I'm a non-trad myself so I know where you're coming from :)