New AACP application profile stats available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
application stats for last year's entering class is posted in AACP's website. the complete stats should be up soon. below is the PDF file which states number of application they received for each school.

http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/6662_Application_Tables.pdf

seems like it is getting harder and harder...

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks kwakster928! :) I have been waiting to take a look at this info for a while now checking every couple of days to see if it was up. Looks like they provided more data than in the past and the enrollment data is all in 1 file this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do those numbers strike anyone else as incredible? :eek: An increase of over 50% in overall applications? Scrolling down the list, I see many schools that received twice as many applications as the year before (100% increase), and even a few with more than three times as many applications as the previous year (200%+ increase)! Take a look at Lake Erie and Howard (from 258 to 841 and from 465 to 1567, respectively). This concerns me as I am contemplating a career change and debating the pros and cons of switching. For me, the appeal of pharmacy lies mainly in the quality of life you are afforded as well as being in a position where you are helping people (personally fulfilling). I've heard that the demand for pharmacists currently exceeds the supply and that this situation is supposed to hold for a number of years, but if this increase in applications is indicative of the interest/awareness of the profession, won't the supply soon meet or exceed the demand? Either schools will begin accepting more students, or the competition for seats in schools will become absolutely cutthroat. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Do we have any idea how many people are applying as opposed to how many applications are being filed? I just wonder if part of the increase in applications is due to students applying to more programs than before.

I think, for the most part the huge upswing is due to the increased use of PharmCAS by schools. It's much easier for students to submit basic applications to more schools - I know I submitted to at least two or three extra schools because it only took a mouse click (and a little extra money) Look at the numbers for schools that don't use PharmCAS, and you see that their increases are not nearly as dramatic. (It will be interesting to see what the '04 to '05 numbers will be for Washington, as this is their first year on PharmCAS).

Also, the numbers reported are probably TOTAL applications received, and you can bet that the number of COMPLETE applications received drops drastically. For example, Oregon State received 920 applications this year, but almost 50% (I think it was either 42% or 48%) were disqualified for not being complete.

CSzGirl said:
I think, for the most part the huge upswing is due to the increased use of PharmCAS by schools. It's much easier for students to submit basic applications to more schools - I know I submitted to at least two or three extra schools because it only took a mouse click (and a little extra money) Look at the numbers for schools that don't use PharmCAS, and you see that their increases are not nearly as dramatic. (It will be interesting to see what the '04 to '05 numbers will be for Washington, as this is their first year on PharmCAS).

Also, the numbers reported are probably TOTAL applications received, and you can bet that the number of COMPLETE applications received drops drastically. For example, Oregon State received 920 applications this year, but almost 50% (I think it was either 42% or 48%) were disqualified for not being complete.

I was thinking the same thing... that part of it was people applying to more schools than they have in previous years.

temple is another school that do not participate tin Pharmcas. i know for sure this application year, we have received 200 more applications, so we are looking at 10:1 competition ratio.

daretodream said:
Do those numbers strike anyone else as incredible? :eek: An increase of over 50% in overall applications? Scrolling down the list, I see many schools that received twice as many applications as the year before (100% increase), and even a few with more than three times as many applications as the previous year (200%+ increase)! Take a look at Lake Erie and Howard (from 258 to 841 and from 465 to 1567, respectively). This concerns me as I am contemplating a career change and debating the pros and cons of switching. For me, the appeal of pharmacy lies mainly in the quality of life you are afforded as well as being in a position where you are helping people (personally fulfilling). I've heard that the demand for pharmacists currently exceeds the supply and that this situation is supposed to hold for a number of years, but if this increase in applications is indicative of the interest/awareness of the profession, won't the supply soon meet or exceed the demand? Either schools will begin accepting more students, or the competition for seats in schools will become absolutely cutthroat. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

raised competition for accpetance is good for the quality of pharmacy education and as profession as whole. as more qualified students gets in profession can move to the brighter future. couple more schools are opening up and most of them increased their class size, but this wont last for awhile. AACP and ACPE is not stupid. while they will do their best to meet the demand, but they will do so slowly. reaching the demand quickly meaning lowering of salary, and that is something we dont really look forward to. however having more pharmacist sort of make sense because if we can't even meet the minimum demand of the public, i dont think we will have time and personal to do anything else. how can a profession move forward if we are struggling with just for the prescription volume, when we meet those demands and then if we have extra time and personal, then we can progress more toward real good stuff. patient oriented pharmacy.