New AAMC Guidelines on Interacting with Pharma

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by sunlioness, Jun 19, 2008.

1. sunlioness

sunlioness Fierce. Proud. Strong
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2008/080619.htm

We learned about this today in one of our meetings. Was wondering if others had heard of this and what they thought about it. It affects residents and attendings who work at med-school affiliated hospitals, whether on or off work.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the funniest thing about the report is this:
    I'm fairly certain that I'm on record here as disliking my interview @ WashU b/c it felt like the Merck School of Medicine.

FWIW, my program instituted a (rather draconian) approach to industry interactions earlier this year. Essentially no reps on campus, ever. There are certain exceptions but that pretty much sums it up. It also includes lab/research reps. No food, no books, no buy some, get some deals (on the lab side of things), no pens, no nothing. My program (IM) had instituted a similar but less overbearing program 3y ago and it's been pretty decent. They sacked up and provided food for noon conference, Grand Rounds and 1/4 morning reports a week (and coffee for the rest of them) so it hasn't been a huge deal for us. Not sure about other programs though.

4. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the called measure is rather extreme. I am unsure if the evidence shows that the gifts make the physician biased or that they are a sign of a bias already existent (i.e. I always liked Zosyn and thought the med was great and so I am more likely to take their pens).

5. Shinken

Shinken Family Medicine
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  6. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1. This issue is such a idiotic one. Why doesn't the AAMC get off their asses and actually do something about the fact that debt loads are soaring over $200k instead of trying to make sure that these poor meds students dont, god-forbid, take a free Januvia pen.

2. Who cares what the studies show on this issue? I'm sure that studies also show that taking overnight call is stressful for residents but that doesn't mean we should eliminate it. If you are that influenced by a lunch with a drug rep then there are other problems at work.

3. If some girl/guy in a sharp suit wants to talk to me for a few minutes about their new antibiotic and then buy me a steak dinner, I will go every time.