Quantcast

New ABP guidelines for general pedi exam passing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedBeta

Why am I in a handbasket?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Know this is not the main purpose of this thread but, this is a best fit thread...

https://www.abp.org/ABPWebStatic/#m...neralpediatricscertifying/scorechangesgp2.htm

BIG NEWS from the ABP today: They're changing the scoring method of the Board Certifying Exam...AND...more importantly:
pass/fail decisions will be based on a candidate's demonstrated mastery of content and whether or not they have met the defined standard. Pass/fail decisions will not be based on how an candidate's performance compares to that of other test-takers. As a result, it will be possible for all candidates to pass the examination if they have met the defined standard.

I think this is a huge improvement, and something that has long been needed compared to the way that other organizations determine their board certified physicians. I still think there is a need to modify the content of the exam, especially as organizations such as Medicaid and by extension soon enough insurance companies begin looking at outcomes and quality indicators from providers (says someone infinitely frustrated by having to study which vaccines are supposed to stay in a freezer today - the answer being varicella).

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm unconvinced it's a meaningful change

After all, in their own words

The passing standard for the General Pediatrics Certifying Examination over the past 10 years has ranged from 70% to 75% of questions answered correctly on the examination. The exact percentage varied depending on examination difficulty, with easier exams requiring a higher percentage of correct answers. Standard-setting study results have demonstrated that approximately the same percentage of correct answers will be required with the new standard. Therefore, minimal variation is anticipated in the overall passing rate for the examination.

So, the % passing could go anywhere and it will take several years to recalibrate it. It appears that they are targeting the same overall pass rate as before. Whether using SD scores or fixed % is better depends entirely on the quality of the questions, so, as noted, this will only be an improvement if the questions are better.

Cuthbert

DINH
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought the test was one of the most difficult standard exams that I have taken in my life. I don't know if I think this is a good thing or not. I would not want to be one of the first time takers of this new test.

Giic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if this only applies to general peds exam? How about subspecialty certification?

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if this only applies to general peds exam? How about subspecialty certification?

The press release was specific to the General exam. Given the multi-exam recalibration needed, I doubt it can or will be applied to subspecialties in the near future and as noted, would likely have little effect on scoring.

Giic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the multi-exam recalibration needed, I doubt it can or will be applied to subspecialties in the near future.

Dear prof, please explain what you mean by multi-exam recalibration....

Cuthbert

DINH
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BIG NEWS from the ABP today: They're changing the scoring method of the Board Certifying Exam.

Does anyone know if the overall pass rate for 2012 has been released yet? I would like to know how it compares to previous years.

No1Cub17

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the overall pass rate for 2012 has been released yet? I would like to know how it compares to previous years.

It has not - I emailed them to ask and got a reply saying it was in the low to mid 80s, which is significantly higher than years prior (75% last year). They didn't say when the official data would be released. This is probably expected given they would not want the PR fallout of even lower passing rates with a new scoring system (although you could argue that the ABP has been reluctant to change anyway).

Cuthbert

DINH
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has not - I emailed them to ask and got a reply saying it was in the low to mid 80s, which is significantly higher than years prior (75% last year). They didn't say when the official data would be released. This is probably expected given they would not want the PR fallout of even lower passing rates with a new scoring system (although you could argue that the ABP has been reluctant to change anyway).

Low to mid 80's! Interesting. If it truely was that good of a pass rate, what do the previous test takers think about that?

Personally, I thought the 70-75% pass rate was a little stiff. However, it sure felt good when you passed.