New and need guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mizsunshyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been a bit of a lurker for a few months, so I figured you guys would have some good advice.

I have a BA in Psychology. My intention was to go on to a Ph.D in Clinical Psych, but it was about my junior year I discovered I really dislike research and want to focus more on people. I looked into counseling programs and even got accepted into a Marriage and Family Therapy program, but got cold feet. Counseling, in my opinion, doesn't look at the full picture of the person. I really want a more medical or at least more complete approach. I also have an interest in more severe mental illness where medication is necessary. I have decided psychiatry fits my interests more.

I am not gifted in science and math, but I have a strong enough drive and focus to do well. I am also interested in all medical fields, so medical school wouldn't be a mistake even if I ended up hating psychiatry. The issue I'm having is that I can't find good guidance. I went to a small local college and had them sign me up for the pre-reqs I'll need for medical school and I started this fall. I don't even know if schools are going to frown upon just completing pre-reqs or if I need a second bachelors. Does it matter that I'm getting the courses at what used to be a junior college?

My biggest issue now is that I have 3 kids. I'm doubting my ability to do this. School has been in session for a month, and already we've had 3 viruses. I've missed a week of school due to the stomach virus and then RSV which required my three year old to be hospitalized. I also work part time to supplement my husband's income. I don't even have time for laundry let alone volunteering or extensive MCAT studying. I'm barely staying on top of my classes and I only have a little over a year of prerequisites to complete before I apply.

At this point, I don't know if my interest is strong enough to pull me through this. I don't know if I'm doing it right or what I need to be doing, either. I'm thinking about withdrawing, but I really want to be sure before I do. How can I find out if this is the right path for me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter that I'm getting the courses at what used to be a junior college?

For non-traditional applicants, it doesn't matter much unless there is a suspicion that your excellent grades were due to a lack of competition in the classroom (e.g. the other students were very talented and made it easy to be at the top of the class if grades are curved up). Some schools will look at "pedigree" but it is very low on the list of concerns.

I don't even have time for laundry let alone volunteering or extensive MCAT studying. I'm barely staying on top of my classes and I only have a little over a year of prerequisites to complete before I apply.
How will things be different 3 years from now? Without some community service, and some clinical exposure, and a good MCAT , you have zero chance of being admitted. Once you are admitted, you will not be able to work and you will be accumulating debt which makes it very hard to step off the escalator.

I am not gifted in science and math, but I have a strong enough drive and focus to do well.

Is this enough? The first two years of medical school are heavily focused on human biology, biochemistry, biostatistics, genetics, cell biology, biophysics, physiology, anatomy, pathophysiology, pharmacology and much more. Can you just power through 10 hours of lectures per week plus small groups plus 30 hours of studying in groups and/or alone?

What are the various careers that involve taking care of patients? Do you want to be the one prescribing the medication (often in a 15 minute visit) or do you want more face-time with patients than the typical interaction between patient and physician. What alternatives are there in getting what you want out of a career?

What are your priorities? Do you need to do this now or would 10 years from now be more reasonable? Depending on your children's ages and whether you have a partner or parent who can/will take primary responsibility for childcare and homemaking (eg. laundry, food preparation) or if you can afford household help, this may or may not be the optimal time to pursue your education. It doesn't mean that you should do nothing; however,taking classes at a time when you are not well positioned to give it your utmost attention is a recipe for disaster. It is very hard to overcome a poor GPA. Don't dig yourself into that hole.

Thanks for the response.

I'm making b's in classes right now. With my psych degree, I could skim the book and ace the tests. For science, I have to study. For math, I have to study harder. I find it all interesting, so I believe I would do more than power through it in med school. But that assumes I will get in. If it were just me and I had no kids, I would work hard for this and do whatever it took to get in. I'd never give up. But with kids...I want to have a stable career to support them.

You are so right about priorities and GPA. I am holding onto a 3.69 right now. One C and I would be done. I think this is a big part of why I'm a bit flighty. That, and the stress. At the same time, if I waited until I could reasonably do this, I don't think I ever will. My kids are 9, 5, and 3. All with a variety of special needs. Maybe it's not in the cards. I don't know how to make the call. One minute, I'm ready to take it all on, the next I'm considering baking cupcakes for a living and calling it a day. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I've been a bit of a lurker for a few months, so I figured you guys would have some good advice.

I have a BA in Psychology. My intention was to go on to a Ph.D in Clinical Psych, but it was about my junior year I discovered I really dislike research and want to focus more on people. I looked into counseling programs and even got accepted into a Marriage and Family Therapy program, but got cold feet. Counseling, in my opinion, doesn't look at the full picture of the person. I really want a more medical or at least more complete approach. I also have an interest in more severe mental illness where medication is necessary. I have decided psychiatry fits my interests more.

I am not gifted in science and math, but I have a strong enough drive and focus to do well. I am also interested in all medical fields, so medical school wouldn't be a mistake even if I ended up hating psychiatry. The issue I'm having is that I can't find good guidance. I went to a small local college and had them sign me up for the pre-reqs I'll need for medical school and I started this fall. I don't even know if schools are going to frown upon just completing pre-reqs or if I need a second bachelors. Does it matter that I'm getting the courses at what used to be a junior college?

My biggest issue now is that I have 3 kids. I'm doubting my ability to do this. School has been in session for a month, and already we've had 3 viruses. I've missed a week of school due to the stomach virus and then RSV which required my three year old to be hospitalized. I also work part time to supplement my husband's income. I don't even have time for laundry let alone volunteering or extensive MCAT studying. I'm barely staying on top of my classes and I only have a little over a year of prerequisites to complete before I apply.

At this point, I don't know if my interest is strong enough to pull me through this. I don't know if I'm doing it right or what I need to be doing, either. I'm thinking about withdrawing, but I really want to be sure before I do. How can I find out if this is the right path for me?

Thanks!
-If your avatar is a personal photo, consider removing it to maintain your anonymity.

--Have you shadowed a practitioner in mental health and a medical doctor to see what the differences are? Have you looked into Advanced Practice Nursing in Mental Health? In my state, they can prescribe psychotropic medications.

-Might you consider cutting down to just one class for this term until you get your feet back under yourself again? You might take a lower class load over a greater time period until your kids are older and closer to being on autopilot, rather than rushing the process now.

-Volunteering can be as easy as helping with your kids' after school programs, daycare, religious education, scouts, soccer, etc. That can take care of nonmedical community service, but you'd still need a job or volunteer position where you can get patient exposure. And you'll need to shadow some docs. If you tried some research for at least a semester in college, you've got that covered already.

-If your avatar is a personal photo, consider removing it to maintain your anonymity.

--Have you shadowed a practitioner in mental health and a medical doctor to see what the differences are? Have you looked into Advanced Practice Nursing in Mental Health? In my state, they can prescribe psychotropic medications.

-Might you consider cutting down to just one class for this term until you get your feet back under yourself again? You might take a lower class load over a greater time period until your kids are older and closer to being on autopilot, rather than rushing the process now.

-Volunteering can be as easy as helping with your kids' after school programs, daycare, religious education, scouts, soccer, etc. That can take care of nonmedical community service, but you'd still need a job or volunteer position where you can get patient exposure. And you'll need to shadow some docs. If you tried some research for at least a semester in college, you've got that covered already.

Thanks for the response. I am setting up a time to shadow someone with a Ph.D in psych through someone I know. How do I go about asking a medical doctor about shadowing?

I am setting up a time to shadow someone with a Ph.D in psych through someone I know. How do I go about asking a medical doctor about shadowing?
The clinical psychologist may know the psychiatrist to whom they refer well enough that once you are acquainted through shadowing, they might send you along. You might ask your own doc, or that of your kids. If any older relatives live nearby, their physicians are fair game, too. Alternatively, you might get to know a suitable candidate while working or volunteering. Or you can "cold call" the offices of local doctors and ask. Some schools have clubs or or other prearranged opportunities to shadow, to which a premed advisor could direct you.