new application and the need for secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milhouse Van Houten

Reaction score
really now, what could they possibly ask us on secondaries now? do you think some schools will eliminate secondaries this year, or do you think they'll keep the old ones, in which case they will be redundant to the primaries. maybe the new secondaries will just be a fomality: send us some cash, list new awards or activities not listed on the primaries?

Members don't see this ad.

Hate to break it to you, but even last year, a good portion of the secondaries WERE redundant in relation to AMCAS, and that was when AMCAS wasn't quite as comprehensive. Nearly all of them asked for a listing of the science classes you had taken, and I generally had to relist all my extracurricular activities. The only major difference that I have noticed in the new AMCAS is the optional essay if you consider yourself "disadvantaged" and the practice vision essay, which only a few schools asked about anyways (I completed 15 secondaries, and I think maybe 3 of them had a "practice vision" question). AMCAS is also more detailed in asking about activities, but I don't think that would change the secondaries that much.

In general, secondaries will ask you a very open-ended question such as "Include any additional information you think would help us in evaluating your application;" some ask for biographies; some ask you to describe moral/ethical dilemmas; some ask you to describe a specific struggle or difficulty you overcame; some ask you to describe a meaningful or significant event in your life; and then of course somewhere in your secondary, it's always a good idea to fit in why you want to attend School X, if they didn't already specifically ask you. In general, after you've done 3-4 secondaries, you should be in good shape to complete the remaining ones using parts from the different essays you've written.