new attending compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

97t

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
senior resident here evaluating jobs with a question about compensation. The job I'm looking at (community hospital with residency in the midwest) is offering 65% of billing with a mininum guranteed hourly rate. As you build years you get some profit sharing (10-30k depending). standard benefits given inculding malpractice with tail, though I pay for health insurance. I would be an employee of the group no one is a partner. They say the other 35% is overhead for the group. Is 35% a reasonable number for overhead or are they taking too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
senior resident here evaluating jobs with a question about compensation. The job I'm looking at (community hospital with residency in the midwest) is offering 65% of billing with a mininum guranteed hourly rate. As you build years you get some profit sharing (10-30k depending). standard benefits given inculding malpractice with tail, though I pay for health insurance. I would be an employee of the group no one is a partner. They say the other 35% is overhead for the group. Is 35% a reasonable number for overhead or are they taking too much?

Is there a partnership track? I would ask to see the books (I'm told its a good practice whenever you are considering a new job to assess viability of the practice) and have an accountant review them to see if that is a reasonable amount.