New black box warning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn1977

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So..this week I got notice a new black box warning has been added to Paxil (probably others to follow..) Now they are identifying an increase in suicides in the young adult population (as defined by 18-24yo). We already have the warning about adolescents.

My question is - I know statistically there is an increase, which prompts the required warning, but in the real clinical setting, do you see an increase in the suicide risk with SSRI's in these two populations (adolescent & young adult) above that with initial therapy in the adult population? I'm just curious - I still have to give the written & verbal warnings which now extends from adolescence to 24 yo.

Members don't see this ad.

sdn1977 said:
So..this week I got notice a new black box warning has been added to Paxil (probably others to follow..) Now they are identifying an increase in suicides in the young adult population (as defined by 18-24yo). We already have the warning about adolescents.

My question is - I know statistically there is an increase, which prompts the required warning, but in the real clinical setting, do you see an increase in the suicide risk with SSRI's in these two populations (adolescent & young adult) above that with initial therapy in the adult population? I'm just curious - I still have to give the written & verbal warnings which now extends from adolescence to 24 yo.

Jeeebus.

It is not an "increase in suicides". It is an increase in non-fatal suicidal behavior. 11 out of a whopping 3455 for the drug arm vs. 1 out of 1978 for the placebo arm. If you prescribe SSRIs you really should know the difference.

Is this statistically significant? yes.

Worthy of a black box? Hell no.

Thats what I guessed, but thanks for the verification!