New COMLEX 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined2beadoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take the new format COMLEX 3 that started on September 10, 2018? Any thoughts, comments, experiences? How was it taking the test over two days?
Are the COMBANk questions still relevant? What subject was heavily tested? How many total questions? Any tips, thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was ****. I fully expect to retake. It was extremely subpar (like always) compare to step 3 ccs

Not sure if other people thought so, but I thought the CDM cases were very, very hard. Bombed 80% of them. Might be the barrier to me passing. The MCQ is similar to previous exams.

Not sure if other people thought so, but I thought the CDM cases were very, very hard. Bombed 80% of them. Might be the barrier to me passing. The MCQ is similar to previous exams.

Any advice on what resources to use or how to study for the CDM cases?

Unfortunately dont have great advice. Used COMBANK, which was not the same level of difficulty as what was on the exam, or as vague.

I thought it was hard too (even the multiple choice felt kind of hardish too) Hoping for a pass. Crazy how if you overselect or underselect one answer (even if it’s completely reasonable) choice you can get the entire question wrong.

I thought it was hard too (even the multiple choice felt kind of hardish too) Hoping for a pass. Crazy how if you overselect or underselect one answer (even if it’s completely reasonable) choice you can get the entire question wrong.

I agree. You can't anticipate how aggressive or not they want to be, and it seemed like they changed depending on the question. A very frustrating experience.

You would think after making us wait for up to 5 months for a score release that it would show up on first day the scores are slated to be coming out. *sigh*.

CDM was ridiculously difficult and confusing. MC was pretty standard the way they wrote them up for previous exams. Stupid exam. I better pass.

You would think after making us wait for up to 5 months for a score release that it would show up on first day the scores are slated to be coming out. *sigh*.

CDM was ridiculously difficult and confusing. MC was pretty standard the way they wrote them up for previous exams. Stupid exam. I better pass.

Good luck man. I took mine just a couple days ago. Been thinking about that dumb exam as well. Day 1 felt ok, but day 2 just completely made me feel like ass after the CDM. I’m with you. I hope I pass too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed, 849. Used comquest and NBOME practice exams. Comquest has practice CDMs that were harder than the NBOME ones and I felt like the NBOME ones more accurately reflected the actual exam but it was still confusing.

Reactions: 1 user
Also is Uworld still the gold standard for level 3?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Uworld would have been way overkill and frankly ain’t nobody got time for that. I finished all of combank and thought it was representative. Caveat I just took it and am anxious about it.
Does intern year help at all? Was thinking about taking this before it starts

I would say intern year helps but probably not necessary to be honest. If your non-im, probably can try to take it as soon as possible to get it over with. My IM friends are taking their time since apparently their score kind of counts? . Caveat I just took it and am anxious about it

Uworld would have been way overkill and frankly ain’t nobody got time for that. I finished all of combank and thought it was representative. Caveat I just took it and am anxious about it.

Can you elaborate on why the score counts for IM? Is this because of fellowship? Thank you in advance.

Anyone mind sharing what materials they used to pass?
Studied for 2 weeks only (8-9 hours/day), used comquest and combank only. Went through the questions about 1.25 to 1.5 times in total. Scored much higher than the minimum. Didn't feel like I did that great on the CDM cases during the test. Sure if you put in more time and used uworld, especially for the CDM question studying, my score would of been even better. Combank and Comquest were more than adequate though.

Took it recently. Feel devastated by the CDM... even though some to be somewhat straight forward I would never know what they wanted. Feel like bombed a 1/4 of them and the rest I missed parts here and there on... anyone else feel the same? MCQ same as always. Hoping to just pass at this point!

Took it recently. Feel devastated by the CDM... even though some to be somewhat straight forward I would never know what they wanted. Feel like bombed a 1/4 of them and the rest I missed parts here and there on... anyone else feel the same? MCQ same as always. Hoping to just pass at this point!
I took it before you. Same feels

Studied off and on for ~4-5 weeks. Did DIT for Step III + Comquest (finished ~1200 mixed questions + all of the OBGYN/peds/OMM that was still left). Scheduled the exam for back-to-back days. CDM was similar to what was on NBOME's website and Comquest. The grading must have been lenient because I thought I would have done worse. Scored an 805.

Studied off and on for ~4-5 weeks. Did DIT for Step III + Comquest (finished ~1200 mixed questions + all of the OBGYN/peds/OMM that was still left). Scheduled the exam for back-to-back days. CDM was similar to what was on NBOME's website and Comquest. The grading must have been lenient because I thought I would have done worse. Scored an 805.
How did you feel after the exam? Exam felt like a **** show for me and I’m getting my score next week. Kill me.

How did you feel after the exam? Exam felt like a **** show for me and I’m getting my score next week. Kill me.

I felt the same way (as is usual for COMLEX). I stopped trying to base my performance on how I felt after the exam. Rather, I rely on my % correct/percentile on the practice questions I was doing up to the day before. Seems to correlate much better. Good luck to you!

Passed!

All I did was the NBOME CDM practice, Combank, a little (very little) reading of Master the Boards, plus the weekly studying for my IM program’s weekly review.

It’s more annoyingly and frustrating than it is hard.

I passed, somehow. Thought I failed with the CDM, pretty much got every single one of them wrong. Still scored above average, which doesn't make sense. No more OMTrash questions. So elated.
I did mostly UWorld, got COMBANK for the CDM (which didn't really help). Refused to study fake cranial or crapmans points. Went through savarese once and all the sympathetic/parasympathetic a few times.

Passed! Some thoughts as others. Thought I was doomed with CDM. Got above average. Used comquest is all. Best of luck!

No more questions I have to decipher by the NBOME :)

For all those worried about messing up CDM, I can say with certainty that I scored much better than it felt as I literally tripped and stumbled through most of that morning.

UWorld + COMBANK was overkill but I'm glad it's over.

Today starts the March test block score reports. Was an awful exam, did not feel like Combank prepared me adequately.

Today starts the March test block score reports. Was an awful exam, did not feel like Combank prepared me adequately.
I'm guessing score release is going to be the the last day of the window like it was for Level 1 and 2