New computer suggestions for PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDpt5844

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was recently accepted into a physical therapy program and I am looking to purchase a new computer.

1) Can any current pt students, soon to be pt students tell me what computer they have and if they find it the best for school?

2) I am used to my Mac but I am willing to try other options. Has anyone had a problem using a Mac during school (some people tell me they can't open all programs that the school uses)?

3) How much storage should I get?

4) What is the best way to take notes for school?

5) Any advice with a surface pro or a Windows computer?

Thank you for your help! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this time.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Can any current pt students, soon to be pt students tell me what computer they have and if they find it the best for school?
A laptop for $200 a couple years old. The only thing that matters is your computer is working. If distance learning continues, your exams may be proctors online, so you will need to make sure you will have camera, speakers, and microphone.

Don't worry about that. A regular computer will have much more storage space than you will need and will be able to use in PT school.

That is a personal preference. We did not need to take any notes since all the information was posted online. I took almost zero notes. If typing or writing lectures helps you, do what has been working the best for you. Another option is record lectures and listen to them when you are driving, walking, working out, cooking, etc.

I used Windows without any issues.

Reactions: 1 user
A laptop for $200 a couple years old. The only thing that matters is your computer is working. If distance learning continues, your exams may be proctors online, so you will need to make sure you will have camera, speakers, and microphone.

Don't worry about that. A regular computer will have much more storage space than you will need and will be able to use in PT school.

That is a personal preference. We did not need to take any notes since all the information was posted online. I took almost zero notes. If typing or writing lectures helps you, do what has been working the best for you. Another option is record lectures and listen to them when you are driving, walking, working out, cooking, etc.

I used Windows without any issues.
Thank you for your help!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I went through my first year with mainly a ipad pro. I got it before school because I heard good things about an app called Notability. You download the lecture ppw and the app lets you record audio and you can type or write on the ipad screen. It worked well however I am now looking at a Wndows laptop because there are a lot of essays and research papers. I need multiple screens. Most people seem to be doing just fine with older laptops.

Hello everyone! I was recently accepted into a physical therapy program and I am looking to purchase a new computer.

2) I am used to my Mac but I am willing to try other options. Has anyone had a problem using a Mac during school (some people tell me they can't open all programs that the school uses)?

Thank you for your help! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this time.
My class had a mix of mac, pc, ipads, whatever, and no one ran into any major problems. There were some things that worked better on macs & other things that worked better on windows. I would reach out to current students and ask them, since I'm sure every program uses different things.
The biggest problem was when we abruptly had to switch to online and some of us ran into mic/camera issues.
I personally hate staring at screens, even with blue light blocks etc, so I try to be pen and paper as much as possible - I prefer printing ppts and taking notes on them, and for studying I use unlined drawing pads & colored markers, especially for diagrams/anatomy/neuro. Other people prefer operating purely off of their ipads/whatever, which I suppose is convenient & less things to carry. Some people don't even take notes. There is no "best" way, you'll just have to do some trial and error to figure out what works for you. Our first semester, everyone kind of fumbled around trying different things and trying what other people were trying until they settled into a rhythm.
I can't imagine storage being an issue. No one ever once said it was a problem.
Congrats!