New Cornell Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted50478

Is it just me or is that latest Cornell review way too negative to be real?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you mean on Scutwork; there was nothing rosy posted today - the UCLA and Brigham reviews were less than flattering as well.

I'd love to hear what folks have to say.

dc

Funny how these types of reviews always seem to come out just before the rank list deadlines. I would suspect they are from sneaky med students trying to trick others into ranking these programs lower. Caveat emptor...

Members don't see this ad :)
disclaimer--i am not a resident at cornell but have close ties to program so this is heresay and conjecture, though less so than might be imagined.

i was not surprised by the review after hearing tons of similar things from friends one year and two ahead of me who are "in the know" so to speak. interviewed there, spent a day with my ca2 buddy there in the general OR's downstairs and wandered amongst the residents--i ranked them outside of my top 5.

selling a place for "great housing" is weak at best when 3 other places in nyc have arguably more complete programs in terms of training. no trauma, no livers, some peds, cush OB and great regional and cardiac is what i was told and it seemed true when i grilled some residents. also something about not seeing or feeling comfy with bigger cases until ca-3?

prsetige is also an illusion they try to sell there but i'm not sure it's true and especially don't think it's a quantifiable advantage post-residency.

yeah, i didn't interview at cornell, but i took a look at that review and it does seem to echo comments in some of the prior reviews, the person just seems a lot more unhappy with those aspects. As for the Brigham review, I remember reading it before, not sure why it's dated 2/5/06. Maybe i read it somewhere else, but it was like deja vu.

As match time comes around, its not surprising to see reviews like this popping up trying to discourage potential applicants from ranking a certain program so that one has a better chance somewhere.

I am a PGY-3 at Cornell and I am totally happy here with my training, the attendings, the teaching, my colleagues, and most importantly - my life. I can honestly tell you a VAST majority of the residents are very happy here and would rank this place again #1 in a heartbeat - I had the fortune of visiting all the top eat coast and west coast programs when I applied a few years ago, and while Cornell did not immediately jump to the top of my rank list as having the "best" of everything, after a few years here I realize how nice I have it compared to colleagues around the country in other residencies. Everything comes together in an amazing city with fantastic cheap housing across the street, strong clinical rotations across 3 hospitals (NYPH, HSS, MSKCC), great fellowship opportunities, good camraderie, and name recognition. In retrospect I would of only interviewed at Cornell, and would rank it #1 without a second doubt. I urge you fellow applicants to come by for a second look, or email residents individually and get the real scoop. There will be disgruntled residents in every program, but many forget that residency sucks no matter where you may be, and that late days, working hard, and horrible attendings will be present in every program. Here at Cornell I feel I have it the best it can possibly be.

Cisatracurium said:
As match time comes around, its not surprising to see reviews like this popping up trying to discourage potential applicants from ranking a certain program so that one has a better chance somewhere.

I am a PGY-3 at Cornell and I am totally happy here with my training, the attendings, the teaching, my colleagues, and most importantly - my life. I can honestly tell you a VAST majority of the residents are very happy here and would rank this place again #1 in a heartbeat - I had the fortune of visiting all the top eat coast and west coast programs when I applied a few years ago, and while Cornell did not immediately jump to the top of my rank list as having the "best" of everything, after a few years here I realize how nice I have it compared to colleagues around the country in other residencies. Everything comes together in an amazing city with fantastic cheap housing across the street, strong clinical rotations across 3 hospitals (NYPH, HSS, MSKCC), great fellowship opportunities, good camraderie, and name recognition. In retrospect I would of only interviewed at Cornell, and would rank it #1 without a second doubt. I urge you fellow applicants to come by for a second look, or email residents individually and get the real scoop. There will be disgruntled residents in every program, but many forget that residency sucks no matter where you may be, and that late days, working hard, and horrible attendings will be present in every program. Here at Cornell I feel I have it the best it can possibly be.

Man, don't build it up too much. You just decreased my chances of matching there. :smuggrin: