New CPT codes for Digital Pathology - Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanRaggy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Untitled.png

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the reimbursement is significantly higher to account for the extra labor and costs associated with digitizing and maintaining the significant amount of data necessary for this endeavor, then it's just a cute gimmick as far as I'm concerned. And I define significant as not an extra $2 to the technical.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the reimbursement is significantly higher to account for the extra labor and costs associated with digitizing and maintaining the significant amount of data necessary for this endeavor, then it's just a cute gimmick as far as I'm concerned. And I define significant as not an extra $2 to the technical.
What additional value is there to the patient to do pathology services digitally? If the answer is "none". why should the payor pay more for these services?
This is where AMA shows they don't really know what they are doing or why they are even doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow....CAP advocacy at work, huh?
I mean... they could have just changed the CPT language for existing microscopy to include reviews of digital images and processing TC components to include digital components of processing. But creating new codes may not yield the desired effect.

What are they paying? All I care about.

I hear from a pretty good source TC will increase (the million dollar question is how much) and no change to the PC.

Net impact will favor bigger players who all of a sudden have a huge interest in this