New Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

50dent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ECU is opening up a new dental school within the next couple of years. It is rumored that they will have 50 NC resident seats a year. Also, UNC is planning on adding around 20 additional seats. In my mind this is going to make things ALOT easier for NC pre-dents. My sophmore year finished with c's and d's so I will be re-taking alot of classes this next year to bring my GPA back to above a 3. Although I will strive to make A's these next two years, my question is this...Do you guy's see me being competitive if I graduate with a 3.3 (I'm factoring in a couple B's that I may make) Average DAT scores and a decent amount of shadowing experience? My undergrad has a post-bacc program and id just like to have an idea of how long i'm going to stay here. Thanks for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

50dent said:
ECU is opening up a new dental school within the next couple of years. It is rumored that they will have 50 NC resident seats a year. Also, UNC is planning on adding around 20 additional seats. In my mind this is going to make things ALOT easier for NC pre-dents. My sophmore year finished with c's and d's so I will be re-taking alot of classes this next year to bring my GPA back to above a 3. Although I will strive to make A's these next two years, my question is this...Do you guy's see me being competitive if I graduate with a 3.3 (I'm factoring in a couple B's that I may make) Average DAT scores and a decent amount of shadowing experience? My undergrad has a post-bacc program and id just like to have an idea of how long i'm going to stay here. Thanks for any replies!

what does ECU stand for?

Keep in mind that AADSAS still factors in the original grades you got....

One thing in your favor though, is that your slump happend all at one time.... So they will take that in to consideration. My situation is very similar.....except my 'slump' was my freshman year. I finished my first year with a 2.9, but i've managed to pull it up to a 3.3

What you are gonna have to do, is knock the crap out of the DAT. A really good score on the DAT will show them that you are motivated and can perform... and they may forgive your 'slump' year.

Members don't see this ad :)
ECU = East Carolina University in Greenville, NC. They already have a medical school there and I think they are going to try to make this new dental school just for NC residents (woohoo for NC peps!) kinda like the one in GA for just GA residents. The medical school pretty much works the same, I don't think they have taken a non-resident student in a number of years. One thing to mention is that this school will prob meant to produce doctors that will stay in NC and work in rural communities (again very much like the medical school) I hear that the process has been slowed down because it's taking some time to find potential teachers for the school. Too bad i'm applying this cycle so it won't be any use to me yet!

There are two other universities in the works as well, though probably not opening in the next two cycles.

Touro University is planning on opening one in either Nevada, California or Arizona...probably arizona

and West Virginia University (I think) which has a medical school is going to open a dental school too.