New Dental Schools????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slideways75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of any new dental schools that were coming along in like the next 4 years or where I could look for an answer at?? Thanks for everyones help.

Members don't see this ad.

Western University (starts to accept students who are entering in fall 2009) is the only school that I know so far :)

eastern carolina is going to have a dental school... don't know specifics though

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova's pretty new...11 years old...

Western University (starts to accept students who are entering in fall 2009) is the only school that I know so far :)

Which state is this school in? just wondering...

It's in California.

ASDOH is also pretty new, opened around 4 years ago. it's in Arizona, and that's what the A stands for.
I've also heard rumors of AT Stills University (affiliated with ASDOH) wanting to open up another campus near San Diego.
Western University's program looks pretty interesting, and it's in California. I'm definitely applying there.

A word of caution: don't expect new d-schools to open up left and right, as 1) it's hard, and 2) several schools have closed their DDS programs in the past ~30 years.

It's in California.

SIX schools in one state? :eek: I would think one or two dental schools per state would be MORE then enough...then again everything is run by politics these days...

SIX schools in one state? :eek: I would think one or two dental schools per state would be MORE then enough...then again everything is run by politics these days...
One or two in any normal state, but were talikng about CA here girl! We've got 12% of the population (not including the multitude of illegals), we need 12% of the dental schools.
Seriously though, it's a private school so their going to build it wherever they think it will work best. But if it makes any difference, they're building it in Pomona and that's like the hot stinky armpit of LA county. So it's only sort of CA.

Are you kidding me???? California has something like 40 million people, and he 6th largest economy in the WORLD..... i think it might need more then 200 new dentists a year that you would get from 2 schools...

I agree. And it's weird how none of the CA schools give preference to CA residents.

By the way, btizzels, I see you're from SD. Your avatar is really giving me the creeps, especially since a guy was killed last week by a great white shark in SD. :eek:

Are you kidding me???? California has something like 40 million people, and he 6th largest economy in the WORLD..... i think it might need more then 200 new dentists a year that you would get from 2 schools...

Currently the newest school (besides Western) is Midwestern in Arizona. Its going to be an awesome program from what I saw.

1-2 dental schools are enough for most states...CA already has 5 which is more then enough...6 would be over kill is what I mean to say...

Members don't see this ad :)
1-2 dental schools are enough for most states...CA already has 5 which is more then enough...6 would be over kill is what I mean to say...

Again being from CA, I totally disagree....... California should probably have about 10 dental schools to give its residents a chance to go to school here.... or since i pay taxes in CA, UCLA and UCSF should just accept in-state like other states do.

I agree. And it's weird how none of the CA schools give preference to CA residents.

By the way, btizzels, I see you're from SD. Your avatar is really giving me the creeps, especially since a guy was killed last week by a great white shark in SD. :eek:

Yeah the guy died like 20 minutes north of where i live, and the reason why i have that avatar.... is because NOVA's mascot is the sharks...... and two sharks have alot of teeth

Again being from CA, I totally disagree....... California should probably have about 10 dental schools to give its residents a chance to go to school here.... or since i pay taxes in CA, UCLA and UCSF should just accept in-state like other states do.

I thought UCLA and UCSF did accept MOSTLY in state residents.

ASDOH is also pretty new, opened around 4 years ago. it's in Arizona, and that's what the A stands for.
I've also heard rumors of AT Stills University (affiliated with ASDOH) wanting to open up another campus near San Diego.
Western University's program looks pretty interesting, and it's in California. I'm definitely applying there.

A word of caution: don't expect new d-schools to open up left and right, as 1) it's hard, and 2) several schools have closed their DDS programs in the past ~30 years.

the word on my side of the street is that AT Still is lookin to open a new school at its Kirksville location where the 1st DO med school resides. also, another word on my side of the street is that Midwestern is seeing to see how their AZ location goes, then will maybe look to build another one at their downer's grove campus in IL. again, these were things that i heard at my interviews and not too sure if they will ever happen or if there is any timeline.

Last edited:
Midwestern university and Western University are the two new schools. I am not applying to either because they are so community-service oriented, and you need to have hours of non-dental comm. service.

Western is going to limit their class to just 60 students... it's not going to be as big as UOP and USC. When I interviewed at Temple, Brian said they had 3500 applications at the time and 700 were from CA kids... Not only does CA have the biggest population, it also seems to have the biggest population of dental applicants... 6 schools couldn't hurt.

I'm thinking about applying to Western because I really like their mission and it seems like a pretty good fit for me.... but I'm a little concerned about going to a brand new school. What do you guys think? Will they have their act together or will the first class be the guinea pigs?

California is a total predent factory. Putting new schools in CA will prevent some of them from flooding the east coast. :smuggrin:

Western is going to limit their class to just 60 students... it's not going to be as big as UOP and USC. When I interviewed at Temple, Brian said they had 3500 applications at the time and 700 were from CA kids... Not only does CA have the biggest population, it also seems to have the biggest population of dental applicants... 6 schools couldn't hurt.

I totally agree. Whenever a SDNer asks a question about their chance of getting in, many people say "your in-state school is your best bet if you are not from California." Of course, this is partially because UCLA and UCSF are two of the best dental schools.
I don't think this is unfair, but one or two more state dental school will be great.

Hey! That was uncalled for...albeit true. :rolleyes:

New schools will do them a favor since more of them won't have to trek cross country to go to dental school. :smuggrin:

Just messing with ya. :p

Another state that I think could use another dental school, Florida.

I'd say that for the population (nearly 40,000,000) 6 schools still seems pretty reasonable. Texas, 2nd largest in population, has over 21,000,000 people and 3 dental schools. New York (3rd) has slightly less than 20 mil and 4 dental schools. Pennsylvania has about 13 mil 3 schools. Mass. has 3 schools and less than 7 mil.... Kentucky has 2 schools with a population around 4 million.

I have heard that the brand new D.O. school in Yakima, Washington was planning on expanding within the next four to five years to also have a dental school. The name of the school is Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences. I think they are planning on having a program much like A.T. Still University in Arizona.

To bad it's in such an armpit like Yakima!

is midwestern a private school? also, do midwestern & western accept mostly ca residents?

I had also heard the rumor of a Kirksville school. I go to Truman up there and it would be great to have a dental school right there too.

will western university be partaking in AADSAS?