New dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mknemati

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about several new schools opening with the next two years. I have heard of Texas A & M which was intriguing, but they would prefer Texas residents. Any other schools? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that Midwestern is building a Dental School at their Downers Grove, IL campus. (Chicago suburb). I heard they're aiming for a 2011 first class matriculation.

I would not believe anything until I see it built. The University of Utah has been "planning" to put in a Dental School and have a class enter 2009 or 2010 (and probably 2000, 2001, ect) but still no Dental School.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read here and heard about University of New England starting a dental school on their Portland, ME Westbrook campus. They have the only medical school in the state and a dental hygiene program as well, so a doctoral program for dentistry would seem like the next obvious expansion step.

I would not believe anything until I see it built. The University of Utah has been "planning" to put in a Dental School and have a class enter 2009 or 2010 (and probably 2000, 2001, ect) but still no Dental School.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D your comments always crack me up lol so true though!

Here in North Carolina we currently only have one dental school (UNC) but back in 2007 I read an article in the newspaper that said they had approved to build one at East Carolina University and that it would be ready to graduate it's first class in 2014, so we'll see how true that is.

Western University's dental school is brand new this year - entering class of 2009 in Pomona, so given this new school, I don't think there will be ANOTHER new school in California for a while...

In response to my previously posted response, I did the research and it's official. In North Carolina there is a new dental school at East Carolina University. They will be enrolling their first class in fall of 2011. http://www.ecu.edu/dentistry/