New Dermatology Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imronburgandy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting derm residency in June of this year and have recently heard that the boards exam has been changed to a module type format spread over the 3 years in replacement of the ITE. I've tried searching for answers but I cannot find any real information. Just wondering if anyone has a good summary/useful information about this change for the incoming class?

Members don't see this ad.

If this is true, I want to know!

https://dlpgnf31z4a6s.cloudfront.net/media/117993/2-abd_exam-of-the-future-final-0908.pdf

A basic exam will be for first year residents and will not be pass/fail (similar to current ITE)

Then, during 2nd and 3rd year, you have to pass the core exam. It consists of 4 modules, so I guess it's like 4 'mini' tests that you have to pass.

Then when you graduate, you have to take the applied exam (what will replace boards) and pass.

If you're starting Dermatology residency this year, it looks like you'll be the first group to experience the process as it is intended, with none of it being practice.

The core exam(s) sound kinda painful. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
based on the linked graphic, looks like if you are starting derm this july, you are "resident #3" and will be taking the new applied exam in 2020. im starting this july as well.