New DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dok101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many new DO schools are either in the planning stages or set to begin admitting students for the 2006 academic year and beyond?

Members don't see this ad.

dok101 said:
Does anyone know how many new DO schools are either in the planning stages or set to begin admitting students for the 2006 academic year and beyond?

Arizona (KCOM)
Washington State

OSUdoc08 said:
Arizona (KCOM)
Washington State

Do know know when those schools will become available on aacom application website?

Members don't see this ad :)
One in Washington State is supposed to open for 2007. It still is in planning, and I don't know if it will be on AACOM web site anytime soon. I don't know much about the one in Arizona.

On a related note, are any DO/MD schools closing, or is this an attempt to increase the number of physicians?

Pose said:
On a related note, are any DO/MD schools closing, or is this an attempt to increase the number of physicians?

Increase number of physicians.

There is an expected shortage due to the baby boomers.

And when the shortage is under control? Won't there be a surplus, or will the growth in population balance this out?

I wonder if so many people were worried about the future demand/supply of physicians 20, 50, 100 years ago?

damn, DO schools are opening up like crazy! every year there is like 1 or 2!

omaralt said:

Are they going to then.. begin to gradually close schools and decrease enrollment as the babyboomers start dying off? ... or in 40 years from now. are we going to have a major surplus and a doctors a dime a dozen in this country?

Pose said:
And when the shortage is under control? Won't there be a surplus, or will the growth in population balance this out?

I wonder if so many people were worried about the future demand/supply of physicians 20, 50, 100 years ago?

There will never be a surplus of physicians. There are so many counties that have 1 or 0 doctors.

Populations will always continue to grow.

OzDDS said:
Are they going to then.. begin to gradually close schools and decrease enrollment as the babyboomers start dying off? ... or in 40 years from now. are we going to have a major surplus and a doctors a dime a dozen in this country?
dude....just like stated in the MATRIX, we're like parasites on Earth. parasites taking less care of ourselves that is. do you honestly think there will be population woes in 50 years because of actions taken now? :rolleyes:

It's funny how the majority of the people that are against new schools are already accepted or are in med school.

FutureDocDO said:
It's funny how the majority of the people that are against new schools are already accepted or are in med school.

Which demonstrates an informed & unbiased approach.

Pre-medical students don't care how opening new schools will affect the profession as a whole, as long as it increases their chances of getting accepted.

omaralt said:

It's like a friggen McDonald's franchise. Always nice to see more schools open up just as an osteopathic residency program in Texas shuts down, and their residents have to scramble to find new places.

And I'm not against new schools opening up, just wish they wouldn't happen so fast. What's it been, like 6 new ones in the last 2 years? 500 - 800 new DO's each year with the same number of residency positions? I'm no expert on the subject, but that doesn't sound kosher.

Fenrezz said:
It's like a friggen McDonald's franchise. Always nice to see more schools open up just as an osteopathic residency program in Texas shuts down, and their residents have to scramble to find new places.

And I'm not against new schools opening up, just wish they wouldn't happen so fast. What's it been, like 6 new ones in the last 2 years? 500 - 800 new DO's each year with the same number of residency positions? I'm no expert on the subject, but that doesn't sound kosher.
yeah, there's a definite number-crunch going on, there. also, most of the osteopathic schools i'm familiar with (and i'm certainly no expert either) have huge class sizes (>200). so i'm guessing that 6 new schools will produce far more than "500-800 new DO's".

it seems like every day i read a signature on SDN that says "joe schmoe, [ostepathic school i've never even heard of] class of 2009". what steps do DO schools have to take before they can charter a new school? is there some liscensing body that oversees this stuff?

OSUdoc08 said:

Pre-medical students don't care how opening new schools will affect the profession as a whole, as long as it increases their chances of getting accepted.

It actually scares me, as a pre-med. I'd much rather work for my spot than make it into the profession and have it drastically change. I have actually gotten responses patronizing me for being "selfish" by not wanting a surplus of physicians (and/or lowered standards, NP/CRNA/... dominating certain specialities), so naturally I've always felt this was a stupid concern of mine, but it's interesting to hear medical students are also bothered by the idea. I really hope MDs/DOs start to lobby like hell. I plan to when I get the chance, anyway.

OSUdoc08 said:

It's not because they don't care; it's because they want to increase their chances of getting in. I am sure everybody felt like that BEFORE getting accepted.

FutureDocDO said:
It's not because they don't care; it's because they want to increase their chances of getting in. I am sure everybody felt like that BEFORE getting accepted.

While true, it's also not a good reason to open up schools.

(So more people can get in that otherwise wouldn't.)

A better reason would be a looming physician shortage.