New driver's license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a new residence going to a new state, do I have to apply for a new driver's license or can I still claim "student" status like in med school or college?

Members don't see this ad.

It is state dependent, but the vast majority require that you get an in-state driver's license and car registration within a certain time period, like 30 to 60 days. You are, for all intents and purposes, becoming a resident of that state. If you own property in your medical school's state (Texas, I'm assuming), then you can probably keep your voter registration there if you so choose. There is no national standard for state residency, but voter registration is the single most important factor.

- Check with your states DMV
- Do you have a car ? While I have driven cars with out of state plates for years without problems, a room-mate of mine got dinged when the muncipality decided that parking his car on their streets x out of the last 30 days constituted being a 'tax resident' and charged him estimated property tax on his car.

Ugh. I am moving from Texas to California soon. I don't own property in Texas and will not own in Cali. So I guess this means I have to make the change including my voter's registration info. :mad:

How does the female doctor handle the change to resident and marriage?

Which name do you use for degree, license to be MD, license to be driver, voting registration, etc.?

She is getting married three weeks, May 31, after graduating, May 9, and residency starts July 1.

Depends on the state.

I bought a car when I moved here, so I had to get a new driver's license. Man I hate the DMV.

Which name do you use for degree, license to be MD, license to be driver, voting registration, etc.?

Whatever she does, she needs to make sure that all documents relating to professional activity show the same name.

If she can get her civil marriage done before graduation, she would have the benefit of having medical degree and all licensing paperwork in the same name. Name changes and hyphenate names can create major headaches in credentialing paperwork down the line (which can cost big $$ in lost revenue for the practice). Alternatively, she can stick with her maiden name on all medical paperwork (also comes in handy for the about 50% of cases where doctors marriages fail).

Most states require you to register there within 30-60 days, as stated above. Now, if you have another name on your title, you might be able to get by with keeping the vehicle registered in that state for a time. Depends on how Gestapo your local constabulary is.
However, don't get new tags and not change your license (or the other way around). It is a crime to register your car and you in different states. Won't matter unless you get pulled over, but it can be a huge pain if you do.
It makes sense to register where you live, especially if you have to move a long ways. It will be a hassle to renew tags 8 states away, even if the renewal does get mailed to your new address.

It is a crime to register your car and you in different states.

You may want to qualify that with 'in some states'.

Before I changed my residence to my current state, I already had my cars registered here. I checked with the DOT license office at the time and they told me that cars need to be registered where they are based but that I only need to get an in-state license once I take up residence (or if I mark 'resident on a hunting permit, but that is a different story).

It makes sense to register where you live, especially if you have to move a long ways. It will be a hassle to renew tags 8 states away, even if the renewal does get mailed to your new address.

My state doesn't have a safety or emissions inspection and the tags get renewed on a website. If I kept a mailbox here, I could be on mars and keep valid tags and license.

One thing to consider when keeping out of state tags is whether your insurance company cares where your car is parked at night. (somewhere, deep in the pile of paperwork you get when you sign up and throw away there are typically rules on what you have to report to them unless you want to forfeit coverage).

Ugh. I am moving from Texas to California soon. I don't own property in Texas and will not own in Cali. So I guess this means I have to make the change including my voter's registration info. :mad:

be careful-

I have heard that you have 30 days in Cali to get a current driver's licence. The fine is somewhere in upwards of $1000.

I'm not sure how this works or how they know other than asking you. You're not a student anymore so the "student" defense (which I have been using for 8 years in TX since I have a never-expiring AZ license) probably won't work without you lying to the cops.

I'm moving from AZ (with a never expiring license) to NY, where I won't ever drive. Do I still need to get a NY id card or something?

I'm moving from AZ (with a never expiring license) to NY, where I won't ever drive. Do I still need to get a NY id card or something?

You might as well transition to a NY licence. what if you want to rent a car? what if you drive someone else's car?

You might as well transition to a NY licence. what if you want to rent a car? what if you drive someone else's car?

His Arizona license is still legal. There is no need to switch licenses in the above situations, which would be admittedly infrequent (ie, I've rented cars in many states with many out of state licenses) and not necessary.

His Arizona license is still legal. There is no need to switch licenses in the above situations, which would be admittedly infrequent (ie, I've rented cars in many states with many out of state licenses) and not necessary.

Cool. I think maryland licences don't really do that (or maybe it's other licences don't stay good in maryland). lucky. :smuggrin:

Cool. I think maryland licences don't really do that (or maybe it's other licences don't stay good in maryland). lucky. :smuggrin:

Its the same across all states.

Every state has a requirement that if you are a resident there, you need to get a new driver's license within a certain period of time. You can choose to ignore that rule or follow it as you see fit.

However, in the case of the above poster who is NOT going to be driving and just wants to use the license for ID, it is not legally necessary to obtain a NYS license. Even if he were to borrow a friend's car or rent a car. Same thing in Maryland...having been stopped for a traffic violation in your fine state, there was no problem driving there, even frequently (since my ex was a fellow there), on a PA license. Even when my car got towed for parking tickets and I had to go to court to get it out!:p Anyway, Maryland recognizes other state licenses and its not a violation to be driving on one in the state. I'd venture it would be unusual for you to be pulled over and have the trooper try and investigate how long you've lived in the state and ticket you for that.

My point is that technically if you move to another state and are driving there, they expect you to get a new license. However, in the case of rare car rental or borrowing a friend's car, I don't think its necessary.

The advantage for the user above might be certain situations, like hooking up cable or getting utilities where they want an ID with a local address. Although some will accept an out of state license with a local bank statement, etc. He could try and apply for a NYS ID card although some systems have the ability to search other state's databases and may deny it and make him turn in his Az license.

The nice thing about the AZ license is that it doesn't expire until I'm 65 or so, so I'm gonna keep that picture even as I get old!!:D

If you move to NY and you wish to exercise driving priviledges in NYS, you MUST get a NYS drivers license within 30 days. If you don't drive in NY and you use your DL simply as ID, you don't really fall under the DMVs jurisdiction.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving

Btw. Maryland allows you to drive your car with out of state license and out of state tags if you have a valid reason to do so (e.g. temporary job assignment). In order to be legal, you need to get a 'resident sticker' for $25 from the local DMV office. That way, they get their pound of flesh and won't bother you :D

If you move to NY and you wish to exercise driving priviledges in NYS, you MUST get a NYS drivers license within 30 days. If you don't drive in NY and you use your DL simply as ID, you don't really fall under the DMVs jurisdiction.

That was my point. The user said he wouldn't be driving.

It was another who asked about renting a car or driving a friend's car. I think that would be an uncommon enough situation that while technically perhaps ANYTIME you drive a car in NYS as a resident there you HAVE to have a NYS license, it seems a bit ridiculous to obtain one for the off chance he might rent a car or borrow someone else's some day.

Call me a scofflaw!

Disclaimer: I have refused so far to get Az plates because I had to pay for the Jersey ones for my car even though I was moving out of state in 36 hrs (they wouldn't let me apply for Az ones). I plan on getting my use out of them especially since the cost of registration is based on the cost of the car. Plus lots of snow birds see my car in the lot and it is a good conversation starter. Not saying its legal in my case.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll hold on to my AZ license due to the fact that it won't expire for another 39 years and just get a NYS id card. I won't need a license to ride the subway and I doubt I'll be renting a car in NYC anytime soon, especially during all my free time in residency.