New England residency programs

Started by jkt76
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jkt76

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I am a 4th year medical student on the west coast and am starting to think about psychiatry residencies. I am really interested in heading to New England and am specifically interested in the programs at Maine Medical Center, University of Vermont, Dartmouth and Brown. I would love to hear some people's thoughts about these programs.

Also, I did not do well on Step 1. I can’t remember my exact score, but it was just above passing which if memory serves was 180-something. Are Dartmouth and Brown are out of the question for me? On the plus side, I did very well in my third year rotations and am taking Step 2 early to (hopefully) make up for my poor Step 1 score.

One last question... If I only have time to do one away rotation during this year, would one of these programs be better than the others?

Thanks for your help! 🙂
 
I don't really have any answers, but I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm mostly interested in Boston residencies. I've heard Dartmouth is less competitive than some of the other ivy leagues.
BTW, I'm taking step 2 early too (2 weeks after 3rd year.) Everyone is making me nervous about it because they are taking more time, so I am starting to doubt myself......