New Gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therese737

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get an estimate of what my cumulative GPA will be after I take my premed courses.

My school is on the quarter system, and I will have taken about 8 classes total, each one 4 credit hours.

Then I may go ahead and take 5 additional courses elsewhere, but on a semester system.

Does anyone know the equation to calculate my new GPA? Let's say my old GPA (cumulative) was a 2.0, for 120 hours total.

In Sum: Will it be pssible to raise my lousy 2.0 GPA to a 3.0 at least, after taking over 10 classes and getting all A's and B's?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a GPA 2.0 and want to raise your GPA to 3.0 then you must take the same number of units that you had right now with all As. For example, so far you complete 120 units with the GPA of 2.0 then you need to get 120 units with straight As more to raise your GPA to 3.0

Here is the formula:

OG= your old average GPA that you have right now
N= number of units you complete so far

NG= the new average GPA you want to achieve
X= number of units you need to accomplish with 4.0 GPA, this is what you want to calculate

then

NG= ( OG*N + 4.0*X)/( X+N)

Solve for X we have:

X= [(NG-OG)*N] /(4.0-NG)

In your case, if you want to improve from 2.0 to 3.0 then
NG= 3.0
OG=2.0

then X= (3-2)*N/(4-3) = N= number of units you complete so far.

Al Galois