• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Therese737

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
I am trying to get an estimate of what my cumulative GPA will be after I take my premed courses.

My school is on the quarter system, and I will have taken about 8 classes total, each one 4 credit hours.

Then I may go ahead and take 5 additional courses elsewhere, but on a semester system.

Does anyone know the equation to calculate my new GPA? Let's say my old GPA (cumulative) was a 2.0, for 120 hours total.

In Sum: Will it be pssible to raise my lousy 2.0 GPA to a 3.0 at least, after taking over 10 classes and getting all A's and B's?

albertgalois

15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
If you have a GPA 2.0 and want to raise your GPA to 3.0 then you must take the same number of units that you had right now with all As. For example, so far you complete 120 units with the GPA of 2.0 then you need to get 120 units with straight As more to raise your GPA to 3.0

Here is the formula:

OG= your old average GPA that you have right now
N= number of units you complete so far

NG= the new average GPA you want to achieve
X= number of units you need to accomplish with 4.0 GPA, this is what you want to calculate

then

NG= ( OG*N + 4.0*X)/( X+N)

Solve for X we have:

X= [(NG-OG)*N] /(4.0-NG)

In your case, if you want to improve from 2.0 to 3.0 then
NG= 3.0
OG=2.0

then X= (3-2)*N/(4-3) = N= number of units you complete so far.

Al Galois

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.