New grad ED physicians opposing tPA use for strokes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurologo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeing more and more young ED physicians fresh out of residencies having almost a militant opposition to tPA use for strokes. They would call mild yet disabling symptoms as "TIA" even though symptoms are persisting and refuse to give tPA. One guy even aborted tPA in the middle of the infusion saying they are the attendings and we the neurologists are just consultants whose recommendation they can reject. Their NIHSS report 2 when it is actually 8 consistently for several days and MRI showing significant strokes.

They are defiant of AHA/ASA guidelines and scoff at the idea that tPA is effective. I know there used to be a party of ED physicians who were very skeptical of tPA. But these young ones are actually militant. Someone mentioned a podcast for ED physicians going around that promotes this movement. Anyone else seeing this trend? I asked my stroke coordinator to report all this to AHA/ASA.

I partly understand where they are coming from but also very concerning for patient care not to mention the headaches of dealing with these mis-educated physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a real problem. They are everywhere on social media and their own blogosphere about this issue. They stridently reject overwhelming consensus of experts in favor of their own alternative reanalyses and interpretations like they are Scott Atlas presenting alternative facts on something completely outside his/their field. If a study, metaanalysis or set of guidelines supports benefit for tPA,, then they'll just say the authors are in the pocket of Genentech. It's insane stuff coming from an actual medical field.

Last edited:
I haven't run into that. I've had ED docs be skeptical of TPA especially when the NIHSS is low (as we know, it under-estimates posterior circulation strokes) but for the most part once they trigger a stroke alert I have to go to the bedside and barring any major issues with ABCs I take care of the rest. I.E., I assess, they come with me to the scanner, and I decide if TPA will be given or not. Pharmacists mix the medication and the order goes under me. Usually I will track the physician after and say "I'm giving TPA" or maybe not TPA maybe non neurologic, etc etc.

I haven't run into that issue, but I think it's kind of medical-legal suicide from their end if they are stopping your infusions and not letting you treat a patient they consult you on, especially if your documentation reflects this (and it should).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
EM doc here and I don't know of any EM docs that would not push TPA after discussion with neuro.

Are these the same ER docs who intubate every patient who has a seizure?

Reactions: 4 users
I've seen a few over-eager intubations (sort of borderline) but thankfully this isn't my experience either.

I've seen a few over-eager intubations (sort of borderline) but thankfully this isn't my experience either.
Yeah I've only had to persuade the ED not to intubate a status dramaticus once, and he was a pretty convincing one. Woulda made me think twice if I wasn't looking at PDR on his EEG.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I've only had to persuade the ED not to intubate a status dramaticus once, and he was a pretty convincing one. Woulda made me think twice if I wasn't looking at PDR on his EEG.
I'm a PGY5 and its my first time hearing about status dramatics. I love it.

EM doc here and I don't know of any EM docs that would not push TPA after discussion with neuro.
Perhaps it is dependent on when and where ED docs are trained?

But for these young ones to go directly against the "standard of care" for stroke codes as outlines in American Stroke Association's guidelines that is widely accepted and used by neurologists and stroke centers is pretty daring and foolish. Who do they think the expert witnesses will be and which "standard of care" will be used in court cases involving the use of Alteplase in strokes?

Does anyone know what their scientific justifications for rejecting Alteplase are? They surely act and talk very confident and convinced they are doing the right thing by denying tPA to patients while they don't even understand the concept of TIA or proper way to perform NIHSS or its limitations. They act like crusaders coming to protect the helpless stroke patients from the tyranny of neurologists. Do they act this way with cardiologists in ACS codes with use of IV heparin drip?

I haven't run into that issue, but I think it's kind of medical-legal suicide from their end if they are stopping your infusions and not letting you treat a patient they consult you on, especially if your documentation reflects this (and it should).
Yes, I write details of why tPA should have been given and who rejected or opposed my recommendation. This is mainly to protect myself.

The expert witnesses will be all be EM physicians as well, not neurologists in most states. Regardless, peer review, hospital administration, and their malpractice providers will make this line of thinking painful for them. Hospital administration won't want anything jeopardizing stroke center accreditation, their malpractice providers will advise them not to do it. The biggest risk would be an adverse peer review finding getting reported to NPDB which could seriously jeopardize future jobs, credentialing/privileges (a much worse outcome than losing a malpractice suit). Talk to any recently trained EM physician and you'll find this belief in varying degrees as its peppered deeply into their CME type blogs and articles from the earliest parts of their training. Thankfully where I did residency a lot of them rotate with us on stroke and there is far less indoctrination with those that rotate with us.

I’ve seen this on Twitter I’m afraid, where “foamed” and “rebel” ER docs hopelessly merge any negative thrombolytic therapy as a negative tpa trial, dismiss positive trials, and say that anyone who says otherwise is in Genentech’s pocket. I kinda got in it with them just pointing out the fact they're comparing trials that went out to 9 hours using streptokinase with a positive tPA trial, and it was a swarm of idiocy and accusations of COI. This latter really pissed me off because I do Alzheimer trials with Genentech, which has nothing to do with taking a position about tpa. (The ER people ignored Roche funding, obviously not sophisticated enough to know that Roche bought Genentech years ago and they've largely abandoned throbolytic R&D).

Then about a year ago a lawyer asked me to review a case about a missed stroke diagnosis in which they were trying to say that it was un-treatable anyway. Told them sorry, but this is indefensible (and that'll be money please). Sometimes people need to find out for themselves I'm afraid. I just hope they don't hurt many patients along the way.

And FWIW, I work with a bunch of amazing ER doctors who do things like check visual fields, call for tPA, really think about cases and what they could have done better, communicate issues with their team to improve. I think they're the best doctors in the hospital and I hold them in the absolute highest regard. So it is with something like vertigo to go online and see the idiocy and willful self-delusions of many in their field. I get the issue: that ER doctors have to staff remote places and they oppose strict standard-of-care guidelines. But I don't get their nearly religious fervor where tpa is the devil.

This is the thread I've always wanted but was too afraid to create. I'm very grateful, thank you.

I just helped implement a 24 hour telestroke service at our hospital. I basically liased between emergency medicine and the hospitalists.

The only way we got political traction was bringing all strokes under the hospitalists' clinical governance, meaning that a stroke code was activated on triage and then assessed/discussed with telestroke by the medical service. EM only got involved if there were a threat to life with a view to stabilise for further stroke assessment by the medical service. The reason why was purely because of their opposition to tPa. This opposition was uniform, even amongst trainees, and it very much seems in vogue.

I myself am agnostic mainly out of ignorance, because the literature is truely vast (although I'm digging through it). I'm just curious if there are any "counter-skeptical" articles in response to things like this:

I don't have a lot of neurologists at my hospital with whom to discuss the data. I'd very much appreciate any and all resources.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the thread I've always wanted but was too afraid to create. I'm very grateful, thank you.

I just helped implement a 24 hour telestroke service at our hospital. I basically liased between emergency medicine and the hospitalists.

The only way we got political traction was bringing all strokes under the hospitalists' clinical governance, meaning that a stroke code was activated on triage and then assessed/discussed with telestroke by the medical service. EM only got involved if there were a threat to life with a view to stabilise for further stroke assessment by the medical service. The reason why was purely because of their opposition to tPa. This opposition was uniform, even amongst trainees, and it very much seems in vogue.

I myself am agnostic mainly out of ignorance, because the literature is truely vast (although I'm digging through it). I'm just curious if there are any "counter-skeptical" articles in response to things like this:

I don't have a lot of neurologists at my hospital with whom to discuss the data. I'd very much appreciate any and all resources.

The best counter-skeptical articles are the authoritative guidelines from the AHA and the Cochrane meta-analysis. There's really no point in making blog posts attempting to counter bad-faith arguments like SGEM has consistently made on this topic - anyone citing negative studies of thrombolytics that pre-date alteplase or that use completely different administration criteria (based on cardiac criteria before we understood what we were doing in stroke) is doing exactly that.

Absolutely insane. The hospital should just have primary stroke center accreditation pulled, which would happen anyways if they don't have a director which I'm guessing is you. I would have bowed out of any acute stroke involvement with the hospital and let them figure it out. The administration really should be on your side as they usually are just contracting out the entire ED staff to EmCare or TeamHealth anyways. A single complaint from administration to these management companies would cause a big 'political shift' at these EM management companies, as the hospital can always hire their own and get rid of the contract.

Absolutely insane. The hospital should just have primary stroke center accreditation pulled, which would happen anyways if they don't have a director which I'm guessing is you. I would have bowed out of any acute stroke involvement with the hospital and let them figure it out. The administration really should be on your side as they usually are just contracting out the entire ED staff to EmCare or TeamHealth anyways. A single complaint from administration to these management companies would cause a big 'political shift' at these EM management companies, as the hospital can always hire their own and get rid of the contract.

I'm no director. I'm an intensive care trainee in Australia. This was a very small part of a project to establish 24 hour acute stroke services in rural and regional Australia. Our hospital was a pilot site. The fight was fought by whatever means, and I'm proud of the work.

Our EM doctors are well regarded and a great bunch of human beings. Everyone is trying to do right by their patients. It would be nice to meet their arguments head-on, if you have any helpful articles to share, that's what I'm mostly after - a contrarian view of the contrarian view. Quoting the AHA/ASA guidelines is NOT helpful when they're own college expresses scepticism about all the data underlying these guidelines.

Last edited:
I'm no director. I'm an intensive care trainee in Australia. This was a very small part of a project to establish 24 hour acute stroke services in rural and regional Australia. Our hospital was a pilot site. The fight was fought by whatever means, and I'm proud of the end result.

Our EM doctors are well regarded and a great bunch of human beings. Everyone is trying to do right by their patients. It would be nice to meet their arguments head-on, if you have any helpful articles to share, that's what I'm mostly after - a contrarian view of the contrarian view. Quoting the AHA/ASA guidelines is NOT helpful when they're own college expresses scepticism about all the data underlying them.

Ah this makes more sense- the regulatory environment in the US regarding stroke is quite different and rural locations change everything. Defensive medicine is also a much more powerful force over here in the US and malpractice carriers well know they are more likely to get sued when tPA is not given (and potentially end up in a big settlement).

This review (one of many) seems to have convinced the extremely biased EM evidence review site 'TheNNT' to change their recommendation. In 2013 their recommendation was the usual resistance you are running into. There is a discussion on their site that may help you have these conversations and change some minds. Personally, I think there is a worldview difference from how a neurologist thinks and an EM physician thinks, and bridging this gap is extremely difficult (as is changing anyone's mind on any strong belief really).

Reactions: 2 users
Ah this makes more sense- the regulatory environment in the US regarding stroke is quite different and rural locations change everything. Defensive medicine is also a much more powerful force over here in the US and malpractice carriers well know they are more likely to get sued when tPA is not given (and potentially end up in a big settlement).

This review (one of many) seems to have convinced the extremely biased EM evidence review site 'TheNNT' to change their recommendation. In 2013 their recommendation was the usual resistance you are running into. There is a discussion on their site that may help you have these conversations and change some minds. Personally, I think there is a worldview difference from how a neurologist thinks and an EM physician thinks, and bridging this gap is extremely difficult (as is changing anyone's mind on any strong belief really).

Wow, thanks for that. One thing I noticed in dealing with Foamed was the very biased approach towards anyone not in the ER 'tribe.' Again, this was vertiginous for me given my uniformly awesome relationship with the ER docs I know and work with. Instant animosity and distrust.

So it was somewhat refreshing to see Dr. Eddy Lang on the pro side of the debate, who's a very respected ER doctor in Calgary. I'm afraid neurologists have to just keep doing what we're doing and let the ER doctors sort themselves out. There's a large degree of tribalism here that we can't see or fight.

Why are you afraid to create a thread on an online forum?
It’s anonymous and creates great and sometimes controversial discussions.
Whatever the case, these people can’t reach through the wire cables and beat you.
Come visit the anesthesia forum and you will quickly lose your fear of creating a debate online.

• Haha
Why are you afraid to create a thread on an online forum?
It’s anonymous and creates great and sometimes controversial discussions.
Whatever the case, these people can’t reach through the wire cables and beat you.
Come visit the anesthesia forum and you will quickly lose your fear of creating a debate online.

Like me in my Twitter conversation, thinking, “Oh, these aren’t stroke experts, they’ve never done a stroke trial. I have. I’ll educate them.” Then I realize they are delusional, creating their own meta-analyses across all thrombolytics and all times. Then a non-MD hack pulled my COI where I do research with Genentech and told me I’d violated disclosure ethics.

This did not create a great discussion. If anything, they immediately dismissed me for a neurology pharma ***** and stiffened their resolve.

So for me it isn’t fear, it is just a sense that this is a firm and fixed delusion where words won’t work. I wish them and their patients the best and believe their ideas will be sorted out in malpractice verdicts and settlements and in quiet discussions with their ER and even neuro buddies whom they actually like and respect.

I'd be interested in seeing a point-by-point rebuttal of the anti-TPA points. It seems the standard neurologist rebuttal is simply "of course TPA works. It's FDA approved (but only <3 hrs) and AHA recommended!"

I'd be interested in seeing a point-by-point rebuttal of the anti-TPA points. It seems the standard neurologist rebuttal is simply "of course TPA works. It's FDA approved (but only <3 hrs) and AHA recommended!"
First, the recommendation of the relevant professional society and the approval of the FDA should carry a heavy weight, as those recommendations are made by those with the most expertise in this field, rather than acute care generalists who only interface with stroke at one brief stage in the process.

But to answer the question, here are the common ones:

1) "Yes there is a benefit to disability at 3 months, but look at the increased bleed risk! It looks almost as large as the mRS reduction!"

The nice thing about using a 90 day disability metric is that adverse outcomes due to bleeding are baked in. The significant disability reduction occurs even with the bleed risk included. The increased bleed risk is scary for neurology and EM alike as it's our most immediate feedback, but the important thing is how people are living afterward, not how often our anuses pucker when a post-tPA CT pops up.

2) "The fragility index of NINDS was low!" "IST3 was poorly run!" "The authors changed the primary outcome mid-study!"

I'm lumping these together because the answer to these and similar criticisms is the same. None of the major tPA trials was perfectly run and only NINDS really stands on its own, though it probably wasn't ideally powered for such a noisy signal. Some of the more wild criticisms of how studies were run have to be interpreted in context of the history of the trials, where multiple trials with similar criteria but different endpoints were being run simultaneously, so when one trial looked positive the field had to shift mid- course. The fact that the data comes from multiple moderately-powered studies with similar criteria means that well-performed pooled analyses and meta-analyses are a better tool than looking at the individual study data, which is why the current AHA recommendations cite those papers rather than the original trials. Conducting a larger repeat placebo-controlled trial as often demanded by the EM blogosphere simply isn't ethically plausible as we clearly lack clinical equipoise to give placebo in a trial context at this point.

3) "There have been 11/14/xx tPA trials and you guys are just cherry picking the ones that worked!"

Some of those trials didn't even use alteplase. Others had wildly different criteria, with early ones being based on cardiac thrombolysis criteria before we understood the huge differences. It took analyzing the failed trials to find the real efficacy window. Lumping these together as if we just tried the same drug in the same way over and over until random chance gave us a spurious result is such a fundamentally dishonest argument that it frankly discredits the integrity of anyone who uses or even alludes to it for support.

4) "You're a Genentech shill!"

Caught me red handed. I expect my check in the mail any day now.

Reactions: 5 users
First, the recommendation of the relevant professional society and the approval of the FDA should carry a heavy weight, as those recommendations are made by those with the most expertise in this field, rather than acute care generalists who only interface with stroke at one brief stage in the process.

1) "Yes there is a benefit to disability at 3 months, but look at the increased bleed risk! It looks almost as large as the mRS reduction!"

The nice thing about using a 90 day disability metric is that adverse outcomes due to bleeding are baked in. The significant disability reduction occurs even with the bleed risk included. The increased bleed risk is scary for neurology and EM alike as it's our most immediate feedback, but the important thing is how people are living afterward, not how often our anuses pucker when a post-tPA CT pops up.

2) "The fragility index of NINDS was low!" "IST3 was poorly run!" "The authors changed the primary outcome mid-study!"

I'm lumping these together because the answer to these and similar criticisms is the same. None of the major tPA trials was perfectly run and only NINDS really stands on its own, though it probably wasn't ideally powered for such a noisy signal. Some of the more wild criticisms of how studies were run have to be interpreted in context of the history of the trials, where multiple trials with similar criteria but different endpoints were being run simultaneously, so when one trial looked positive the field had to shift mid- course. The fact that the data comes from multiple moderately-powered studies with similar criteria means that well-performed pooled analyses and meta-analyses are a better tool than looking at the individual study data, which is why the current AHA recommendations cite those papers rather than the original trials. Conducting a larger repeat placebo-controlled trial as often demanded by the EM blogosphere simply isn't ethically plausible as we clearly lack clinical equipoise to give placebo in a trial context at this point.

3) "There have been 11/14/xx tPA trials and you guys are just cherry picking the ones that worked!"

Some of those trials didn't even use alteplase. Others had wildly different criteria, with early ones being based on cardiac thrombolysis criteria before we understood the huge differences. It took analyzing the failed trials to find the real efficacy window. Lumping these together as if we just tried the same drug in the same way over and over until random chance gave us a spurious result is such a fundamentally dishonest argument that it frankly discredits the integrity of anyone who uses or even alludes to it for support.

Wow. This is one of the best things I’ve read on this subject, or any subject, here or anywhere! Thanks!

Thank you for writing this up!
I've always been curious about their thinking, but I've been too lazy/didn't care enough to read their blogs.

Apologies for the late reply. That said, you really didn't address any of the issues frequently brought up. Instead you mainly focused on straw men.

Regarding your points:
1) Agreed. But one really should account for the fact that the groups in NINDS and ECASS-3 seem unbalanced at baseline which very well may account for the better outcomes. Also, should we be counseling patients and their families that they are likely trading an increased risk of short term fatality for a chance at a better long-term outcome, as was shown in IST-3?

2) I agree. All of the studies seem like a mess. But NINDs was hardly definitive, so why change all the other studies mid-course? Plus the fact that negative studies were stopped early for harm can contribute to mis-weighting meta-analyses towards positive studies. Plus, these studies from the 90s were tiny compared to the lytic literature for ACS. And, changing the primary outcome mid-trial is a pretty bid deal from what I understand.

3) You write this as if these studies were done one by one, gradually refining the criteria for treatment and the treatment protocols. But as you mentioned above, many were going on simultaneously. And if the treatment protocols are so critically important, than why do we (in practice) keep getting rid of the OG exclusion criteria? How many patients in these studies actually had posterior fossa CVAs? Spontaneous cervical artery dissections? Multiple prior strokes? It would be like extrapolating the lytic therapy on stemi's to include nstemi, unstable angina and takotsubo cardiomyopathy.

As far as lumping thrombolytics together, considering that tpa is more or less equivalent to streptokinase in ACS, why is the pathophys in stroke so different. Shouldn't there at least be a trend towards improvement w/ SK? You really don't think there's any cherry-picking going? Atlantis being negative in the 3-5 hr window but then ECASS-III comes out, so it was really that 4.5 to 5 hr time period that was killing people?

Doesn't the fact that NINDs didn't show any short term benefit bother you at all? Especially considering the rapid improvement we often see with successful recanalization from interventional therapy?

Look, I'm not dead set against thrombolysis in stroke by any means. But the think the slavish devotion to it has held up progress. We're probably both over and under treating people because the community is so wedded to the idea that not offering it to someone "within the window" is unethical. We have better diagnostic tools than they did 30 years ago, but why are these only considered to expand eligibility?

Why aren't we using tenectaplase?

By the way, despite my somewhat bombastic post just now, I actually stand by my prior one and would appreciate an actual rebuttal of the points that Hoffman et al make.

Wow. This is one of the best things I’ve read on this subject, or any subject, here or anywhere! Thanks!
Really? You're a stroke expert, and this is really the best thing you've ever read on the topic?

Really? You're a stroke expert, and this is really the best thing you've ever read on the topic?

Yes. His post literally pre-destroyed yours. And you had two months to compose your reply. @Thama was brief but complete. He wrapped up a ton of knowledge and expertise in a 4 min read, max. You should try to be more like him.

Your reply is so wrong that you might want to go get your NP degree. Like “tpa is more or less equivalent to streptokinase” - are you freaking kidding me? You order penicillin or ceftriaxone, or doesn’t it matter since they are more or less equivalent? They. Are. Not. Equivalent.

Just a pathetic post. You don’t show that you understood any of the points. And the last, “I’m not anti-tpa I’m pro safe tPA” is stolen from the anti-vax crowd.

Yes. His post literally pre-destroyed yours. And you had two months to compose your reply. @Thama was brief but complete. He wrapped up a ton of knowledge and expertise in a 4 min read, max. You should try to be more like him.

Your reply is so wrong that you might want to go get your NP degree. Like “tpa is more or less equivalent to streptokinase” - are you freaking kidding me? You order penicillin or ceftriaxone, or doesn’t it matter since they are more or less equivalent? They. Are. Not. Equivalent.

Just a pathetic post. You don’t show that you understood any of the points. And the last, “I’m not anti-tpa I’m pro safe tPA” is stolen from the anti-vax crowd.
Aaand the cycle continues. BRB, I have to go lyse a septic gomer. #tpaissafeformimicsright

#whatcrawledupyourass

• Haha
That guy calling me a pathetic anti-vax NP

Then stop acting like one. An NP would think that one molecule "is more or less equivalent to" another. The anti-vax literally say "I'm not against vaccines, I'm pro-safe vaccines." This is who you are. You're taking an agenda to the data. You're literally taking your agenda down to the molecules.

Not that I have to defend your thoughts in a deposition, but there are some things you might want to consider. Different molecules are NOT more or less equivalent. Pharmakodynamic differences, pharmacokinetics, off target side effects like BP alterations play a huge role. Different therapies get different NDAs for a reason.

tPA is dangerous, especially in inexpert hands. You want something safe, best stick to essential oils.

Apologies for the late reply. That said, you really didn't address any of the issues frequently brought up. Instead you mainly focused on straw men.

Regarding your points:
1) Agreed. But one really should account for the fact that the groups in NINDS and ECASS-3 seem unbalanced at baseline which very well may account for the better outcomes. Also, should we be counseling patients and their families that they are likely trading an increased risk of short term fatality for a chance at a better long-term outcome, as was shown in IST-3?

2) I agree. All of the studies seem like a mess. But NINDs was hardly definitive, so why change all the other studies mid-course? Plus the fact that negative studies were stopped early for harm can contribute to mis-weighting meta-analyses towards positive studies. Plus, these studies from the 90s were tiny compared to the lytic literature for ACS. And, changing the primary outcome mid-trial is a pretty bid deal from what I understand.

3) You write this as if these studies were done one by one, gradually refining the criteria for treatment and the treatment protocols. But as you mentioned above, many were going on simultaneously. And if the treatment protocols are so critically important, than why do we (in practice) keep getting rid of the OG exclusion criteria? How many patients in these studies actually had posterior fossa CVAs? Spontaneous cervical artery dissections? Multiple prior strokes? It would be like extrapolating the lytic therapy on stemi's to include nstemi, unstable angina and takotsubo cardiomyopathy.

As far as lumping thrombolytics together, considering that tpa is more or less equivalent to streptokinase in ACS, why is the pathophys in stroke so different. Shouldn't there at least be a trend towards improvement w/ SK? You really don't think there's any cherry-picking going? Atlantis being negative in the 3-5 hr window but then ECASS-III comes out, so it was really that 4.5 to 5 hr time period that was killing people?

Doesn't the fact that NINDs didn't show any short term benefit bother you at all? Especially considering the rapid improvement we often see with successful recanalization from interventional therapy?

Look, I'm not dead set against thrombolysis in stroke by any means. But the think the slavish devotion to it has held up progress. We're probably both over and under treating people because the community is so wedded to the idea that not offering it to someone "within the window" is unethical. We have better diagnostic tools than they did 30 years ago, but why are these only considered to expand eligibility?

1. Fatalities directly from tPA from hematoma expansion in clinical practice are very very rare if you ask any neurologist that does a high volume of acute stroke and actually follows these patients long term, unlike the ED physicians that have no idea what happens to their 'gomers'. Certainly these don't reach anywhere near the rough 3% we quote from NINDS. Families should always be informed of the small but non-zero risk, as well as the assumed long term benefit in terms they can understand. This discussion must be documented very well. If families don't want to take the risk and are willing to accept a much larger risk of the current (or potentially worse) level of disability from the stroke, that's fine but ill advised most of the time.

2. The other studies you reference use lytics other than alteplase or timeframes well beyond NINDS/ECASS3, so they can't really be discussed as has already been mentioned multiple times. The FDA, AHA/ASA feel NINDS was definitive (and ECASS3) despite your opinion. IST3 and other trials in subgroup analysis confirm the benefits seen in these trials. There is no Genentech conspiracy at the AHA/ASA behind the guidelines, and JCAHO will hold your ED and hospital responsible for sticking to them regardless of what your opinion is.

3. Exclusion criteria must be considered on a case by case basis carefully, and with as much information that can be gathered in the short timeframe as possible. A traumatic subarachnoid that was tiny from a fall 2 years ago is not a reasonable reason not to give tPA if you have all the details available in existing medical records.

Streptokinase is NOT equivalent- it is well known even in laboratory studies that it causes significantly increased ICH and is not as effective at cerebral clot lysis. Tenecteplase may well be better than alteplase, but this has not yet been proven. There is some data it isn't worse, and that it may do better on LVO. It is certainly under active investigation. Genentech also owns tenecteplase so let your conspiracy theories run wild anyways.

As far as your argument on timeframes- CT perfusion data is certainly being considered as a way to both extend timeframes for some patients, and make others ineligible if there is an obviously large infarct core but this is all very experimental with no hard rules that can yet be reliably used in routine clinical practice.

This thread is turning into a dumpster fire in a hurry, but for any ED folks wandering in here it's pretty likely the ED physician will be cut out of the entire tPA process anyways at most hospitals, even rural. Telestroke can easily chop you out of the entire process, other than calling the ICU to admit the patient once we are done treating the patient. Most ED physicians would prefer it this way anyways as they don't enjoy treating stroke, and never follow-up the patients who get better.

Last edited:
  • Love

The arguments I raised are actually those I most commonly find on EM blogs and anti-tPA EM docs on reddit, etc. I actually read a couple of SGEM articles before writing my original post to refresh myself on the form those arguments take these days. If you saw a point that was a true straw-man misrepresentation, please point it out. But declaring "straw-man!" and then not specifying where isn't particularly helpful. I do admit that the arguments I summarized were done in a glib fashion which may have reflected not only my opinion of the quality of the arguments, but also the quality of the people typically making those arguments.

By the way, despite my somewhat bombastic post just now, I actually stand by my prior one and would appreciate an actual rebuttal of the points that Hoffman et al make.

By all means, if there's a particularly compelling argument I've left out that you'd like to discuss, make it or link us to it. I don't pretend to have exhaustively responded to every anti-tPA argument ever made, as my experience of doing so on various threads full of EM people has often resembled attempting to fact-check a Trump debate or fighting the Lernaean Hydra.

Regarding your points:
1) Agreed. But one really should account for the fact that the groups in NINDS and ECASS-3 seem unbalanced at baseline which very well may account for the better outcomes.

This was a very reasonable concern in the early days of tPA - in particular a concern for NINDS (I don't recall similar issues for ECASS-3). This prompted reanalysis with covariation for baseline stroke severity among other relevant factors (finding adjusted OR of good outcome similar to unadjusted OR), as well as pooled analyses once other trial data became available. The fact that the NINDS results appeared to hold up when applicable subgroups from ECASS, ATLANTIS, and IST-3 were added in further argues that this is not a spurious effect from unbalanced groups.

Also, should we be counseling patients and their families that they are likely trading an increased risk of short term fatality for a chance at a better long-term outcome, as was shown in IST-3?

That isn't clear at all. IST-3 showed increased short-term mortality, but remember that the point of that study was to use far more generous inclusion criteria (particularly temporally). NINDS did not show worsened mortality (actually had a trend toward improved mortality at all time points), and pooled analyses have not shown worsened mortality at meaningful timepoints. Acute mortality is too noisy to extrapolate in stroke just as acute NIHSS changes are - the natural history of the disease involves fluctuations, and onset-to-treatment times are unsalvageably confounded by the influence of stroke severity on how quickly strokes are recognized and brought in.

2) I agree. All of the studies seem like a mess. But NINDs was hardly definitive, so why change all the other studies mid-course? Plus the fact that negative studies were stopped early for harm can contribute to mis-weighting meta-analyses towards positive studies. Plus, these studies from the 90s were tiny compared to the lytic literature for ACS.

NINDS was plenty definitive to alter assessments of clinical equipoise and futility analyses for other concurrent studies. That's supposition on my part, though.

The pre-NINDS studies that were stopped early for harm are generally not those included in pooled analyses. Post-NINDS studies like ATLANTIS and IST-3 that were negative had data collection set up with the intention of being compatible with NINDS and ECASS for later analysis. Skew toward positivity in those studies would only be a reasonable assertion if randomization had produced very different group sizes or characteristics, which nobody has argued to my knowledge.

And, changing the primary outcome mid-trial is a pretty bid deal from what I understand.

Yes, which is why generating compatible data from other trials for purposes of pooled analyses was so important, and why the AHA leans on those pooled and meta-analyses rather than just on NINDS-2.

3) You write this as if these studies were done one by one, gradually refining the criteria for treatment and the treatment protocols. But as you mentioned above, many were going on simultaneously.

Those two things aren't really mutually exclusive. The history of acute stroke trials is full of studies that overlapped in time frame but each generation built off the others, from the early days of heparinizing strokes and using therapeutic windows derived from ACS literature, to gradually refining until we reached NINDS. Had NINDS been a negative study based on the part 1 data alone, it just would have been the next trial that would have looked at the part 2 subgroup outcomes and designed their inclusion criteria and outcomes accordingly, and we would have been giving tPA since 1998 instead of 1995. This is an altogether different problem than the implied multiple comparisons argument raised by EM blogs, and that argument is further dismantled by the extensive metaanalysis literature by Cochrane and others.

And if the treatment protocols are so critically important, than why do we (in practice) keep getting rid of the OG exclusion criteria? How many patients in these studies actually had posterior fossa CVAs? Spontaneous cervical artery dissections? Multiple prior strokes? It would be like extrapolating the lytic therapy on stemi's to include nstemi, unstable angina and takotsubo cardiomyopathy.

I don't know where you practice, but where I did residency and still practice, the residents have the original NINDS criteria on their stroke cards for the 0-3 hour window, and only minor modifications to the ECASS criteria for the 3-4.5 hour window. Stroke protocols can vary by institution, but when I was a chief on the stroke service I took calls from a very wide geographic area and never remember anyone trying to push tPA in a cowboyish fashion while ignoring evidence-based criteria. Neurologists and cowboys tend to be a non-overlapping Venn diagram, in case you haven't met many of us.

Furthermore, I don't know where you're getting your exclusion criteria - posterior fossa strokes were not excluded from NINDS, nor were dissections or prior strokes (outside of 3 months).

Also, just as a stylistic aside - referring to stroke as "CVA" is about as correct as referring to diabetes as "the sugar" and leaves a similar impression with most adequately trained neurologists you'll meet. In what other organ system is it acceptable to refer to an ischemic event and a hemorrhagic event with the same lumped abbreviation? Can you imagine signing a patient out to your colleague and saying "well it's either mesenteric ischemia or a huge lower GI bleed, I can't be arsed to think about the difference so let's just call it a GIVA"?

As far as lumping thrombolytics together, considering that tpa is more or less equivalent to streptokinase in ACS, why is the pathophys in stroke so different. Shouldn't there at least be a trend towards improvement w/ SK?

My understanding of the SK data is that the bleed rate was so much higher than anything seen in any alteplase study that it drowned out any improvement signal and had to be stopped very quickly. And yes - the pathophys in stroke is very, very different than ACS. We've learned that the hard way in stroke, as every time we've assumed heart = brain we've been burned, going back to the bad old days of heparinizing acute strokes. Brain tends to bleed into itself, heart doesn't. Lose 5% of myocardial tissue and unless you're really unlucky from a conduction standpoint, you're looking at some mild apical hypokinesis or similar, while losing 5% of brain tissue is quite likely to leave you disabled.

You really don't think there's any cherry-picking going? Atlantis being negative in the 3-5 hr window but then ECASS-III comes out, so it was really that 4.5 to 5 hr time period that was killing people?

ATLANTIS and ECASS-III differed by more than that 1/2 hour - ATLANTIS had a different endpoint (NIHSS <1 - kind of dumb in retrospect but this study lasted forever and went through revisions based on NINDS outcomes), was originally designed for 6 hour time window before revisions, and included people ECASS didn't - the biggest being that NIHSS > 25 were in ATLANTIS but not ECASS-III. It's not as simple as that 4.5-5 hour window being bad (although that's about where pooled analyses show OR reaching 1), and it takes some pretty high-level statistics and data from multiple studies to suss that out. Plus, if we were actually cherry-picking, wouldn't we figure out ways to throw away the negative studies instead of including them in our pooled data?

If you want to argue against the 3-4.5 hour window, however, I will admit that the data there is on much weaker footing and it's even more important to be wise in those situations.

NINDS actually did show short term benefits - mean NIHSS of 14 in both groups went to 12 in the placebo group and 8 in the tPA group at 24 hours out. Wasn't statistically significant because that window is incredibly noisy in both directions, hence why we rely on the 90 day data. However every subsequent analysis I've seen has found trends in that direction.

FYI, thrombectomy is also noisy. For every amazing recovery I've seen (and I've seen some amazing ones, believe me) there are multiple others that don't do much or worsen.

Part of the reason is that the data is simply stronger than most in your specialty appear willing to admit these days. Part of the reason is that all of the diagnostic testing that might better risk-stratify people takes time, and that's a problem. There actually has been a fair amount of work on looking for risk factors for poor outcome post-tPA such as microbleeds on SWI, but the evidence that this helps more people than it hurts based on the amount of time involved isn't there.

I think a lot of us are asking the same thing. The current AHA guidelines have a weak recommendation for choosing it over alteplase, particularly in mild stroke and those going for thrombectomy. The data I've seen looks pretty decent, though I haven't done anything approaching a full review. However it's not part of our stroke protocol, and I've never seen someone come here after getting it elsewhere. My guess is that this is a matter of inertia more than anything, but I would have to check with my friends that do stroke full-time. I'm just a lowly movement disorders guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The arguments I raised are actually those I most commonly find on EM blogs and anti-tPA EM docs on reddit, etc. I actually read a couple of SGEM articles before writing my original post to refresh myself on the form those arguments take these days. If you saw a point that was a true straw-man misrepresentation, please point it out. But declaring "straw-man!" and then not specifying where isn't particularly helpful. I do admit that the arguments I summarized were done in a glib fashion which may have reflected not only my opinion of the quality of the arguments, but also the quality of the people typically making those arguments.

By all means, if there's a particularly compelling argument I've left out that you'd like to discuss, make it or link us to it. I don't pretend to have exhaustively responded to every anti-tPA argument ever made, as my experience of doing so on various threads full of EM people has often resembled attempting to fact-check a Trump debate or fighting the Lernaean Hydra.

This was a very reasonable concern in the early days of tPA - in particular a concern for NINDS (I don't recall similar issues for ECASS-3). This prompted reanalysis with covariation for baseline stroke severity among other relevant factors (finding adjusted OR of good outcome similar to unadjusted OR), as well as pooled analyses once other trial data became available. The fact that the NINDS results appeared to hold up when applicable subgroups from ECASS, ATLANTIS, and IST-3 were added in further argues that this is not a spurious effect from unbalanced groups.

That isn't clear at all. IST-3 showed increased short-term mortality, but remember that the point of that study was to use far more generous inclusion criteria (particularly temporally). NINDS did not show worsened mortality (actually had a trend toward improved mortality at all time points), and pooled analyses have not shown worsened mortality at meaningful timepoints. Acute mortality is too noisy to extrapolate in stroke just as acute NIHSS changes are - the natural history of the disease involves fluctuations, and onset-to-treatment times are unsalvageably confounded by the influence of stroke severity on how quickly strokes are recognized and brought in.

NINDS was plenty definitive to alter assessments of clinical equipoise and futility analyses for other concurrent studies. That's supposition on my part, though.

The pre-NINDS studies that were stopped early for harm are generally not those included in pooled analyses. Post-NINDS studies like ATLANTIS and IST-3 that were negative had data collection set up with the intention of being compatible with NINDS and ECASS for later analysis. Skew toward positivity in those studies would only be a reasonable assertion if randomization had produced very different group sizes or characteristics, which nobody has argued to my knowledge.

Yes, which is why generating compatible data from other trials for purposes of pooled analyses was so important, and why the AHA leans on those pooled and meta-analyses rather than just on NINDS-2.

Those two things aren't really mutually exclusive. The history of acute stroke trials is full of studies that overlapped in time frame but each generation built off the others, from the early days of heparinizing strokes and using therapeutic windows derived from ACS literature, to gradually refining until we reached NIHSS. Had NIHSS been a negative study based on the part 1 data alone, it just would have been the next trial that would have looked at the part 2 subgroup outcomes and designed their inclusion criteria and outcomes accordingly, and we would have been giving tPA since 1998 instead of 1995. This is an altogether different problem than the implied multiple comparisons argument raised by EM blogs, and that argument is further dismantled by the extensive metaanalysis literature by Cochrane and others.

I don't know where you practice, but where I did residency and still practice, the residents have the original NIHSS criteria on their stroke cards for the 0-3 hour window, and only minor modifications to the ECASS criteria for the 3-4.5 hour window. Stroke protocols can vary by institution, but when I was a chief on the stroke service I took calls from a very wide geographic area and never remember anyone trying to push tPA in a cowboyish fashion while ignoring evidence-based criteria. Neurologists and cowboys tend to be a non-overlapping Venn diagram, in case you haven't met many of us.

Furthermore, I don't know where you're getting your exclusion criteria - posterior fossa strokes were not excluded from NINDS, nor were dissections or prior strokes (outside of 3 months).

Also, just as a stylistic aside - referring to stroke as "CVA" is about as correct as referring to diabetes as "the sugar" and leaves a similar impression with most adequately trained neurologists you'll meet. In what other organ system is it acceptable to refer to an ischemic event and a hemorrhagic event with the same lumped abbreviation? Can you imagine signing a patient out to your colleague and saying "well it's either mesenteric ischemia or a huge lower GI bleed, I can't be arsed to think about the difference so let's just call it a GIVA"?

My understanding of the SK data is that the bleed rate was so much higher than anything seen in any alteplase study that it drowned out any improvement signal and had to be stopped very quickly. And yes - the pathophys in stroke is very, very different than ACS. We've learned that the hard way in stroke, as every time we've assumed heart = brain we've been burned, going back to the bad old days of heparinizing acute strokes. Brain tends to bleed into itself, heart doesn't. Lose 5% of myocardial tissue and unless you're really unlucky from a conduction standpoint, you're looking at some mild apical hypokinesis or similar, while losing 5% of brain tissue is quite likely to leave you disabled.

ATLANTIS and ECASS-III differed by more than that 1/2 hour - ATLANTIS had a different endpoint (NIHSS <1 - kind of dumb in retrospect but this study lasted forever and went through revisions based on NINDS outcomes), was originally designed for 6 hour time window before revisions, and included people ECASS didn't - the biggest being that NIHSS > 25 were in ATLANTIS but not ECASS-III. It's not as simple as that 4.5-5 hour window being bad (although that's about where pooled analyses show OR reaching 1), and it takes some pretty high-level statistics and data from multiple studies to suss that out. Plus, if we were actually cherry-picking, wouldn't we figure out ways to throw away the negative studies instead of including them in our pooled data?

If you want to argue against the 3-4.5 hour window, however, I will admit that the data there is on much weaker footing and it's even more important to be wise in those situations.

NINDS actually did show short term benefits - mean NIHSS of 14 in both groups went to 12 in the placebo group and 8 in the tPA group at 24 hours out. Wasn't statistically significant because that window is incredibly noisy in both directions, hence why we rely on the 90 day data. However every subsequent analysis I've seen has found trends in that direction.

FYI, thrombectomy is also noisy. For every amazing recovery I've seen (and I've seen some amazing ones, believe me) there are multiple others that don't do much or worsen.

Part of the reason is that the data is simply stronger than most in your specialty appear willing to admit these days. Part of the reason is that all of the diagnostic testing that might better risk-stratify people takes time, and that's a problem. There actually has been a fair amount of work on looking for risk factors for poor outcome post-tPA such as microbleeds on SWI, but the evidence that this helps more people than it hurts based on the amount of time involved isn't there.

I think a lot of us are asking the same thing. The current AHA guidelines have a weak recommendation for choosing it over alteplase, particularly in mild stroke and those going for thrombectomy. The data I've seen looks pretty decent, though I haven't done anything approaching a full review. However it's not part of our stroke protocol, and I've never seen someone come here after getting it elsewhere. My guess is that this is a matter of inertia more than anything, but I would have to check with my friends that do stroke full-time. I'm just a lowly movement disorders guy.

Impressive. Thank you for this detailed explanation. I leaned a lot from reading this post.

You’re not a stroke neurologist, are you? Haha

Okay appreciate the responses (at least the parts that are attempts at reasonable discussion. I don't really understand the need to 'dunk on the dumb ER doc' stuff. Also, ).

FYI, The TPA vs SK issue comes from the cardiology literature (TIMI-1, GISSI-2, ISIS-3). They're more or less equivalent (clinically, not molecularly lolz), although there's a slightly increased risk for ICH from TPA.

Here's the reanalysis of ECASS III.

Regarding the push to bend the exclusion criteria. Plus the common practice of including people w/ pre-existing disability, dubious time of onset, or non-disabling symptoms.

Obviously this thread (or TPA) isn't going anywhere. I doubt anyone here is going to be able to write an actual rebuttal of the educated anti-TPA argument (it's too time-consuming for me to summarize all the points that those guys make). Like I said before, I'm not some anti-TPA zealot, I've administered it plenty of times with and without neurology consultation (you guys don't always call back soon enough), but I think the decision should be more nuanced than it oftentimes is.
Seriously dude? It's an online forum. WTF is a 'brain attack' anyway

I doubt anyone here is going to be able to write an actual rebuttal of the educated anti-TPA argument (it's too time-consuming for me to summarize all the points that those guys make).

Kinda hard for any of us to when you won't tell us what those arguments are, or even link to them. We've responded to a whole lot of common arguments on this thread, but mysteriously none of them are part of the "educated anti-TPA argument".

I don't give a **** if you refer to stroke in some casual funny way - no skin off my back. But CVA appears in actual formal EM (and IM) documentation on a routine basis in a way that implies that the people writing it think it's an acceptable medical term.

Brain attack is even dumber - like Disney bought the rights to the term "CVA" and then handed creative control to the guys who wrote Game of Thrones season 8.

Okay appreciate the responses (at least the parts that are attempts at reasonable discussion. I don't really understand the need to 'dunk on the dumb ER doc' stuff. Also, ).

FYI, The TPA vs SK issue comes from the cardiology literature (TIMI-1, GISSI-2, ISIS-3). They're more or less equivalent (clinically, not molecularly lolz), although there's a slightly increased risk for ICH from TPA.

Here's the reanalysis of ECASS III.

Regarding the push to bend the exclusion criteria. Plus the common practice of including people w/ pre-existing disability, dubious time of onset, or non-disabling symptoms.

Obviously this thread (or TPA) isn't going anywhere. I doubt anyone here is going to be able to write an actual rebuttal of the educated anti-TPA argument (it's too time-consuming for me to summarize all the points that those guys make). Like I said before, I'm not some anti-TPA zealot, I've administered it plenty of times with and without neurology consultation (you guys don't always call back soon enough), but I think the decision should be more nuanced than it oftentimes is.

From the reanalysis:

"If a baseline NIHSS component score had a missing value, it was imputed with a 0 and if a 90-day NIHSS component score had a missing value it was imputed with the maximum value for the item. The baseline and 90-day NIHSS scores were then computed."

This would make any particular patient's score better on initial assessment and worse on follow up.

Do you think this biased the results? Sounds shoddy.

Regarding your points:

Hey,

I wanted to respond to one of your points as you seemed genuinely interested and raised valid concerns, and I think some of the responses were unnecessarily abrasive.

Part of the problem is there is so much consistent misinformation on EM blogs and opinionated EM articles without any counterarguments provided, this leads to the appearance in the EM community that these skeptical arguments are valid. The counterarguments exist, unfortunately not in one resource, and the skeptical arguments have been answered but largely ignored.

As you brought up, one common argument is that in myocardial infarction all lytics were grouped together demonstrating benefit, and if anything tPA had a greater risk of ICH compared to streptokinase (SK). So why should SK trials not be grouped with tPA?

The common response is that they have different mechanisms of action, which is true, after all the FDA clearly evaluates drugs on an individual basis and not on a presumed ‘class effect’. As you are aware, many drugs have idiosyncratic effects and therefore need to be judged on there own merits. SK is well known to cause hypotension, in certain SK trials (i.e., ASK) up to 33% of patients developed hypotension, a side effect that may be beneficial in myocardial infarction, but is well known to be detrimental in acute stroke.

Importantly, all systematic meta-analyses that have grouped all lytics together have demonstrated benefit in acute stroke, but there is significant clinical heterogeneity for long term death, SK is associated with long-term death and tpA is not, indicating that the drug trials are not the same. This is not surprising, the 3 SK trials (ASK, MAST-I, and MAST-E) had excess symptomatic hemorrhage (sICH) rates of 18.6%, 8%, 10.2% and death of 15.8%, 24%, 15,7% - orders of magnitude higher compared to tPA trials, the average sICH is 3.1%, early death is 2.2%, and as mentioned above tPA is not associated with long term death, in fact there is good evidence that demonstrates there is a survival benefit with tPA.

So why is SK associated with high hemorrhage rates and death, is it that bad of a drug? Like you, I don’t think so, in fact some argue that there should be a non-inferiority trial comparing SK to tPA since SK is cheap and could be used in developing countries.

One issue, is that unlike tPA trials, SK trials had no dose escalation studies, the dose of SK was identical to that in MI trials and not weight based, while the tPA dose is lower in stroke compared to MI. There is evidence that those with lower body weight did worse in SK trials supporting the notion that dose is important.

More importantly, the issue is with the inclusion criteria of the trials, which are substantially different to tPA trials. I will mention the most important variable, SK trials included concomitant aspirin and/or IV heparin, a variable now known to be associated with high hemorrhage rates and death, this is why guidelines prevent the use for at least 24 hours.

Excluding trials that have substantially different inclusion criteria is not ‘cherry picking’, but common sense. You have probably come across the NNT article that suggest there is too much “uncertainty” in tPA literature.

The authors write: “Not included in this review, for instance, are newer trials using advanced imaging to select patients for thrombolysis, trials we felt should not be combined with studies using thrombolytics based largely on clinical criteria.” It appears the authors don’t realize that the SRMA that they use to cast doubt on the efficacy of tPA included trials using “advanced imaging”. Put that aside, the quote highlights that skeptics recognize that certain criteria should be used to separate trials or you will be comparing ‘apples to oranges’. They argue “advanced imaging” should be used, I would argue with SK trials that not only the fact that tPA is a different drug, but more importantly the inclusion criteria in SK trials are substantially different and known to be associated with harm, and therefore should not be included with tPA trials.

Please let me know if there are any other arguments you find convincing, we can discuss them individually.

Last edited:
Right.

Now, how about that FDA-approved Aduhelm for Alzheimer's????
Kind of the exception that proves the rule - the near-universal outrage including from those on the FDA scientific advisory committee should illustrate what actually happens when the FDA fails in their duty.

When it came to the FDA approving tPA, it was basically Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver

Eddie always caused problems but was never around to deal with the fallout

When it came to the FDA approving tPA, it was basically Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver

Eddie always caused problems but was never around to deal with the fallout
Multiple independent organizations around the world (i.e. guidelines, peer reviewed journals, government drug regulator authorities) all have converged on the same conclusion that the benefit of tPA in acute ischemic stroke outweighs the risks. As an example, in 2015 an independent UK (Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency) commission composed of neurologists, emergency medicine specialists, cardiologists, and statisticians looked through the evidence and concluded "the benefit of alteplase in the treatment of stroke outweighs the risk", consistent with the vast majority of independent guidelines.
Alteplase for treatment of acute ischaemic stroke: independent review

Simple question, who is more likely to be correct - the FDA and all other worldwide professional organizations, or you?

When you think about it, it's pretty arrogant. A ED physician, outside of their primary specialty, is reading a few articles and thinking they have the authority or knowledge to make any relevant decisions about tPA.

I don't go around reading EM journals to try and argue the cons of some resuscitation techniques.

Stay in your lane

Multiple independent organizations around the world (i.e. guidelines, peer reviewed journals, government drug regulator authorities) all have converged on the same conclusion that the benefit of tPA in acute ischemic stroke outweighs the risks. As an example, in 2015 an independent UK (Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency) commission composed of neurologists, emergency medicine specialists, cardiologists, and statisticians looked through the evidence and concluded "the benefit of alteplase in the treatment of stroke outweighs the risk", consistent with the vast majority of independent guidelines.
Alteplase for treatment of acute ischaemic stroke: independent review

Simple question, who is more likely to be correct - the FDA and all other worldwide professional organizations, or you?
They’re perfectly happy telling everyone else who actually sees patients what to do.

How many of these academics are in the ED at 2 AM pushing tPA?

You already know the answer to this

They’re perfectly happy telling everyone else who actually sees patients what to do.

“They’re perfectly happy telling everyone else who actually sees patients what to do.”
I fail to see your point, yes that is the function of guidelines to ensure best practices.

“How many of these academics are in the ED at 2 AM pushing tPA?”
I work in a Canadian academic centre so I can only speak to that, and the answer is 100%. We also cover 24/7 telestroke services to rural hospitals. Timely treatment reduces morbidity and saves lives, that is why we are on call all the time. Also, this is not shift work, when we are on call for 24 hours, you may also be working the following day in clinic or inpatient service. Believe me, the hours are long, and there is very little financial incentive to be on call.

Is there a particular issue you have with the evidence for tPA or guidelines? I would be happy to potentially answer your concerns.

Feel free to cheerlead for Genentech

Here is the US, the push to make tPA the standard despite so many negative trials and the ridiculous medicolegal baggage surrounding it is the number 1 reason neurologists stopped covering the ED

If tPA was the drug some wish it was, this wouldn’t be the case and neurologists would be lining up to be the superhero stroke neurologists often see themselves to be

We also wouldn’t be debating it decades later

Here is the US, the push to make tPA the standard despite so many negative trials and the ridiculous medicolegal baggage surrounding it is the number 1 reason neurologists stopped covering the ED

If tPA was the drug some wish it was, this wouldn’t be the case and neurologists would be lining up to be the superhero stroke neurologists often see themselves to be

“Feel free to cheerlead for Genentech”
You caught me red handed, I am shill for Genentech, not sure why I keep missing my cheque in the mail!

“We also wouldn’t be debating it decades later”
No, the reason why the debate continues within the EM community is due to the amount of misinformation that EM physicians are bombarded with from non-peer reviewed resources such as EM blogs, websites (i.e., NNT), and opinionated EM articles. They then present this misinformation at your conference meetings and cite each other’s non-peer reviewed work as evidence. A true echo chamber of misinformation. They provide partial truths with selective citations and incorrect assumptions - their arguments are built on a ‘house of cards’.

I've personally been in the ED for tPA decisions at odd hours with the lead author on the most recent AHA acute stroke guidelines. This take reflects absolute ignorance regarding what clinician-scientists do.

Thanks for confirming that this continues to be the EM retort for anything related to tPA when you can't actually defend your position.

No it isn't. Small community hospitals have a hard time attracting neurologists for outpatient, inpatient and ED coverage because there is a massive shortage of neurologists nationwide, which I'm sure is a hard thing to imagine in your wildly oversaturated field. In those areas, if a neurologist sets up shop somewhere remote, covering multiple different EDs 24/7 would be overwhelming and totally unnecessary, as they will have far more volume than they can handle regardless of whether they offer ED coverage. Larger hospitals and academic centers near-universally have 24/7 neurologist ED coverage. EM is the only specialty concerned even minutely about medicolegal issues surrounding tPA.

Stroke neurologists really don't see themselves that way at all. You're thinking neurointerventionalists, where neurologists make up a distinct minority. Neurologists don't all go into stroke because people that want to spend their time in acute care generally don't self-select for neurology.

You're starting to sound like a climate change denialist. There's only one group that thinks that a real debate is ongoing at all.

“despite so many negative trials”

A common fallacious argument, as if tallying up ‘positive’ and ‘negative’ trials without any consideration of the trial design or totality of evidence is the ‘gold standard’ of evidence, and not an appropriately done pooled systematic review and meta-analysis.

Since you have an aptitude for basic arithmetic, let me count the trials up for you and provide important caveats to the interpretation.

There are 9 tPA trials (excluding perfusion imaging). Time to treatment is a critically important variable determining outcome and therefore the trials need to be interpreted with that lens, in brackets I will put in the times.

3 are positive trials for the primary outcome:
1. NINDS Part 2 (1.5 hrs median)
2. ECASS 3 (4 hrs median)
3. Wake-Up (2018) – utilizing FLAIR/DWI mismatch which is a surrogate marker of time within 4.5 hrs.

Are 6 trials ‘negative’?
The interpretation of any trial should depend on the totality of the evidence and not just a single end point and an arbitrary level of significance. A common skeptic argument is to label trials ‘negative’ without providing any other details, again relying on partial truths.

1. NINDS part 1 (1.5 hrs median). There were only 2 outcomes. The primary outcome was NIHSS change in 24hrs, and the secondary outcome was the long-term global statistic outcome at 90 days, this was switched in NINDS part 2. Importantly, NINDS part 1 was an independent study from part 2 and they did not have access to the data when forming NINDS part 2. The primary outcome was not statistically significant (p=0.06), but the more important long-term outcome was very significant, and NINDS part 1 is labelled as a ‘negative’ trial by skeptics, that also call for replication of NINDS part 2. There is replication, it is called NINDS part 1, both were significant for the long-term outcome.

2. IST-3 (70% between 3-6 hrs) - the largest tPA study, due to the lack of equipoise the trial was built on the ‘uncertainty principle’. Meaning that if the investigator thought the patient would benefit from tPA, they were NOT supposed to enrol them, only if they thought the benefit of tPA was ‘uncertain’, this is the reverse of ‘cherry picking’ patients, and therefore the trial represented a population of relative contraindications for tPA at the time. The primary outcome at 6 months did not reach statistical significance, but all secondary outcomes did.

Importantly, the trial was designed to assess outcome also at 18 months and 3 years. The prespecified primary outcome at 18 months is positive: 35% vs. 31.4% (p=0.024).
And at 3 years there was a survival benefit with tPA, and skeptics claim this trial was ‘negative’.

DEFINE_ME

3. ECASS 1 (4.3 hrs median): there were multiple protocol violations, the pre-specified per-protocol analysis was statistically significant for the primary outcome.

This leaves us with ECASS 2 and ATLANTIS A&B

1. ECASS 2 (80% between 3-6 hrs). This was a ‘negative’ trial.

2. ATLANTIS A – the trial was quickly cut short, there was harm in the 5-6 hr window. This was the only tPA trial to be stopped for harm. The trial was restructured to ATLANTIS B (4.6 hrs median) in the 3-5 hour window and this was stopped for futility.

How do we resolve the inconsistencies between trials?

A pooled analysis (n=7000 pts) demonstrating a strong time dependent benefit with tPA within 4.5 hours!
emberson.png

Any other evidence?
1. Phase 4 registry data with hundreds of thousands of patients showing tPA is safe and effective.
2. Studies utilizing perfusion imaging (i.e. Extend-tPA). https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1813046
3. BEST-MSU study. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2103879
4. Studies utilizing surrogate markers of outcome, demonstrating tPA is associated with recanalization of vessels, and reduced infarct volumes.

Let us make a comparison
Since skeptics like counting trials and comparing tPA in stroke to cardiology literature, let us examine percutaneous intervention for STEMI.

34% (8/23) of studies were ‘positive’ for the primary outcome, comparable to tPA in acute ischemic stroke. Where are all the skeptics and outrage against PCI in STEMI, you do know these were all unblinded studies funded by industry!

Reactions: 5 users
Again, if tPA was such a great medication it would prove itself with decades of experience from satisfied clinicians

Treatments that are tried and true don't require endless trials and don't generate this much debate

I've given tPA since 2001 many, many times as a twice board-certified neurologist and been completely underwhelmed by the outcomes despite following the protocols to the letter. The overwhelming majority of my friends in the field are also underwhelmed and aren't afraid to point out that the Emperor has no clothes. They also aren't employed physicians beholden to a hospital system chasing that sweet, sweet DRG money for pushing tPA for anything possibly related to a "code stroke"

BTW, the climate denier claim is just classic. Keep up the good work!!