New grads please comment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droption

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Questions to the new hem onc grads.
What is the average starting salary? I know it depends on several factors, but if you work in a rural area with a normal schedule, what would be an average offer? I heard 500k is possible in IL.
When did you start to apply for a job and when did you actually signed the contract?
Can anyone explain what are the most important points you have to look before signing a contract? Is it good to have a recruiter or would they only try to push you non-desirable locations?
Is it good to have a partnership track?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Questions to the new hem onc grads.
What is the average starting salary? I know it depends on several factors, but if you work in a rural area with a normal schedule, what would be an average offer? I heard 500k is possible in IL.
You answered your own question here. Anything is possible. Possible and probable are not the same things though.
When did you start to apply for a job and when did you actually signed the contract?
Personally? Way too late, and way too late. Now is a good time to start sending out applications/making calls. As soon as you've found a job you like, sign the contract. Remember that licensing and credentialing can take up to 6 months depending on state and hospital(s). I took a job with the same University that I did fellowship with. I was credentialed there for independent moonlighting on the inpatient onc/BMT service. That took about 6 weeks as a 1st year fellow. When the time came to do my credentialing (for less privileges, at the same hospital), it took nearly 4 months.

Can anyone explain what are the most important points you have to look before signing a contract?
So many things to think about here. Why are they hiring? Stability of the group? Stability of their hospital/insurance contracts? Call coverage? Hospitalists for admits? Average patients per day? Pay structure (full production, Salary base + production, straight salary)? Ancillary staff? Research opportunities/support (this is huge, if you're interested in being part of clinical trial, even as a Sub-I on industry studies, you're going to need at least 2 FT staff devoted to that)?
Is it good to have a recruiter or would they only try to push you non-desirable locations?
Recruiters are good if you like giving money away.

Is it good to have a partnership track?
This is the most difficult question to answer and will be completely dependent on the individual situation. If you are offered a partnership track with low buy-in/sweat equity and a <2y timeline, then maybe. Anything beyond that runs a huge risk of being lost if the group is bought out by a hospital system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I agree with gutonc on all of the above.

The fundamental question you must answer -- alluded to above -- why are they hiring? Do they really need a doc or is it to cover the call schedule?