Sorry, I should have been more specific. I just popped the link in because Nstarz mentioned submitting comments. It wasn't really meant to be an educational resource.
As for who is behind it, I know Dr. Eden Myers of
www.justvetdata.com is one of several vets working on this project. The issue as I understand it is that COE is: 1) heavily dependent on the AVMA for funding/staffing/operational support, and therefore biased, and 2) becoming quite loose with its own accreditation policies and accrediting these new veterinary schools left and right without giving enough attention to the quality of the education being provided and the impact of new schools on the profession. Basically, it boils down to the fact that the veterinary school accreditation system is becoming too focused on money and politics, at the expense of what is best for the profession.
I should add that this isn't something that Dr. Myers and her colleagues cooked up out of the blue. The National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity (NACIQI), part of the US Department of Education, reviews accreditory bodies like COE every five years to ensure compliance. When the COE had its regular review in 2012, it failed to meet some of the necessary criteria, so NACIQI is now performing a more in-depth investigation to determine whether COE should continue to be the recognized council for accreditation of veterinary schools. They are accepting any and all comments from veterinarians and veterinary students until September 20, and the VetUScope project was created to encourage veterinary professionals to share their opinions so that NACIQI can make a decision based on what is best for our profession.
I haven't been able to find much information on what will happen after COE loses its recognition, if it does. I suspect this is because this whole issue is relatively unprecedented and no one is really sure of what happens next. What everyone does agree on is that COE losing its recognition will give the veterinary profession a golden opportunity to establish a new accreditation committee that will work for the good of the profession and be completely autonomous - no AVMA or other outside influence whatsoever. If I had to guess, I would think that the currently accredited schools would be grandfathered in and maintain their accreditation until a new council was established to evaluate them. If schools were to lose accreditation in the future, I think the current students would be grandfathered in and would still graduate with accredited degrees - this was discussed earlier this year when a couple of schools were put on probation for failing to meet certain accreditation standards (can't find the link to the thread, unfortunately. maybe someone else can?). Those are just my guesses though, so take that with a grain of salt.
Here's a basic rundown on the subject that I found useful:
http://www.justvetdata.com/veterinary_accreditation Dr. Myers' website (
www.justvetdata.com) has a lot of good info on current issues in vet med, including why the current accreditation process is a problem.
I am pretty sure that the form I linked (
www.vetuscope.com) can be used whether you're for or against the COE losing its recognition. Since it submits directly to NACIQI, I think you can just fill in your own comments - whatever they may be - and they will be received. If I find another route for contacting NACIQI I will post it, but I haven't seen one yet.