New GRE: Cancelled!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danzgymn86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"In consultation with the Executive Committee of the Graduate Record Examinations® (GRE®) Board, ETS has cancelled plans to launch the revised GRE General Test. While ETS and the Board remain committed to improving the test, on balance, and after thorough review, it became clear that full access to the test for all students could not be confidently assured. The decision to cancel the launch was made with the best interests of test takers and score users in mind."

From: http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/...nnel=b195e3b5f64f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I just thought I would post about an email I got from Kaplan Test and Prep Admissions today. Here's the first paragraph:

GRE Test Change Cancelled
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Educational Testing Service, the developer of the GRE,* announced today that the long-planned test change in September 2007 has been cancelled. This reverses their decision to launch the biggest changes to the GRE in the past 55 years. ETS is still investigating future changes, so it's unclear what the future will hold for GRE test takers..
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] .
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I checked the ETS website (http://www.ets.org) for confirmation, and it is correct. This is great news for the students who will be applying/reapplying for graduate school next year..
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just thought I'd pass it along!!.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]~pwb.

Wow, I can't believe they did that! Thanks for sharing! Although there will probably be mixed opinions whether people are happy or sad about this change...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! That's amazing since they've been talking about this change for quite some time now.

Good news to know if you were contemplating the GRE in the upcoming months.

*Note: I just merged the two GRE threads...since they were started within a couple minutes of each other*

Without further ado....feel free to celebrate!

:laugh:

-t

Thanks - I saw the one posted like one minute before mine and I thought I should delete mine but then the phone rang...

Lo and behold when I hung up, mine was gone! Magic!

That's amazing news!

For purely selfish reasons, I'm ecstatic. I was worried that the new GRE would make my good scores on the old GRE seem less... impressive to grad schools. Now I won't have to worry for a while. :D

That's amazing news!

For purely selfish reasons, I'm ecstatic. I was worried that the new GRE would make my good scores on the old GRE seem less... impressive to grad schools. Now I won't have to worry for a while. :D

Y'know, I was actually concerned about that to when I was deliberating about whether or not to re-take the GRE. Kep thinking their system for calculating equivalents would suck my scores further down the drain.

This is awesome! I actually checked to make sure this wasn't an april fools thing!

This is awesome! I actually checked to make sure this wasn't an april fools thing!

Oooh you mean an SDN april fools joke...at first I thought you meant it was an ETS april fools joke, and I was like...but ETS has no sense of humor...and no soul...

anyway I'm glad its for real. I'll be taking my GRE in probably May or June but its good to know if I completely bomb it I can retake it in the old format.

You news was the highlight of my day! Cheers to having more time to study! I was starting to worry that I wouldn't have enough time to study for the old GRE before they revamped it. Glad to see that all my study materials (collecting dust at the moment) won't go to waste :thumbup: That would have been quite an evil April Fools joke though I must say lol

haha that is probably why they didn't release that press release previously...in case people thought it was an April Fool's joke!

Members don't see this ad :)
This just made my NIGHT!!!!!

It's so good they're doing this! I think some of the changes they were planning make a lot of sense and might be better in the long run, but it just wouldn't be fair to the group of guinea pigs taking the test during the first few years. ETS will have to find some way to smooth the transition...

BTW, I could almost see this being an April Fools joke, but I don't think ETS would do anything so obviously cruel. It would provide solid proof of their iniquity. For now, they'll just stick to charging insane amounts of money for score reports and then accidentally failing to send them.

GOOD! I did the test version of the math when I wrote my GREs, and it was HARD!

(Granted, I hadn't studied for those types of Qs, but still!)

Oooh you mean an SDN april fools joke...at first I thought you meant it was an ETS april fools joke, and I was like...but ETS has no sense of humor...and no soul...

anyway I'm glad its for real. I'll be taking my GRE in probably May or June but its good to know if I completely bomb it I can retake it in the old format.

:laugh: That would be great! (If it was an ETS joke.)

Huh..that is totally bizarre. And I thought I read a couple of years ago that they were initially planning for the changes to occur in Fall 2006, now 2007, and now who knows when. Crazy ETS people...we give them our money but they can't ever function properly.

Wouldn't life be better if we got rid of them? Seriously.... Oh well, one could dream.

Well, I'm pretty syked (siked, cyked...how do you spell that??) about it. If I choose door #3, I will be taking them again. I was not happy about having to do it in July in order to avoid the new test. Now I can wait until fall and have more time to prepare and kick it's ass!

P.S. I'm an idiot: I just re-read this and realized it's "psyched"!!!! What does this say about me? Maybe I'm in the wrong field! Any Freudians out there??

Imagine how angry Kaplan and Princeton Review must be. I think they already have new books out don't they? If not, they were planning on it I am sure. Also, this adds years to the usefulness of their old books. They must be pissed!

Imagine how angry Kaplan and Princeton Review must be. I think they already have new books out don't they? If not, they were planning on it I am sure. Also, this adds years to the usefulness of their old books. They must be pissed!

When I was buying a GRE study book last September, there were already books out about the new GRE! They're definitely pissed :)

I think ETS pulled this stunt to show how much fear they can instill in prospective grauate students. They want to show us what kind of power they have over us. Bravo ETS, bravo.