New GRE Scale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterflykisses

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how the new GRE scale of 130-170 (i.e. your score can be 151) translate into the old scale of 200-800? What is considered a "good score" now and what will be considered a "good score" on the new scale?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any idea how the new GRE scale of 130-170 (i.e. your score can be 151) translate into the old scale of 200-800? What is considered a "good score" now and what will be considered a "good score" on the new scale?

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores

No idea. 1600=340 perfect scores. If you go strictly by the new increments, 1 point difference on the new scale = 15 points difference on the old scale. If I used my scores, 1200 (660V and 540 Q) I'd have a 161V and 153V to get a score of 314 on the new scale using conversion and rounding to the nearest whole number. So a 1200= ~314. If I did a made up score of 1000 (550Q 450V)=153 +147=300 so a 300 would be roughly a 1000 on the old scale. They don't really explain it on the website.

Last edited:
Is there a percentile chart for the new and old? There's our answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a percentile chart for the new and old? There's our answer.

Yes, exactly. And "good scores" have always varied somewhat by test administration... meaning that one version of a test can be slightly harder than another version, so your percentile is a more accurate assessment of your performance.

I assume although the new GRE is new, during the development of the test they must have gotten an idea of what score would correspond to what percentile. But maybe they'll have a better idea after the test has been given many times.

I think it's better for us to take the old version before August. And I just did, and got 1460....Not too bad

%ile is a ranking based on how you do compared to your peers did. This will take a little while. I think this is part of why the revised version isn't getting scored/sent out until Nov.the way I understood it is each year's test takers are a specific peer %ile group. Read something about how scores can change if test is taken early in the cycle then ranked later when there are more test takers. Sorry can't tell where on the ETS pages I read that, I have been all over that thing. I took old version in May and new one this week. Good luck to all.

While percentiles might be looked at, they are not as important as that solid 1000 that many OT schools are looking for. USC did ask for my percentiles because it was on the form, but SJSU just wanted to see the 1000 regardless of percentiles. The only reason I think USC's application had the percentile on it is because all USC students used the same application and it was in the general portion of the application, so maybe it plays more of a factor for law school, engineering, med school, etc. NYU and Columbia also had this field, but their applications were deadringers for the USC application, probably designed by the same company. So while the new percentiles are yet to be determined, I bet a 300 is going be thought of as the new 1000 when all is said and done.