New group taking over contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumponit

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDNers,

I currently work in an ED whose contract will soon be taken over by another group (non-hostile). They do plan on keeping most of the current staff.

I was wondering, are there any specific questions I should be asking the new group? Not the typical interview questions, but meaning any questions that should be specific to this situation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi fellow SDNers,

I currently work in an ED whose contract will soon be taken over by another group (non-hostile).

Explain what you mean by "non-hostile" takeover. Did you give up the contract willingly?

I was wondering, are there any specific questions I should be asking the new group? Not the typical interview questions, but meaning any questions that should be specific to this situation?

Assuming you are being hired as an employee or IC, I don't see how it would be different than checking out any other job, would it? I suppose it's hard to answer without specifics regarding the situation.

Explain what you mean by "non-hostile" takeover. Did you give up the contract willingly?

Assuming you are being hired as an employee or IC, I don't see how it would be different than checking out any other job, would it? I suppose it's hard to answer without specifics regarding the situation.

Thanks, and yes, the contract was given up willingly. Are there any specific questions regarding the situation that I can answer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having just been through a "hostile" takeover, and declining to continue with the new group, here are a few things:
1. Pay. How is it calculated? Do they give you any guarantee for the first few months? Collections are going to lag until about the 3rd to 4th month, so you should get a guaranteed salary until they come in consistently.

2. Benefits. Is the new health/disability/malpractice coverage just as good as the coverage you had?

3. Expected work hours. This should be in the contract. One reason that I declined to work with the new group was that my contractual hours went from 108 hrs/month to 140 hrs/month. This was a big quality of life issue and the new director wouldn't budge. Make sure it's spelled out in the new contract what the MAXIMUM and MINIMUM work they require. Always expect that at the beginning you will have to work the maximum until they get a full complement of docs.

4. Get a copy of the contract well in advance BEFORE you make a decision. Sit down and discuss it with all the current docs in your group. Don't be afraid to cross out things that you don't like in the contract. At the end of the day the new group needs as many of you to sign on as they can.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been there before and nothing changed. In my case, we were a small private group that was bought by a large CMG. Everything was better, and I'd still be working there if my career didn't take me elsewhere.

Also, before you all sign, get together, meet, and discuss what a fair wage will be. In my case they tried to pay us the same salary we were getting with the private group, which was much lower than market. We were able to negotiate a $40/hr raise plus productivity. There were 8 of us and we held out for it. It's usually easier for CMG's to give up some extra coin during these buyouts than risk poor recruiting, delayed credentialing, and upsetting the hospital that just gave them a contract.

Were you a partner in the group that sold out? Did you have any part of the negotiations? If not, then remember that there is a reason that your group was sold, and there was probably a high price paid for it. Get a piece of that pie if you can. Read your contract and your claim to accounts receivable. See what Benefits you can cash in before you leave, and ask for a severance package from the old group prior to close of sale.

Reactions: 1 user