New Hem-Onc Fellow starting this year- any advices ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAmygdala

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum has been super helpful throughout medical school and residency.
I would greatly appreciate any advice that would be helpful for the upcoming 3 years of fellowship.
1. I am a visual learner. I heard there are some board review video courses. Are there any other resources that are really helpful? I heard uptodate, nccn guidelines, asco and ash board review books, and board review videos from different institutions are there.
2. I was wondering do certain universities post their lectures online or maybe PowerPoint presentations on the website?
3. What are the things we can do to understand better in the initial few months, looks like the learning curve is pretty steep ?

Members don't see this ad.

Stick to standardized, vetted sources like ASH/ASCO/NCCN/uptodate

keep referring to those to drill the info in your head

I wouldn’t seek other sources until closer to ites

Reactions: 1 user
1. Agree with above. I looked at some of the board review videos during first year but it wasn't that helpful, to be honest. Focus on building up a good base. If you have to have some audio or video, see if you can get your hands on ABIM medicine board prep courses and then watch the heme/onc portions. I think that is more helpful for a first year fellow.

2. Not that I know of. I did some digging last year I was able to find some grand rounds on heme/onc scattered on the internet. I listened to a few of them while running, but it wasn't too helpful.

3. Just read around your patients. Once you have a patient, look up guidelines in NCCN and if you want also read the UTD article. Extra credit if you finish the relevant chapter in ASH or ASCO (program should give you access, if not make it a priority to ask them to subscribe for you - will benefit all the fellows coming after you). You will not have time to do this for every patient, but if you do you would be beyond golden.

Have fun!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would up to date/ NCCN everything your first year. Get a good idea of side effects of chemotherapy. Second year, start layering in that with important trials and studies that are out there as you will presumably have more time to study on your own. Starting November of third year starting cranking out ASH SAP. You could study ASH SAP/GW hematology (~2 hours/day) and crush the heme boards after studying it for 6 months.

Second year fellow here. Podcasts have been helpful for me. Oncopharm and Hematologic Oncology Update Podcast are my main ones. Still looking for a good basic Oncology podcast though.

Reactions: 1 users
Second year fellow here. Podcasts have been helpful for me. Oncopharm and Hematologic Oncology Update Podcast are my main ones. Still looking for a good basic Oncology podcast though.

Neil Love (Research to Practice) audio series app is $$

Listened to his podcasts every day when I was driving to my outlying offices leading up to my boards. Great resource

I still use it to this day. I miss my old car that had the CD player that I could just play in the car HA