New here,,,kind of

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I decided I will give DO a chance, I actually had a great pediatrician when I was growing up, only to find out years later he was a DO, I'm currently a sophomore in college with a 3.5 GPA (overall), I hope I can specialize in something,(once i get accepted into a school) what will your advice be on this thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search function and see the FAQ on top

Well, I decided I will give DO a chance, I actually had a great pediatrician when I was growing up, only to find out years later he was a DO, I'm currently a sophomore in college with a 3.5 GPA (overall), I hope I can specialize in something,(once i get accepted into a school) what will your advice be on this thanks guys

Without further information, I'd say that your overall UGPA seems fine thus far. Keep in mind that your MCAT score is also equally important. If you haven't taken it yet, strive to do as well as you can (30+ ideally). What other activities have you done and/or are currently involved in doing? Osteopathic schools look closely at your experiences, in addition to your numbers.

My suggestion is that you shadow some DO's closely, learn more about the history and tenents of Osteopathy, and get to know what being a DO entails (differences and similarities to MD, and the common profession), because it appears that you still have lingering doubts and misconceptions. Spend some time learning about Osteopathy and address what is important to you. Find out if attending a DO school would be the best fit for you and is what you want. You do not want to get to a point down the road where you realize you really wanted to have an MD after your name, rather than DO.

Good luck sorting through everything. If you decide that attending Osteopathic medical school is what you truly want, I'm sure you'll come back with more focused questions. :luck: