New IE guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn1977

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Updated recommendations for prevention of infective endocarditis from the American Heart Association released April 19, 2007.

Fewer patients will require prophylaxis & you might expect patients to question why they're no longer needing medication, altho some prescribers might still want it & insist on it. The recommendation for prophylaxis is no longer based on an increased lifetime risk of IE which was one of the basis of the guidelines.

Zpak - this might be one of your first tasks next week. There are significant changes for GI/GU, respiratory procedures, post-CABG, prosthetic knees/hips, etc...pts.

Here's the link:
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.183095

Members don't see this ad.

Cool find!!!!

Did Dr. SDN have anything to do with this article??? There are too many mentions of dental procedures!!

Still, thank you. I'm going to have to sit down and figure out what I can do to make a program more cost effective utilizing this guideline!

:laugh: :laugh: No....I had to show it to Dr sdn. It won't be published in his journals until next month.

Yeah - lots of talk about dental - there always is. But, the big thing is there is less premed for prosthetic hips/knees - for any kind of procedure.

It should be an interesting discussion in the surgical committee to see what the ortho guys want. A dose of Ancef is no big deal, but it does add up over time when given for every bronchoscopy, bunionectomy, etc..

And how we can meet the SCIP guideline of timing of the antibiotics. It can only help.

I just read an abstract article on a huge decrease in Cardiac Mortality for the past 7 years...being published today on JAMA ...I couldn't pull up the article on OVID yet... but kinda anxious to see it. It was sponsored by Aventis...so we know Lovenox and Plavix marketing can only be helped by it.

I enjoy this kind of pharmacy practice....searching for the latest publications and paving the way we provide pharmaceutical care. There are so many implications when a new guideline or a blockbuster trial is published....

This is a result of pharmacy education well paid for. Gotta love it.:thumbup: