New Jersey/Newark

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the area around Newark airport safe?

Members don't see this ad.

dat_student said:

If you plan on roaming the streets of Newark at midnight,then no. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll be fine.I'm assuming youre interviewing @ UMDNJ-which is in a sort of sketchy area,but again-just be smart,and it'll be ok.

dat_student said:

i don't think theres anything to worry about ... i've taken the bus from nwk airport to nwk penn station and it was fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
raZ10 said:
i don't think theres anything to worry about ... i've taken the bus from nwk airport to nwk penn station and it was fine!

I am thinking about staying near Newark airport for two interviews (New Jersey early Nov and Columbia early December). I don't want to pay $500 /night to stay in NYC. A bus ride may not be as bad as staying overnight. New York/Newark area worries me a bit. I've heard Columbia is in Harlem. Is this true?

i live in newark and its not that bad....it depends where u go...i know girls who walk alone at 3 am from the penn station to the dorms....there are some areas in Newark that the Newark Police will refuse to go to, most of these areas are gang infested.

ASDIC said:
i live in newark and its not that bad....it depends where u go...i know girls who walk alone at 3 am from the penn station to the dorms....there are some areas in Newark that the Newark Police will refuse to go to, most of these areas are gang infested.

I am a bit worried. Where are those gang-infested areas? Do you think I'll be better off staying near Univ. of Maryland in Baltimore or in Washington DC? I am also thinking about flying into Newark around 6 am and flying out right after my NJ interview. If, right after my Univ. of Maryland interview, I go to Newark and stay overnight near NJ univ. I may be able to visit Columbia and NYU. I may not get an invite from NYU because apparently they accept without interview. It'll be nice to see the school. My columbia interview is about 4 weeks after my NJ interview. I'd like to see if Columbia is in a very bad neighborhood before my interview date.

dat_student said:
I am a bit worried. Where are those gang-infested areas? Do you think I'll be better off staying near Univ. of Maryland in Baltimore or in Washington DC? I am also thinking about flying into Newark around 6 am and flying out right after my NJ interview. If, right after my Univ. of Maryland interview, I go to Newark and stay overnight near NJ univ. I may be ablet to visit Columbia and NYU. I may not get an invite from NYU because apparently they accept without interview. It'll be nice to see the school. My columbia interview is about 4 weeks after my NJ interview. I'd like to see if Columbia is in a very bad neighborhood before my interview date.

in my opinion, i think you should definitely visit NYU bc i think the school is a lot better than what people think. first off, its in a REALLY nice area in manhattan.. second, the school itself is HUGE, obviously to accomodate that many students and the facilities aren't bad at all. third, they are starting to renovate most floors of the clinical science building and from my experience, the ones that are finished are extremely nice. i volunteered at the bluestone center for clinical research at nyucd and that place is AMAZING. everythings new and the people there are incredibly friendly. so id say if you have time to visit nyu you definitely should bc it just might change your mind!