New kid on the block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnFL06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

Been lurking around the forums for quite a while now and this is my first post. I don't finish my premed program until summer of '07 but my advisor is telling me that I should take the MCAT by summer '06 so I can start applying to med schools in the fall. I've been online looking at different medical school websites, and they all make it seem so impossible to get in, no matter how good your grades are. I keep reading stuff like..."We get thousands of applications from students every year from which we select only 80..."

I live in Florida, and I'm thinking about FSU, UF, or UM but my first choice is Nova. I know a few people in the program there and they tell me its very good. I'm especially interested in Nova because its located only about 15 minutes from where I live, and even though its a private university its not as expensive as many other private med schools. So far I have a 3.8 GPA and I plan to use the Kaplan review materials to prep for the MCAT. I've heard the competition to get into Nova is fierce, but I'm going for it anway.

Ok, I'm rambling so I'll stop now. Just wanted to introduce myself and also to say this is a really cool site.

John

Members don't see this ad.

JohnFL06 said:
Hi, everyone.

Been lurking around the forums for quite a while now and this is my first post. I don't finish my premed program until summer of '07 but my advisor is telling me that I should take the MCAT by summer '06 so I can start applying to med schools in the fall. I've been online looking at different medical school websites, and they all make it seem so impossible to get in, no matter how good your grades are. I keep reading stuff like..."We get thousands of applications from students every year from which we select only 80..."

I live in Florida, and I'm thinking about FSU, UF, or UM but my first choice is Nova. I know a few people in the program there and they tell me its very good. I'm especially interested in Nova because its located only about 15 minutes from where I live, and even though its a private university its not as expensive as many other private med schools. So far I have a 3.8 GPA and I plan to use the Kaplan review materials to prep for the MCAT. I've heard the competition to get into Nova is fierce, but I'm going for it anway.

Ok, I'm rambling so I'll stop now. Just wanted to introduce myself and also to say this is a really cool site.

John

Welcome. Please let me preface my post by saying that I am too a pre med, but have been around here a bit and have read a lot of posts. Ideally, you want to take MCAT in April of your junior year,April 2006 in your case. Your GPA is great. What is your major? Do you have any EC's, clinical experience?
I am sure that the more seasones posters will chime in with more relavant information. Once again, welcome and enjoy the ride.

Rob

I was accepted there with average stats. Just do well on your MCAT, and you should be fine. It was a nice school. Good luck. :thumbup:

Consider taking the April MCAT so you can be "complete" early. go to their Open House or visit the school to meet someone in admissions, meet students and sit in on a class.