New Loan requirements - see article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyachei

vet robot pirate zombie
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if someday this will spill over into the public schools too.

Wouldn't this likely effect OOS tuition as well at public state schools? It seems like at many of them, OOS tuition and fees has climbed to $50-55k a year. Minnesota is nearly $60k, that's as high and even higher than tuition at the schools already mentioned here.

Oh Snap. Yea, I forgot about those 3 as well.. I wonder why they werent included in the article.
My understanding from the article is that this is addressing for-profit institutions, not nonprofit schools like LMU (not sure about Midwestern and Western). I may be wrong.

"The programs that are affected consist of all instructional programs eligible for federal student loan funds, whether degree or nondegree, at U.S. and foreign FOR-PROFIT institutions; nondegree programs (e.g., certificate and diploma programs) at public and private nonprofit institutions are also included."

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding from the article is that this is addressing for-profit institutions, not nonprofit schools like LMU (not sure about Midwestern and Western). I may be wrong.

"The programs that are affected consist of all instructional programs eligible for federal student loan funds, whether degree or nondegree, at U.S. and foreign FOR-PROFIT institutions; nondegree programs (e.g., certificate and diploma programs) at public and private nonprofit institutions are also included."

Ah, I missed that part. I guess OOS tuition at public schools won't be effected then.

Looks like LMU, Midwestern and Western are all Private Non-profits - so they are not included.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was from May and said it would take effect in July.... Any word on the current status or effect on this upcoming semester?
they were also giving schools a couple years of getting used to it and the initial financial data will be available early 2016. So I don't think it is immediate

Reactions: 1 users
I do wonder if it will be a game changer in an opposite way - if they manage to make their programs cheaper than the typical OOS tuition rates, their programs could become even more popular than they currently are.

I do wonder if it will be a game changer in an opposite way - if they manage to make their programs cheaper than the typical OOS tuition rates, their programs could become even more popular than they currently are.

I don't see that happening. They already have tuition at the average OOS rate (per the article). If these schools are used to functioning at that level of income they would have to decrease their budget quite a bit to bring down their tuition prices.. That would also decrease the profit they make and these are for profit schools we are talking about... Possible? Maybe... But I doubt it.

Looks like LMU, Midwestern and Western are all Private Non-profits - so they are not included.
Yeah, that's exactly why. I don't believe it's the "private" status, it's the not-for-profit. At least that's what I was told concerning my school.

my bad. I misread initially.

With the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if this started to affect not-for profit schools in the future. Government is starting to take student debt seriously (and I think they should).

I highly doubt this. More likely, they will drop the programs if they can't make money off them. Or only offer private loans and students who are funded. We could see them revert back to the same loan situation they had years ago except now, lenders are less likely to give students loans that size privately.

Before I make several points, I want to be very clear that I believe that the cost of a veterinary education at ALL schools is out of control and beyond affordable.
---
As an island student, I feel very targeted by legislation like this. I know it is intended to help, but realistically, I think it does very little to actually benefit students and may actually make things more expensive and worse. These programs did just fine prior to receiving federal funding. People applied, happily took out private loans, and became veterinarians. The addition of federal funding certainly made the programs more attractive to some, but that just means the applicant pool increased. These schools aren't going to change their ways, and at least at SGU, veterinary medicine is not a money maker for them. My understanding is that vet students actually end up costing the school more than their actually worth, but the programs have been around for awhile and have become popular, so they've come up with ways to off-set the costs (go look at the med school tuition, and you'll understand!! my just-started-3rd-year med friend already owes $250k in just med school loans at this point, and there are 600-800 people in her class).

It also frustrates me that they are targeting the island schools so heavily, when there are several programs out there that are charging as much or even more in tuition. Part of the expense of an island school (at SGU) isnt the actual tuition, its the cost of living (which can be skimped on). If you look at the VIN foundations site, you'll notice that Ross does indeed take the cake for total COA, but actually comes in cheaper (tuition alone) than 7 other US schools. thats ridiculous! SGU comes in at 15 of 33 for OOS tuition, and 26/33 for OOS including COL. There is no doubt that when it comes to going in-state, it will be cheaper to go in-state in most cases (unless you go to UPenn, LMU, or Western). For-profit status shouldn't be what gets you highlighted. Your outrageous costs should be what gets you ousted, because there are several schools that are significantly contributing to high debt burdens right along side the island schools.

Basically, I don't think anything is going to change cost-wise at these schools. If necessary, I think they will go back to private loans only, and that really only hurts the students (because they will still come). This really does nothing to help students at not-for-profit schools that are charging outrageous amounts of tuition (more than the island schools even). They will continue to get away with killing students as they hide behind a title. None of this prevents schools from opening in new locations, increasing their tuition, and adding on more seats.

http://vinfoundation.org/apputil/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5327182&said=-1

Before I make several points, I want to be very clear that I believe that the cost of a veterinary education at ALL schools is out of control and beyond affordable.
---
As an island student, I feel very targeted by legislation like this. I know it is intended to help, but realistically, I think it does very little to actually benefit students and may actually make things more expensive and worse. These programs did just fine prior to receiving federal funding. People applied, happily took out private loans, and became veterinarians. The addition of federal funding certainly made the programs more attractive to some, but that just means the applicant pool increased. These schools aren't going to change their ways, and at least at SGU, veterinary medicine is not a money maker for them. My understanding is that vet students actually end up costing the school more than their actually worth, but the programs have been around for awhile and have become popular, so they've come up with ways to off-set the costs (go look at the med school tuition, and you'll understand!! my just-started-3rd-year med friend already owes $250k in just med school loans at this point, and there are 600-800 people in her class).

It also frustrates me that they are targeting the island schools so heavily, when there are several programs out there that are charging as much or even more in tuition. Part of the expense of an island school (at SGU) isnt the actual tuition, its the cost of living (which can be skimped on). If you look at the VIN foundations site, you'll notice that Ross does indeed take the cake for total COA, but actually comes in cheaper (tuition alone) than 7 other US schools. thats ridiculous! SGU comes in at 15 of 33 for OOS tuition, and 26/33 for OOS including COL. There is no doubt that when it comes to going in-state, it will be cheaper to go in-state in most cases (unless you go to UPenn, LMU, or Western). For-profit status shouldn't be what gets you highlighted. Your outrageous costs should be what gets you ousted, because there are several schools that are significantly contributing to high debt burdens right along side the island schools.

Basically, I don't think anything is going to change cost-wise at these schools. If necessary, I think they will go back to private loans only, and that really only hurts the students (because they will still come). This really does nothing to help students at not-for-profit schools that are charging outrageous amounts of tuition (more than the island schools even). They will continue to get away with killing students as they hide behind a title. None of this prevents schools from opening in new locations, increasing their tuition, and adding on more seats.

http://vinfoundation.org/apputil/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5327182&said=-1

I don't think the legislation had vet school in mind at all so I don't think you need to feel targeted/offended.

I think the issue that this legislation is trying to solve are all of the really expensive worthless degrees for profit schools all across the nation that are responsible for a huge portion of the student loan crisis.

It just happens to be that in vet med, it falls on the island schools regardless of whether or not stateside schools are any better or worse in their tuition situation. Collateral damage, really. In reality for vet school, perhaps something like this (though not as severe) affecting all schools is in order to help the profession not sink, but the federal govt literally could careless about veterinary education. All the tuition combined from all vet schools is like a drop in the bucket compared to all the other **** throughout the country that amass tuition dollars.

Reactions: 7 users
honestly, I'd prefer to see this sort of reform at all schools - public and private, for profit and not-for-profit. Schools in general (undergrad included) need major reform on costs of education and loans offered.

Reactions: 6 users
Out of curiosity, does anyone else's school offer any kind of financial management or practice management course? We have a required one during third year (I'm actually in it now) that goes over how to negotiate a salary, how to read and interpret a contract, how to understand loan repayment, etc.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else's school offer any kind of financial management or practice management course? We have a required one during third year (I'm actually in it now) that goes over how to negotiate a salary, how to read and interpret a contract, how to understand loan repayment, etc.
it was an elective when I was in school (and it had no cap on admission, I think). We also had a required 1-2 thing at the end of 3rd year I think.

I was talking at length with the vet I'm shadowing, who's from Canada. He had it pretty good in terms of student loan debt.

A lot of people do the VBMA course here. There is an elective called Practice Management which I think goes over some, but I chose not to take it (heard eh reviews and the final project required too much time) . We do have a Legal Issues course which covers some stuff, such as contracts.

Well so far no change down in SGU-land on tuition or loans that I have heard of

At Ohio State that is included in our professional development course. I think it's part of 3rd year but we have professional development every semester. We also have a graduate business minor in health sciences we can take during our 2 summers.

Mizzou has a required 8 week course on business management during second year.. Honestly it could have been done better.. But I guess it's better than not having a class on the topic at all.

We went over resumes/ student loans / investing / budgets / had a new grad panel / learned how to do a balance sheet for practice ownership ....

I wish we would have gone over negotiating contracts / different types of pay options (salary, production, profit sharing)

I think VBMA has been a huge supplement to my business knowledge. For those of you about to start school- I highly recommend joining VBMA and getting the business certificate. It is only about an hour commitment per month - and then a couple weekend events here and there.

A lot of people do the VBMA course here. There is an elective called Practice Management which I think goes over some, but I chose not to take it (heard eh reviews and the final project required too much time) . We do have a Legal Issues course which covers some stuff, such as contracts. I also think we had a required class (which I'm blanking on the name of) where we went over budgets, resumes and 1,5 and 10 year plans and how we'd achieve them

Was trying to edit this...not quote myself. Gah sleep deprivation

I was talking at length with the vet I'm shadowing, who's from Canada. He had it pretty good in terms of student loan debt.

That's because the provincial governments subsidize the cost and control the number of seats with their funding. There isn't any OOS/OOP tuition difference because you can only apply to your IS/IP due to this subsidizing.