New med school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much does it cost to get a new medical school up an running? I'm guessing at least three maybe four hundred million dollars?? Does anyone have a more educated guesstimate?

Members don't see this ad.

How much does it cost to get a new medical school up an running? I'm guessing at least three maybe four hundred million dollars?? Does anyone have a more educated guesstimate?
Why? Trying to see how big of a loan you can get from the bank to start your own?

Its not that much, considering you dont have to give any clinical training on site and can force all your 3rd and 4th year students go out of state to get their clinical rotations lined up. Really you dont even need a hospital, just a piece of **** "clinic", a dozen PhD professors for first year and maybe half a dozen MDs for second year training.

For DOs, its probably about 20 million or so.

For MDs, its a little higher due to stricter accreditation standards, maybe 50 million.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when is 50 mil a little higher than 20 mil, lol.

Why? Trying to see how big of a loan you can get from the bank to start your own?

I don't take out loans, paying or receiving interest is against my religion...

I'ma build my med school with cash :laugh:

If anything, I think this thread shows there are plenty of med schools being built already. Maybe even one too many?

I think they should build schools until there is one built which accepts me, and after I graduate, they should shut them all down and only 30 schools should remain - that way we can have a monopoly. :)

Does anyone have any conclusive information/URLs about Hunter? All I've found through Googling is information about their plans to open a School of Public Health - nothing about a medical school. Where'd the information in this list come from?

newmedicalschool.blogspot.com/

There is the blog for the Commonwealth Medical School, showing the progress.

I think we'd all love to see some MacGyver comments on there. You know, friendly advice.

Bump: yet another MD program coming down the pipe (Commonwealth/Scranton)

I love the reasoning they give for this. Its hilarious how all these schools come online and think they are going to get a big chunk of NIH dollars for research. I'd bet money straight up that these schools will have less than 1 million dollars in NIH grants 10 years from start-up. What a bunch of fools

Just like the other new schools, Commonwealth/Scranton is gonig to screw med students by forcing them rotate at outside hospitals. Their tiny little hospital they have now wont even touch the # of clinical spots they need.

I love how the dean of the new school says they'll figure out the clinical training spots later in 2011. Thats nice, wait till your first class is on the cusp of 3rd year before you figure out where to put these guys for clinical training. I can already see whats going to happen, they are going to get farmed out of state. What a joke. :rolleyes:

The Commonwealth med school in Scranton was projected @ $100 million; This is before any construction or even final planning. Numbers always go up, and it's in Scranton for goodness sakes: You do the math.

MUSM (mercer) branch campus in Savannah, Georgia at MHUMC (Memorial Hospital) accepting first class this cycle, c/o 2012 starting next August will attend all four years in Savannah. MUSM @Savannah already existed, but only for years 3 & 4. Initial class size is 30, will be 40, could go up to 50 or more. Mercer is M.D. and has LCME.

Mercer @Macon and @Savannah have the same AdComs, but the first form they send you (with your acceptance letter) is the form to decide which school to attend.

http://www2.mercer.edu/News/Articles/2007/070620SavannahMedSchool.htm

UNC Charlotte is indeed talking about opening a med school... Personally I think we have a good range of schools as it is...

Members don't see this ad :)
And I hate that Georgia, Florida, and Arizona won't open the public schools up to out-of-state!!!

Ha, me too. Does anybody know if this is really happening? I heard about it 2-3 years ago and then it just dropped off the radar. I understand there's space because Sacred Heart Hospital is getting a new building. I haven't been to Eugene in probably 2 years so I'm out of the loop, and at the moment I'm on the opposite coast. Hmmm Ducktown....:rolleyes:

Go Eugene!!!

Sigh, now I'm really homesick... :rolleyes:

UNC Charlotte is indeed talking about opening a med school... Personally I think we have a good range of schools as it is...
I do think we have a few good schools to select from, but an extra state school would benice.

And the thing I hear is that Scranton will be sort of like Penn State (no big IS preference and pretty high tuition).

This sucks. It's getting very annoying to be a PA resident during all this :(.

For those wondering about the joint UCR/UCLA program we currently have:

The first two (science) years are done at UCR
The second two (clinical) years are done at UCLA

So we already have "half" a medical school, so to speak. I'm looking forward to it-- nice to see my soon to be alma mater growing.

For those wondering about the joint UCR/UCLA program we currently have:

The first two (science) years are done at UCR
The second two (clinical) years are done at UCLA

So we already have "half" a medical school, so to speak. I'm looking forward to it-- nice to see my soon to be alma mater growing.

How exactly do you apply to that?
Different than just applying to Geffen?

How exactly do you apply to that?
Different than just applying to Geffen?

It's another designation on AMCAS: The UCR/UCLA Program in Biomedical Sciences or something. You must have done your undergraduate studies at UC Riverside to be eligible. 24 UCR applicants are taken every year-- degree is identical to the one conferred if you went to Geffen all four years. About 150 people apply for these 24 seats.

However, if you are a UCR student you can still apply to Geffen directly. I interviewed at UCLA and at the UCR/UCLA program.

When is CUNY/Hunter College to open its medical college??

I think OHSU doesn't have the money to expand to Eugene any time soon. On the other hand, Western Univ, the DO school in Pomona, is thinking of building a school in Lebanon, OR, with construction to begin in 2010. You would really have to like the idea of rural medicine to find that appealing.

Lebanon? You have got to be kidding. I used to go on phlebotomy trips to the nursing homes out there. Yikes. I remember where the Dairy Queen is though... :rolleyes:
Corvallis isn't too far from there though in Hwy 20, at least a little closer to civilization. One of my favorite nurseries (plants) is on Hwy 20 between Corvallis and Albany (Garland's, excellent place).
I'd be hard pressed to attend a Western U. school though. Just not the rep I want.
L.

I think OHSU doesn't have the money to expand to Eugene any time soon. On the other hand, Western Univ, the DO school in Pomona, is thinking of building a school in Lebanon, OR, with construction to begin in 2010. You would really have to like the idea of rural medicine to find that appealing.

Bump, added 3 new med schools to the list.

This puts us at 5,000 new graduates, which is a 30% boost over baseline. The AAMC originally called for a 30% increase, so this means the med school expansion madness will stop, right? :rolleyes:

Of course it wont, because this is about $$$$, not training doctors and I dont see this stopping anytime soon.

Lebanon? You have got to be kidding. I used to go on phlebotomy trips to the nursing homes out there. Yikes. I remember where the Dairy Queen is though... :rolleyes:
Corvallis isn't too far from there though in Hwy 20, at least a little closer to civilization. One of my favorite nurseries (plants) is on Hwy 20 between Corvallis and Albany (Garland's, excellent place).
I'd be hard pressed to attend a Western U. school though. Just not the rep I want.
L.

I hope the people who choose that school like being forced to do all their clinical rotations out of state. Whats next, are we going to start opening up medical schools that dont have a hospital at all? I can easily see that happening. What a joke. :laugh:

Hospital? We're talkin about.... hospitals? Hospitals??? Dont talk about hospitals!

images

Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo is kicking around the idea of opening a med school. :)

St. Thomas in Minnesota will not open a med school. :(

No one should count on much of anything from OHSU in Eugene for a while. I'm pretty sure those plans got scrapped when they lost that lawsuit after the state removed OHSU's cap on malpractice damages.
As for UW-Spokane, don't count on that either. The community has a desire to have a school there, and it'd be great, but until UW decides that doctors on the east side of the state are actually smart enough to direct a school it won't happen.
Sorry to rain on any Northwesterner's parade, but most likely you'll still need to look elsewhere. (Come out to St. Louis, no mountains, but school's great!)

Bah, for now I'll take advantage of being a SC resident.
Both schools about 30% cheaper than OHSU resident rates.
L.

No one should count on much of anything from OHSU in Eugene for a while. I'm pretty sure those plans got scrapped when they lost that lawsuit after the state removed OHSU's cap on malpractice damages.
As for UW-Spokane, don't count on that either. The community has a desire to have a school there, and it'd be great, but until UW decides that doctors on the east side of the state are actually smart enough to direct a school it won't happen.
Sorry to rain on any Northwesterner's parade, but most likely you'll still need to look elsewhere. (Come out to St. Louis, no mountains, but school's great!)

it costs about 100 million to open a new med school, regardless of being a DO or MD school. Plus, the school has to also have around 30 million or something ridiculous amount of money in the bank that they cant touch. that money is used if somehow the school is closed down and the students are sent back....the students get all their money back and then some. Nonetheless, after getting provisional accreditation it is very unlikely (i dont think it has ever happened) for a school to be closed down. so yeah, mad cheddar is being forked over to build these new med schools. there are a significant amount of new med schools, but i haven't heard of a proportional increase in residencies....I figure the FMGs are becoming progressively more, pardon my french, "fuqed." hahaha

Anyone know if the rumors are true about University of Texas (the only UT) opening up a medical school? I heard recently that it was in the works.

Anyone know if the rumors are true about University of Texas (the only UT) opening up a medical school? I heard recently that it was in the works.

There's nothing confirmed yet, which is why I havent added it to the list.

However, rumors are floating that UTMB is going to be relocated to UT Austin because Galveston cant support the clinical training for a med school anymore, especially with 2 other medical schools in the Houston area.

I think within 10 years we will see a UT Austin medical school regardless of what happens at UTMB

Check this out: http://www.uga.edu/news/artman/publish/080206_O_MalleyBuilding.shtml

And this: http://onlineathens.com/stories/020608/uganews_20080206090.shtml

Gist? Medical College of GA is opening a satellite school in Athens, GA, to start classes in fall 2009 or fall 2010. They'll eventually move the campus to a place called the Navy School (a campus that served as a school for the Navy Supply Corps until recently) once the Navy vacates the premises.

oh and derarzt? Mercer isn't open to OOS, but MCG is. It's just a pain in the rear to get in there as an OOS since GA has so few public school seats (ie 200, tops) and an ever growing population anyway! Hopefully the Athens campus will create more seats.

this thread is among the scariest out there on SDN...now we can add yet another ever more powerful element to push down physician salaries on top of encroaching midlevels, sky rocketing malpractice insurance, HMO and medicare cuts, and ever increasing debt repayments. Doesn't the future of medicine in this country look so bright!

this thread is among the scariest out there on SDN...now we can add yet another ever more powerful element to push down physician salaries on top of encroaching midlevels, sky rocketing malpractice insurance, HMO and medicare cuts, and ever increasing debt repayments. Doesn't the future of medicine in this country look so bright!

More physicians will cut strong into the midlevel encroachment.

It will also cut out alot of the FMG's who fill primary care spots now.

Both are good things for American medicine with regards to lobbying and reimbursement, as long as we play the cards right.

Keep the residency slots the SAME, and let unmatched MD's work as PA's, earning a good wage, all the while building their CVs towards getting a residency spot.

Let BC'd physicians have more negotiating power with companies, have more training in economics in medical school, and have an emphasis on boutique and cash only practices, thus serving a greater population base, with lower overhead, lower costs to the patients, and greater salary to the docs.

OK, so maybe the last paragraph is a bit of a dream (it's VERY realistic if we'd step up), but the rest is going to be the natural progression of the increase. You think the AAMC is stupid? They see the DNP's :)laugh:) going for their own "residencies" in a few years...If residencies expand, who will get the new slots..Docs or DNP's?

Keep the residency slots the SAME, and let unmatched MD's work as PA's, earning a good wage, all the while building their CVs towards getting a residency spot.

The PAs have already blocked this from happening. Its ironic, considering they keep screaming that they are just as good as doctors and should be allowed to join a bridge program and become MDs.

Of course we see that they are full of hypocrisy just like the other midlevel groups.

Some of the PAs have the audacity to claim that a newly graduated PA student is actually SUPERIOR to a newly graduated MD because "MDs arent trained to work under supervision"

What a joke. :laugh:

I was recently told that the reason there are alot of new schools opening up is that there are roughly 6000 fmgs that come here for residency every year, This will just push them out of the match and prevent Doctor shortage in other countries. If this is true then most people on this forum should be able to avoid the trouble for spots when this comes to a head right?

I was recently told that the reason there are alot of new schools opening up is that there are roughly 6000 fmgs that come here for residency every year, This will just push them out of the match and prevent Doctor shortage in other countries. If this is true then most people on this forum should be able to avoid the trouble for spots when this comes to a head right?

You are right about the effect on FMGs but you are wrong about the reasoning behind the new med schools.

Its very easy to understand why this is happening: $$$$$

Local politicians have this crazy idea in their heads that they can open up a med school and that the NIH is going to flood them with millions of dollars that will result in an "economic buildup" in the surrounding community. Its not even about training doctors anymore, its about getting money from the fed govt to try and get an economic boost to the area.

Other proponents for new med schools cite flawed workforce studies that totally ignore the impact of DOs, PAs, and NPs, and assume that 100% of all medical care is delivered by MDs. They use those flawed statistics to argue that "there hasnt been a new med school in the last 25 years" (which is blatantly false, DO programs have been expanding for many years prior to this) and therefore our little podunk rural county needs a med school to treat all 5,000 of our county residents.

I'm going to laugh in 10 years when all these med schools open up and they are pulling in a paltry $100k from the NIH instead of the millions that the local politicians promised.

There are 37 new medical schools coming. I predict that the INCREASE in Harvard's funding between now and 10 years will surpass the NIH funding delivered to all of these new schools COMBINED.

UTMB has affiliated with Brackenridge Hospital in Austin, which changed its name to University Medical Center at Brackenridge. "Brack", as it refered to is a newer facility with a brand new Children's hospital attached. The hospital has had a residency program for many years affiliated with UT-Austin (Nursing and Pharmacy) and a local foundation that paid for student residency education, administration costs, and professor salaries.

The talking is that over the next ten years UTMB will move most of their residency to Austin Brackenridge from Galveston.

UTMB-Austin:

http://www.seton.net/medical_services_and_programs/graduate_medical_education/

It's crazy how many of these are DO schools. I bet that with an increase in US MD applicants to residency programs will really screw over the qualified DO applicants trying to get a spot in allopathic residency (same with FMGs). They will probably be left to fight over the "scraps."

It sucks, but they only have themselves to blame. The AOA is letting all these brand new DO schools pop up willy-nilly around the country with no quality control. IMO, it is cheapening what used to be a separate-but-equal profession.

It's crazy how many of these are DO schools. I bet that with an increase in US MD applicants to residency programs will really screw over the qualified DO applicants trying to get a spot in allopathic residency (same with FMGs). They will probably be left to fight over the "scraps."

It sucks, but they only have themselves to blame. The AOA is letting all these brand new DO schools pop up willy-nilly around the country with no quality control. IMO, it is cheapening what used to be a separate-but-equal profession.

right on...and even more insidious is the fact that some of the new DO schools aren't non-profit. The Flexner Report from the early 20th century decried such institutions as they had lower quality (and many of these schools are far from "their" hospital, making the beneficial aspects of having preclinical education at least being somewhat connected to clinical education virtually nonexistent).

If the trend continues, DO graduates might be limited essentially to primary care. However, almost all DO schools seem to emphasize their dedication to primary care so I don't think the graduates should have any right to complain when they aren't able to get into the allo spots and competition for the limited osteo spots in their specialties of choice are taken.

So I'm ****ing confused. I'm waitlisted/on the verge of rejection but more schools are being opened up NOW because we need MORE doctors? Makes me feel great.

self-esteem = down :mad: I can't get in when the demand is high:smuggrin:

So, I see that there will be a new medical school opening up in NJ. It is the Touro School.

Three questions?

Is it state/public or private?
Is it an MD or DO school?
How will it stack up against UMDNJ-NJMS and UMDNJ-RWJMS?

Hey, since you were the one that bumped the thread today, just thought I'd chime in and say MCG/UGA and Mercer/SAV should be flip-flopped. MCG/UGA is in planning, and might not even open until 2011 according to the latest news. Mercer/SAV has already accepted their 2008 class, has hired a significant number of faculty, and has facilities. Several SDNers are actually attending Mercer/SAV this fall.

I know. It's quite a joke.

When the day comes that there are MD/DO grads without spots, don't you think there will be a push to allow them to work as mid-levels?

Heck, they don't even have to play by the PA bylaws. They will be licensed physicians, after step 1/2/3, and they can set these up as jobs which are PA in role, PA in pay, but with an MD, and with the general understanding that they are CV builders towards residency placement.

PA students brand new being > than MD students is a JOKE. Anyone who has worked with both know this. PA's rock, but the best new PA's are not as well trained as average 3rd year medical students on the cusp of 4th year.

The PAs have already blocked this from happening. Its ironic, considering they keep screaming that they are just as good as doctors and should be allowed to join a bridge program and become MDs.

Of course we see that they are full of hypocrisy just like the other midlevel groups.

Some of the PAs have the audacity to claim that a newly graduated PA student is actually SUPERIOR to a newly graduated MD because "MDs arent trained to work under supervision"

What a joke. :laugh:

UTMB has affiliated with Brackenridge Hospital in Austin, which changed its name to University Medical Center at Brackenridge. "Brack", as it refered to is a newer facility with a brand new Children's hospital attached. The hospital has had a residency program for many years affiliated with UT-Austin (Nursing and Pharmacy) and a local foundation that paid for student residency education, administration costs, and professor salaries.

The talking is that over the next ten years UTMB will move most of their residency to Austin Brackenridge from Galveston.

UTMB-Austin:

http://www.seton.net/medical_services_and_programs/graduate_medical_education/

When did this happen? o_O

Wow, it happened right under my nose! They REALLY need to change their sign.

In Feb it was confirmed that Texas Tech is opening the new school in El Paso called Foster School of Medicine.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/

"Just before closing on February 5th, we received the long awaited phone call from the Liaison Committee on Education (LCME), the national medical school accrediting agency, that the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine has been approved as a four-year medical school."

"We will immediately turn our efforts to recruiting students for the first class to be seated in August of 2009."

Tuoro University College of Medicine of New Jersey

Is a private school
Is an MD school (pending on license)
We don't know how it will stack up against UMDNJ schools. It is schedule to open in 2009 fall.

The Texas A&M University Health Science Center College of Medicine and Scott & White Hospitals have opened the new University Medical Center in Round Rock. This will allow A&M to enroll more medical students and and residents per year. Round Rock is a suburb of Austin.

And I hate that Georgia, Florida, and Arizona won't open the public schools up to out-of-state!!!

The new phoenix campus of the University of Arizona COM claims that sometime in the next few years they are going to open it up to OOS.

so macgyver... what does this exactly mean for all of us now? lower quality medical education? lower quality doctors? lower wages for general practitioners or specialists? if the amount of residencies remains steady, how much of an effect will this have on all of us? and what does it mean for all these new schools, since if they really are only after the money and community improvement and if it is not delivered, will med schools start developing into tiers like law schools? this is all very troubling to me, i hope the powers that be know what they are doing and are looking out for all of us doctors/future doctors. maybe i choose the wrong profession....