Nov 8, 2010
Eau Claire, WI
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

So im a senior in high school and in the midst of applying to schools where i will be pursuing my undergrad. In college, i hope to study geography/political science, whilst hopefully earning some type of certificate or something in global health. I would seek to earn a B.A., as well as completing the med pre-requ's., MCAT, shadowing, research, etc. So i am wondering what people would suggest as best schools where i could pursue these interests. Ultimately, like most on here, i hope to one day go to med school.

I'm a wisconsin resident, and have applied to:

UW-Madison
U of M-Twin Cities
UW-Eau Claire
University of New Mexico (Amigo Scholarship = Instate tuition in a kick ass state)
Beloit College

Academically New Mexico (from what i've heard) is a bit inferior to the others, though i would be applying for the honors school. But i love the mountains, and the many opportunities they afford, as well as the change of climate... UNM also has a med school (though i still wouldnt be in state-but would it help if i attended there for my undergrad or doesnt that really matter?)

So when it comes time to applying to med schools would higher caliber schools look down upon new mexico as opposed to a school like Madison or the U of M? Or doesnt it matter, and if i work my ass off, study like hell for the MCAT and do a bunch of volunteering/shadowing/research-would i be just like everyone else...

Thanks, and also sorry for the length of the post.

rcheech7

EM
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a friend who went to UNM for undergrad, was accepted to Stanford and Harvard (on waitlist for Harvard though). He just started at Stanford this past August. He had amazing EC's (Interned with a senator on US health policy, WHO intern in Geneva), and plenty of research from all kinds of research programs affiliated with UNM.

Although it pains me to say, since I go to NMSU :cool:; UNM has great opportunities for research and and clinical experience.

If you won't be in state when you apply to UNM (for medical school) then you won't get in, unless you have strong ties to the state somewhere (but I assume you don't), or are part of a Native American tribe. They also want the people that graduate from their medical school to remain in New Mexico to practice, so if you don't intend to do that, then you won't get in.

OhioDoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2009
Ohio
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

So im a senior in high school and in the midst of applying to schools where i will be pursuing my undergrad. In college, i hope to study geography/political science, whilst hopefully earning some type of certificate or something in global health. I would seek to earn a B.A., as well as completing the med pre-requ's., MCAT, shadowing, research, etc. So i am wondering what people would suggest as best schools where i could pursue these interests. Ultimately, like most on here, i hope to one day go to med school.

UW-Madison
U of M-Twin Cities
UW-Eau Claire
University of New Mexico (Amigo Scholarship = Instate tuition in a kick ass state)
Beloit College

Academically New Mexico (from what i've heard) is a bit inferior to the others, though i would be applying for the honors school. But i love the mountains, and the many opportunities they afford, as well as the change of climate... UNM also has a med school (though i still wouldnt be in state-but would it help if i attended there for my undergrad or doesnt that really matter?)

So when it comes time to applying to med schools would higher caliber schools look down upon new mexico as opposed to a school like Madison or the U of M? Or doesnt it matter, and if i work my ass off, study like hell for the MCAT and do a bunch of volunteering/shadowing/research-would i be just like everyone else...

Though you'll see that opinions relating to this topic vary widely, I think that what you do (work your ass off, keep a high GPA, good extracurriculars, research, good MCAT) is A LOT more important than where you did your undergraduate work. Just be prepared to discuss why you choose your undergraduate institution - almost all of my medical school interviewers asked about why I choose to attend my undergraduate institution.

Jul 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

UW-Madison
U of M-Twin Cities
UW-Eau Claire
Beloit College

This may be a bit biased question from me, but I am from CO and went to school there and have to ask, are you considering the University of Colorado?

CU-Boulder is more on par with Madison and Minn in terms of academic prestige (and we have an honors program too). Plus, we got some pretty awesome mountains. Trust me, I love NM, but just thought I would throw a plug for my school and state out there. I'm guessing it is much more expensive than UNM however.

In terms of med school there, NM is also kind of crazy about state residency. While that undergrad scholarship sounds awesome, I read on the NM website (because I considered it for med) that you can't apply to the med school if you are a non-resident unless you apply early decision (which is usually not smart for med schools). I'm sure they take strong NM connections into consideration, but they really do not seem to like OOS applicants.

In terms of undergrad, go where you would like to go. A strong gpa combined with a strong MCAT score will get you in somewhere, no matter the undergrad institution.