New MS4 EM Rotation in Fort Worth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonoShedd

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and announce a new clerkship in Emergency Medicine for MS4's at Baylor Scott & White All-Saints Medical Center (BAS), in Fort Worth, TX. While the Covid-19 pandemic is currently consuming a lot of our mental faculties, I thought perhaps bringing this new rotation to light might help give a reprieve from the frequent influx of pandemic-related news.

My name is Drew Shedd, and I am going to be the program director of a new EM residency program at our hospital in Fort Worth, Texas that is pending accreditation from the ACGME in the coming weeks. In anticipation of this, we will be offering a clerkship/Sub-I for MS4's who are applying to EM and are interested in checking out what we have to offer. SLOE's will be available. If you are interested, please see the flyer below for dates, contact info, etc. Please be aware, we did have to cancel the June offering in-light of the current pandemic but anticipate the July 6th rotation will not be impacted. While our rotation is not yet on VSAS, it should be in the coming weeks. Currently we are accepting applications by email.

In brief about the program, the EM program at BAS will be a 3 year program with our first class anticipated to begin in 2021. Residents will rotate primarily at BAS, but also at other sites throughout the community to augment their educational experience. Baylor All-Saints Medical Center will be hosting multiple residencies across an array of specialties, and will begin with EM in 2021. We have also recently established a very exciting relationship with the TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine, see here.

In brief about myself, I went to residency at Advocate Christ Medical Center, in Oak Lawn, IL, and completed my PGY-3 year at Parkland Hospital, in Dallas, TX. I transferred for family reasons, and this unique experience, in which both programs were so incredibly supportive of me, gives me a unique insight into the individualized needs of residents during their training. I am so grateful to both programs. Thereafter, I completed a fellowship in Emergency Ultrasound. For the last six years, I have been at JPS in Fort Worth, TX where I had the privilege of serving as the Ultrasound Director, and Associate Program Director for the residency program. Our APD at Baylor All-Saints, Dr. Chinmay Patel, also brings with him a wealth of experience from his prior academic position, and will be running this medical student clerkship. The rest of our faculty at Baylor are very-much committed to medical student and resident education, and to advancing the field of Emergency Medicine.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Again, please see the flyer below for more info. If you have any questions about the upcoming MS4 clerkship, residency program, or the application process to EM in general, please, do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards,

Drew Shedd, MD
@SonoShedd

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Med Student Flyer.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 186
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Do you really think we need more EM Residencies? Especially Texas? What are your thoughts on the looming significant oversupply of emergency medicine physicians? Is your program staffed by a CMG? Why did you start a residency program?

Reactions: 4 users
This is great news! My wife and I both have family in the DFW metroplex. I'm going to send you an email as I'm VERY interested in doing an audition with your program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really think we need more EM Residencies? Especially Texas? What are your thoughts on the looming significant oversupply of emergency medicine physicians? Is your program staffed by a CMG? Why did you start a residency program?

So this is a great question and one that I reflected on before stepping into the position. First, I would say that our facility has had a long-term plan for GME for some time now, and have been growing this vision for several years . With that vision in mind, we were asked as an emergency department, to participate by hosting an EM program. I would imagine this is the case for most PDs across the country; programs are started at a system or institutional level, and a qualified faculty member is asked to be the PD. Second, I would say that Fort Worth is not only one of the largest cities in the country, but is growing at a quick pace, and has no dedicated university program(s). Bringing an academic university-based program to the city is our vision, and something that I believe is unique to the area. It will also bring with it a tremendous amount of learning opportunities and research that will benefit not only our learners, but our patients, our city, and our specialty.

props to you for answering. most of the new PDs just drop their announcement posts and then flat ignore all such queries.

So this is a great question and one that I reflected on before stepping into the position. First, I would say that our facility has had a long-term plan for GME for some time now, and have been growing this vision for several years . With that vision in mind, we were asked as an emergency department, to participate by hosting an EM program. I would imagine this is the case for most PDs across the country; programs are started at a system or institutional level, and a qualified faculty member is asked to be the PD. Second, I would say that Fort Worth is not only one of the largest cities in the country, but is growing at a quick pace, and has no dedicated university program(s). Bringing an academic university-based program to the city is our vision, and something that I believe is unique to the area. It will also bring with it a tremendous amount of learning opportunities and research that will benefit not only our learners, but our patients, our city, and our specialty.

Reactions: 1 users

You should have been a politician.

props to you for answering. most of the new PDs just drop their announcement posts and then flat ignore all such queries.

He literally answered almost nothing.

Reactions: 3 users

Partnering with TCU I bet?

Baylor All Saints is by no means a large hospital. It's a medium-sized community hospital that receives no trauma. Self-selects for middle-aged and older patients with medical complaints.

You're right next door to JPS and Harris Methodist Fort Worth. JPS already has it's own residency program. Where are you going to do your trauma and ICU rotations?

Another example of an unneeded residency opening up in a less-than-ideal clinical environment (with regards to volume).

Reactions: 3 users
The problem now is that I could open a teepee in the middle of the desert, ACGME-RRC would accredit it as an EM residency, and I'd have hundreds or thousands of medical students applying to rotate and match there.

As the main intent of this post was to let the medical community know about an exciting new educational opportunity for those who are interested in EM and Texas in particular, I will briefly address the concerns listed above and then withhold further commentary since I do not seek to send this post down a rabbit-trail.

I completely understand the concern about the number of EM residency programs in the country. The issue is multi-factorial and beyond the scope of this discussion, and did not go unrecognized when this program was being developed. That said, I would also encourage everyone to recognize that it is also not everyday a city has a new medical school open. Particularly one with the name and pedigree of TCU and UNTHSC. To join these established universities with the resources of BS&W is truly a unique opportunity. It also speaks volumes about the growth of our specialty within the medical community that one of the first programs the health system wanted was EM. I can assure everyone this is not just another community-EM program. But, I appreciate everyone's concerns.

To the medical students reading this post who are interested, please do not let the above concerns dissuade you from reaching out and learning more about what is going on here. We are truly excited about what the future holds as we embark on this new training program.

Reactions: 1 users
You still ignored Fox. Medical students: this should be a last resort rotation at best. It's a small hospital that already has a dominant program (JPS) right next to it. It should also be noted that UTSW residents still have to go to Fort Worth for trauma procedure numbers as well. I doubt JPS will let you guys partner with trauma because that will kill their program. UTSW takes the Level 2. You going to send your residents miles away? UTSW is graduating ~22 residents and JPS ~13 residents a year, flooding the Texas market more than it already is. You advertise for people interested in coming to Texas, but they'll have to move right out after. You may have "recognized" the over supply, but now you're contributing to it.

Reactions: 5 users
Seriously, this is the LAST thing that we need.

Someone else (Shockindex?) said it best:

EM is built on a false economy. One not built on emergent needs, but rather on convenience and anxiety; and this has become painfully apparent now that our volumes are in the tank and the greedy admins are cutting hours and pay-rates to maintain their fat stacks of bonus-money.

Reactions: 1 user