New OB/GYN residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astharia

OB1gynobi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any new programs in the works for the Des Moines area? Iowa city is the only GYN residency in Iowa, currently. But I'm hoping that one is produced within the next 5 years. When would we even know about these if/when it is slated?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you currently still a pre-med? I'm asking because inquiring about new residencies before you're even accepted somewhere is putting the cart before the horse a little bit. We all value planning, but you should probably be focusing on other things before stressing out about hoping for a new residency close to your desired area in 5 years.

I am still a pre-med and I realize that it's a little too soon to worry about residency. However, I do have a family and although my husband is very supportive and vocal about willing to move; I'm hoping to at least have options that I can apply to in the future that will allow us to stay close to home.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely too soon for you to worry about residency if you don't yet have an acceptance to medical school. Perhaps you have an acceptance already though.
If your husband is vocal and supportive about moving, that's great. And aren't Des Moine and Iowa City like, 2 hours from each other? I think most of us would consider 2 hours "Close to home" for residency purposes.
Additionally, I feel the need to state that only ~50% of people even get their first choice for residency. Your attitudes about moving may change when it comes time for residency, and that you'll likely want to interview at somewhere around 15 or so programs. It doesn't do well to enter interview season with the mindset that you ABSOLUTELY must get into THIS ONE program.

If your husband is vocal and supportive about moving, that's great. And aren't Des Moine and Iowa City like, 2 hours from each other? I think most of us would consider 2 hours "Close to home" for residency purposes.

That is what I was thinking. If you guys are from Des Moines then that is a pretty good spot to be. Five programs(Iowa, Creighton, Nebraska, KU, UMKC) within a 3 hour radius, that is going to be tough to beat unless you are on the East Coast or huge cty.

I'm not really stressing, but just trying to get some kind of plan in my head. I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask and maybe someone knows something I don't. When it comes to us moving we know for sure we're not leaving the midwest for school or residency. I don't have the acceptance yet I'm a year out from that but I know of the schools I'm looking at so far. Hell I also realize that my interests might change, and OB may not even be the specialty that I want to pursue. I kind of thought that 5 or so years out may be about the length of time it takes to establish a new residency program? But I don't really know.

Update, (I'm in an MSBS program now, applying next cycle) I talked to a local OBGYN the other day, apparently there's talks in the works about a residency in DM.

I’m happy for you but it takes time to start a residency and do you really want to be their first class of residents?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile