New O'Keefe and ECG coding for boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morte7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So O'Keefe just came out with his 5th edition, and unfortunately I am hearing that the way we code MIs on the boards is now totally different than the 4th edition (no more Q-wave centric, etc). This seems like a big deal for a big section of the test.

Does anyone know a way to find out how ABIM wants ECGs coded on the exam, without paying $120 for this information in the form of a new book? There must be some centralized document with this info distilled. I already have the 4th edition of O'Keefe and don't want to buy another.

Members don't see this ad.

So O'Keefe just came out with his 5th edition, and unfortunately I am hearing that the way we code MIs on the boards is now totally different than the 4th edition (no more Q-wave centric, etc). This seems like a big deal for a big section of the test.

Does anyone know a way to find out how ABIM wants ECGs coded on the exam, without paying $120 for this information in the form of a new book? There must be some centralized document with this info distilled. I already have the 4th edition of O'Keefe and don't want to buy another.
I am also needing the PDF of the book. I wonder if a PDF link comes with the paperback...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, MIs are no longer categorized into Q wave vs non Q wave. That's very old and should have taken out before 2000 even.
Now it's either STEMI or NSTEMI, which falls more in line with how we actually treat patients.

See here https://www.abim.org/Media/vihoxa0c/cvd-sample-cases.pdf