New Ophtho Resident, what should I study now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeDoctor22

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in my first residency month, and in my school we have a thing called "basic course", which is meant to be an introductory course on ophthalmology,during the whole month. Thing is, it is not basic AT ALL, and I am getting really frustrated about the complexity of the lectures. I would like to know what would be relevant to study in this first month, a colleague recommended to read about refraction, but I would like to know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Eyeguru is a good start! Wills manual is good for clinical relevance. Eyerounds (U Iowa website). And maybe first book (fundamentals) of BCSC. It’ll all come with time. First year is tough.

Kanski's clinical ophthalmology is a great book to start with. I assume you are PGY1, in that case, you should focus the rest of PGY1 on picking up clinical skills and read as much as you can in the mean time. Don't worry too much about the complexity of the lectures, you have exactly the whole year to study and prepare for OKAP, and you will learn most of the material. Steep learning curve for sure.