Thank you for all the advice.
Gorback:
Thanks gor all the honesty. I do think that you are right on several levels, however, I do not want to join a group and be an employee. As for the research, yes, i feel like that i have done a lot of research into the area of practice. I already do have full hospital priveleges for a hospital that I moonlight for , including anesthesia and unrestricted pain management priveleges. I do have a solo pain practioner willing to cover my calls as long as i do the same for him, so i think that issue is covered.
As for the comp and other groups cutting me out with built-in referral systems (asc partners), i also have thought of that issue, but i think that i can get a different niche with referrers by buddying up with more of the primary care docs. a lot of the spine groups in the area, no longer refer to pain practices or anesthesia groups, they have gotten bright and are hiring new grads (primarily pmr grads - i think because they are willing to accept a lower salary compared with anesthesia trained grads because of the recent job market and salary for anesthesia) for their pain practices, thereby keeping all the patients in-house.
I know that it is a cut-throat world out there, and i have discussed and contemplated this issue for a while and even hired practice consultants to discuss their professional opinions. All in all, I know that it will be very very difficult to get started in a already saturated and competitive market. However, primary care docs, dentists, chiropractors, etc. do it all the time, and there are practioners who are successful in what i feel is even a more difficult market than pain management, at least presently.
I know that its an uphill climb, but i am willing to take that risk and challenge, to hopefully set a successful future for myself. I am willing to do what other people have mentioned including cme lectures, drug rep dinners, lectures, etc. I have already scheduled several educational sessions. I am also contemplating, setting up 2 locations, one in the urban area and then another in a more rural area to see which one i can generate more refferals and volume and to try to get my name out there quicker.
otherwise, i appreciate all the advice and honesty. this is exactly what i want and need. before i really take the financial plunge, i want to try to put most of the cards in my hand although i know that there is alot of risk.
thanks for all the feedback.