• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Technology new palm tx

kurogoma

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2005
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I got a T|x and am happy with it. What convinced me was the screen size and the WiFi, the screen is about 50% bigger in area than the older palms.

This is my first handheld, but when I tried the ones other people used I always thought the screen should be bigger, just makes reading easier. The landscape mode also helps.

I hope I will be able to use it for a while...

About the Ads

nebrfan

Rx Beer
    15+ Year Member
    May 11, 2005
    Omaha
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      kurogoma said:
      I got a T|x and am happy with it. What convinced me was the screen size and the WiFi, the screen is about 50% bigger in area than the older palms.

This is my first handheld, but when I tried the ones other people used I always thought the screen should be bigger, just makes reading easier. The landscape mode also helps.

I hope I will be able to use it for a while...

Thanks for the response - How well does the wifi/browser work?

kurogoma

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Oct 23, 2005
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        nebrfan said:
        How well does the wifi/browser work?

The WiFi works very well for casual internet surfing, but also for wireless synchronizing with the computer. I actually don´t think I will use the USB cable much, it was not faster than the WiFi.

Chemguync

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 28, 2002
        Chapel Hill, NC
        1. Medical Student
          kurogoma said:
          The WiFi works very well for casual internet surfing, but also for wireless synchronizing with the computer. I actually don´t think I will use the USB cable much, it was not faster than the WiFi.

What about memory? Do the PDAs like T/X and T5 have enough memory to store all the medical programs you need? My school requires palm os, so i'm looking at the lifedrive(sp) cuz it has 4 gigs and the dual wifi/bluetooth.. but also the voice recorder.. I had heard that some pda software requires being installed on the pda itself, not the flash drive, so I was worried about running out of space.. is that really an issue?

kurogoma

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Oct 23, 2005
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Chemguync said:
            What about memory? Do the PDAs like T/X and T5 have enough memory to store all the medical programs you need? My school requires palm os, so i'm looking at the lifedrive(sp) cuz it has 4 gigs and the dual wifi/bluetooth.. but also the voice recorder.. I had heard that some pda software requires being installed on the pda itself, not the flash drive, so I was worried about running out of space.. is that really an issue?

In the main memory of the T|x I installed 7 programs (epocrates, DxSaurus, Merck, MedCalc...) and I still have 84mb available out of 128mb. I also bought an additional 1gb flash card for mp3 files.
            This is my first handheld, so I haven´t really figured out yet which programs I´m going to really use, but I don´t think I will use 20 or more. I guess most people settle on 3-6 programs they really use.
            If in doubt, just check how big the programs you would want to use really are.

mastry

10+ Year Member
            Nov 1, 2005
            1. Medical Student
              I am also a new owner of a Palm T/X and I LOVE it. It's my fourth Palm (V, Clie, T3, and now T/X) and the best one.

But I would not use it without my favorite way of entering text for it: MessagEase.

You can get it for free from http://www.exideas.com (free for the first two months).

If you spend a bit of time learning how it works, it makes the experience of actually using your Palm (or any PDA in fact) much more efficient.

threeTXs.jpg

Iwy Em Hotep

The Welcomer
              10+ Year Member
              Aug 26, 2004
              Seattle
              1. Attending Physician
                So I have some questions about purchasing a PDA soon for 3rd year. I'm trying to decide among the Palm T|X, Tungsten E2, and iPaq rx1950.

My main use for a PDA will be to store medical database information. Wi-Fi for email would be nice but is not critical. I also have a Mac, and would like to make the PDA play nice with it.

Pros for each:
                T|X (+): Wi-Fi, large screen, Palm interface
                E2 (+): cheap, good battery life, Palm interface
                iPaq (+): Wi-Fi, good battery life, small size

Questions:
                1) Is battery life that critical? I don't want to the PDA to die on me while I'm on the wards, so hearing that the T|X gets a little under 4 hours on a charge gives me pause.

2) How is medical software for the Pocket PC? I know that there are lots of Palm medical programs out there, but I can only imagine myself using ePocrates and some calculators right now.

3) If I get the iPaq, I will need to get Missing Sync as well. Can anyone comment on whether this is a PITA, or does it "just work?"

EatMoreChicken

10+ Year Member
                Nov 5, 2005
                1. Medical Student
                  I'd get a Palm TX if I were you. The larger screen, WiFi, faster processor, and more memory would push me to the TX over the E2. The batter life issues for the TX can be a concern. They say it will last 4hours on continuous use w/ the wifi off. But they clam a person typically uses their Palm about 40mins a day, so it will probably last a few days before you need to recharge.

I wouldn't even bother w/ the IPAQ b/c softwarez is harder to find.

smc927

El Flaquito
                  7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Feb 26, 2002
                  Wandering Around
                    I bought the Palm T|X and have a Mac (iBook). Here is my review (compared to the iPaq 1945 I used to have, which had essentially the same features). This is my 4th or 5th PDA.

**Screen: Large, landscape view enabled, bright, clear. Love it.

**Memory: 128 meg, 100 available to user. I have Dorland's medical dictionary, Bates Physical Exams, DO/OTM (Kimberly), thousands of pages of other ebooks, etc, and still have 80 meg available.
                    ------Expansion slot allows me to easily add more memory. (Check out newegg.com.)

**Size: Just right. The iPaq 1945 I had before was slightly slimmer (and a slightly smaller screen). It felt too small. The T|X feels great in my hand.

**Weight: Heavier than my wallet, lighter than my iPod (20 gig ipod I got for free, yes - really... check out my signature link).

**Case: The flip-cover attaches to the side and opens like opening a book. I really like that feature. 3rd party cases enclose the entire PDA making it significantly heavier and thicker - although they offer improved protection.

**WiFi: Works great. Connects easily. Check email and surf the web. Not as fast as a desktop computer, but fast enough. You'd still want to do your regular web work on a desktop/laptop.

**Bluetooth: bluetooth is bluetooth, does it's job. Great for wireless syncing.

**Mac Friendly: Works with my Mac easily. iSync syncs it with my iCal and address book easily. "Missing Sync" software can be purchased separately to do all sorts of fancy WiFi-syncing things.

**Battery life: Company says 4 hours on a charge - mine is doing fine. That's 4 hours ON time - when would you have it on 4 hours straight? Recharge every few days - kind of like a cell phone.

**CONS: Battery cannot be replaced by user. PocketPC has more handwriting/input options - although Palm's Graffiti 2 works very well. Skype doesn't make a Palm PDA version. AvantGo doesn't make a program for Mac (although a free alternative works and does the exact same thing).

**Software: Palm based software is still the only good option for Mac, and many businesses still use it. I don't see it going out anytime soon.

DW3843

5+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Mar 29, 2004
                      nice responses. thanks

I am also about to get a PDA for next year (as in July). I'm probably going to stick with the TX, but the Lifedrive is attractive based mostly on its gigantic memory.

If I get the TX I will likely buy a memory card (maybe a gig) just for personal files or whatever else.
                      Is this a good idea, or is springing the extra dough for the Lifedrive a better idea in the long run.?

By the way, I've never had a PDA before . . . and I have a Mac. (thank god)

Iwy Em Hotep

The Welcomer
                      10+ Year Member
                      Aug 26, 2004
                      Seattle
                      1. Attending Physician
                        DW3843 said:
                        nice responses. thanks

I am also about to get a PDA for next year (as in July). I'm probably going to stick with the TX, but the Lifedrive is attractive based mostly on its gigantic memory.

If I get the TX I will likely buy a memory card (maybe a gig) just for personal files or whatever else.
                        Is this a good idea, or is springing the extra dough for the Lifedrive a better idea in the long run.?

By the way, I've never had a PDA before . . . and I have a Mac. (thank god)
                        I think it would cost less money to buy the TX and 2 2GB cards. From what I've read, the Lifedrive isn't as stable as the TX.

ramonaquimby

I'm a PGY3?! WHAT?!
                        10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Jul 3, 2005
                          Iwy Em Hotep said:
                          I think it would cost less money to buy the TX and 2 2GB cards. From what I've read, the Lifedrive isn't as stable as the TX.

it seems only two palms offer wi-fi. bummer cuz i'm really feelin' the E2. this will be my first palm so i want to make the 'right' decision (is getting a palm the first wrong idea? is a dell better?). anyway, i stumbled across this review and became confused cuz i thought one needed wi-fi to check email/internet? if i'm right, explain this review to me:

"Using Bluetooth and my Moto v551, the palm T5 can also be used to check e-mail. Since I can't access personal e-mail at my work, I can use the T5 to send and receive messages and, browse the internet anywhere I have my phone (no WiFi needed)."

huh? i want to be able to check email/internet via my palm (that i don't won yet)...the TX and C seem to be the only (very expensive) options

Iwy Em Hotep

The Welcomer
                          10+ Year Member
                          Aug 26, 2004
                          Seattle
                          1. Attending Physician
                            There are two different wireless protocols involved here.

1) Wi-Fi. This is the wireless you likely have in your school/home/library and the one that most laptops use to go onto the internet. Also known as 802.11b or 802.11g. Requires that you be around a wireless access point.

2) Bluetooth. This is a short range wireless protocol designed to replace cables, like USB cables. It can be used with a Bluetooth-compatible cell phone to access the internet, but of course you need the phone and the data plan.

On a related note, before getting a PDA to use with your Bluetooth-ready phone, make absolutely certain that the two are compatible. Many phones do not work with the TX, for example, for no apparent logical reason.

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.