New Personal Statement when Reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grille Master

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you need to rewrite your personal statement when reapplying?

Members don't see this ad.

AAABSOLUTELY should....if not....you'll look not only not motivated..but just plain lazy...plus you should talk about how you have improved yourself since the last cycle...

Grille Master said:
Does anyone know if you need to rewrite your personal statement when reapplying?

Grille Master said:

Has anything in your life changed in the time since you applied last time? If not then you're probably not going to get in this time either. So just write about how you're a better applicant and what you've done in the past year to improve yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
CJWolf said:
Has anything in your life changed in the time since you applied last time? If not then you're probably not going to get in this time either....

that's rather harsh.
as is life, i guess :oops:

Grille Master said:

its important to improve your stats but if you think your essay is great then keep it

i think it's ok to use the same one.Ive had friends that have just improved their DAT scores and got in. :luck:

EkksDee said:
i think it's ok to use the same one.Ive had friends that have just improved their DAT scores and got in. :luck:

If I end up reapplying I'll probably use the same essay, just with the revisions I wish I would've included the first time around. Seriously, I'm really proud of my essay. It reads like prose.

Gulch said:
If I end up reapplying I'll probably use the same essay, just with the revisions I wish I would've included the first time around. Seriously, I'm really proud of my essay. It reads like prose.

ditto, kinda.
i worked really hard on my essay. i will start writing new paragraphs for my new essay, and see where i can fit it in to my 'old' one

fruity_trident said:
ditto, kinda.
i worked really hard on my essay. i will start writing new paragraphs for my new essay, and see where i can fit it in to my 'old' one

holy crap! you've written alot of posts in a very short amount of time!! :eek: And with the exception of your stimulating conversation with pen15 (I can't believe you didn't know what that meant right off. I mean, did you skip the third grade or something), all of your posts have been really nice. If I didn't know better I'd think you were gearing up to run for president/ moderater of SDN. I'm sure the vote would be unanimous... :idea: If you can get over a 1000 posts by the end of next week, you've got my vote! C'mon everybody! Fruity for pres! :laugh:

Gulch said:
holy crap! you've written alot of posts in a very short amount of time!! :eek: And with the exception of your stimulating conversation with pen15 (I can't believe you didn't know what that meant right off. I mean, did you skip the third grade or something), all of your posts have been really nice. If I didn't know better I'd think you were gearing up to run for president/ moderater of SDN. I'm sure the vote would be unanimous... :idea: If you can get over a 1000 posts by the end of next week, you've got my vote! C'mon everybody! Fruity for pres! :laugh:

oi..u're making fun of me..AGAIN..haha
as i wrote in another post...i'm "allowing" myself to "waste" time online, cuz my next exam is not for another week! :eek:

oh, about the pen15 thing..and skipping 3rd grade...not quite, 2nd grade. but that's ok. i never learnt how to tie my shoe laces, so i rock the velcro stilettoes ;)

in keeping with what 2 ppl said tonite...i think i just hit my 500th in the last 5 mins...hahaha

addicted to SDN? i think so
:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=velcro stilettoes

velcro stillettoes...hmmm...they sound hot, but I've never seen them before. Are they sort of like those cool moon boots with velcro on the side you used to wear as a kid? ;) I'm just teasing. That was me wearing the dorky moon boots, which of course were, well, unattractive.

Gulch said:
ya...totally...didn't u see me sportin it @ the Case interview? :laugh:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da00b3127cce910339653a2400000015108AcNW7Jo1Ztl
i wanted to add the pic as an attachment...but there's somethin wrong with my browser, so it won't let me!

i'm a totally geek..i just spent a good 20mins making this pic, cuz i have nothing better to do, since all my friends are studying for exams...but we're goin out tomorrow!yay :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any new advice out there regarding this old thread. Im most likely going to be reapplying and Ive been advised by my adviser to rewrite my personal statement ... any advice would be appreciated.

If the personal statement didn't get you in last year, why would you think it would work this year? Additionally, I certainly hope that over the course of the past year you have improved your application and done something to further your chances for admission to dental school and to continue to show your perseverance and desire to become a dentist...all of which would make a great addition to a personal statement.

Im almost 100% positive that my personal statement didnt have the most impact on my nonacceptance this cycle. My low DAT score definitely took care of that for me. Many of the above posts talk about applicants that improved their DAT score and were accepted the next year with the same personal statement. Is it a positive idea to mention that I was rejected the year before in my new statement? I have done many things to increase the attractiveness of my application throughout this past year and agree that those things should be included.

You dont have to re-write it, just add more to it.

You dont have to re-write it, just add more to it.

Thats what i did and got in my second time. I would keep the body and heart of your essay, maybe change sentence order and add/remove somethings. Add a nice anecdote at the beginning or something. Well i had one.

Honestly though, i think i only re-proofread my essay and changed a few things. Made it a little stronger.

You should definitely revise the essay adding this experience to the essay. Writing something about how it has affected your desire to enter the profession. Obviously you are reapplying so your desire has only been strengthened. Anyway good luck with your reapplication!!!

Do not use the same essay. If you didn't get in the first time or are reapplying for whatever reason then they would like to see how you have bettered yourself. Not rewriting your personal statement will not bold well for you.

I don't think it's bad to use elements of the old personal statement. The reason why you're drawn to dentistry probably hasn't changed. I would definitely consider finding another approach to the personal statement, however. If the adcom recognizes your personal statement, you risk coming across as lazy.

Im almost 100% positive that my personal statement didnt have the most impact on my nonacceptance this cycle. My low DAT score definitely took care of that for me. Many of the above posts talk about applicants that improved their DAT score and were accepted the next year with the same personal statement. Is it a positive idea to mention that I was rejected the year before in my new statement? I have done many things to increase the attractiveness of my application throughout this past year and agree that those things should be included.
I wouldn't mention how you were rejected last year. Add any new information from the last year that reflects positively on you as a candidate, but don't mention it in the context of improving your application. You don't want a statement that reeks of failure. But, even if you don't change a thing, have more people read the statement to ensure it is high quality. At this stage it would be worth paying a professional service to edit it as well.

any new/additional advice here?