New pharmacy technician help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TofuBlock

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently got a job at CVS and since I am still new, I have some questions I'm hoping someone here can help me (instead of me bothering my coworkers).

I'm dealing with pick-up still and while it is fairly straightforward, weird things do come up >.<

So a patient came asking if his/her prescription is ready. It was not in the waiting bin so when I looked at the STATUS, the RxConnect system said ON HOLD. But the patient wanted it? How do I process it (like what button would I pick).
Also, how do I check the reason for ON HOLD status?

Members don't see this ad.

lol, good luck. I wont be much help to you but I just wanted to say how the training process for any pharmacy tech is horrible. They just throw you into the water and hope that you float.

Hello, I recently got a job at CVS and since I am still new, I have some questions I'm hoping someone here can help me (instead of me bothering my coworkers).

I'm dealing with pick-up still and while it is fairly straightforward, weird things do come up >.<

So a patient came asking if his/her prescription is ready. It was not in the waiting bin so when I looked at the STATUS, the RxConnect system said ON HOLD. But the patient wanted it? How do I process it (like what button would I pick).
Also, how do I check the reason for ON HOLD status?
After looking up the patient, select P to go to their profile and find the med. You can confirm it's the right one by checking that the status (near the middle of the screen) says On-Hold and there are refills remaining (far right two columns). Hit X, enter, then select the number (1-5) that corresponds to that prescription. It'll come up with the fill screen.

If that's the only med they want today, type 1, enter, then enter what time they want to pick it up (or W15 for a waiter). Hit enter until it goes back to the patient's profile. Finally, hit F12 to check if it went through insurance. If you see a yellow dot with a P, hit F12 to close it, wait a few seconds, then hit F12 again. A green dot with an A means it went though and a red dot with an R means it was rejected. That's when you would go into QT and see why insurance rejected the claim and try to fix it, but if you're new enough to still be learning the RxConnect system you may not have learned about adjudication yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After looking up the patient, select P to go to their profile and find the med. You can confirm it's the right one by checking that the status (near the middle of the screen) says On-Hold and there are refills remaining (far right two columns). Hit X, enter, then select the number (1-5) that corresponds to that prescription. It'll come up with the fill screen.

If that's the only med they want today, type 1, enter, then enter what time they want to pick it up (or W15 for a waiter). Hit enter until it goes back to the patient's profile. Finally, hit F12 to check if it went through insurance. If you see a yellow dot with a P, hit F12 to close it, wait a few seconds, then hit F12 again. A green dot with an A means it went though and a red dot with an R means it was rejected. That's when you would go into QT and see why insurance rejected the claim and try to fix it, but if you're new enough to still be learning the RxConnect system you may not have learned about adjudication yet.

Thank you for your explanation!!!
And if I may, Can I do this with every prescription that is ON HOLD? As in like how do I know when can I do this and when can I not? Since some people told me there are numerous reasons for ON HOLD :/

lol, good luck. I wont be much help to you but I just wanted to say how the training process for any pharmacy tech is horrible. They just throw you into the water and hope that you float.

They made me do over 60 modules for online training but I didnt feel like they help. It was more like they were throwing a bunch of information at my face. I dont really know if they expect me to know all that (because I couldnt remember all those information :/). My friend works at an independent pharmacy and she seems more chill since she told me she only fills and answer phone calls.

But like I’m going to pharmacy school and when I graduate, I’ll probably be at big corp pharmacy anyway (but the talk abt saturation scares me) so I thought working at big corp pharmacy chain right now would help me become more accustomed and I wouldnt be completely clueless as an intern/pharmacist.

Thank you for your explanation!!!
And if I may, Can I do this with every prescription that is ON HOLD? As in like how do I know when can I do this and when can I not? Since some people told me there are numerous reasons for ON HOLD :/

There are a few different reasons a script can be on hold but I don't think there's any reason you wouldn't be able to fill it unless the script was expired (timelines depend on state laws) or out of refills. Regardless, the system will tell you if you try to refill one of those when the script is expired or out of refills, and then ask if you want to generate a prescriber request.

I guess one exception might be if it's on a high cost hold. (In other words, we tried to fill it and the copay was really high. Usually we try to contact the patient and ask if they were expecting it to be a high price and/or work with them to get he cost down.) I don't know if there's any way to check if that's the reason it's on hold other than filling it or checking the fill history. From the patient's script list if you hit V# it should show if they've filled it before and what they paid. Bear in mind that a lot of patients will have a higher copay after January 1 each year because they have to meet their deductible.

Edit: Another exception would be if it's out of stock, but it would likely tell you from the register system, or you can excuse yourself to go check the shelves.

Last edited:
They made me do over 60 modules for online training but I didnt feel like they help. It was more like they were throwing a bunch of information at my face. I dont really know if they expect me to know all that (because I couldnt remember all those information :/). My friend works at an independent pharmacy and she seems more chill since she told me she only fills and answer phone calls.

But like I’m going to pharmacy school and when I graduate, I’ll probably be at big corp pharmacy anyway (but the talk abt saturation scares me) so I thought working at big corp pharmacy chain right now would help me become more accustomed and I wouldnt be completely clueless as an intern/pharmacist.
Also if it makes you feel better, my PIC straight up told me to click through the modules as fast as I can and she would teach me on the job. She's not a huge fan of the modules either. ;)
(Take this with a grain of salt though because while my pharmacist is a good teacher and enjoys helping out new employees, she is sadly not representative of all pharmacists.)

Also if it makes you feel better, my PIC straight up told me to click through the modules as fast as I can and she would teach me on the job. She's not a huge fan of the modules either. ;)
(Take this with a grain of salt though because while my pharmacist is a good teacher and enjoys helping out new employees, she is sadly not representative of all pharmacists.)

I just hope that I won't be dumb as rock and won't have to keep asking them questions.
And if you don't mind, and if you remember, can you tell me what the buttons are for? Like X, F1, F2, F4 etc or buttons you think are important to know. Thank you!!!!!

I just hope that I won't be dumb as rock and won't have to keep asking them questions.
And if you don't mind, and if you remember, can you tell me what the buttons are for? Like X, F1, F2, F4 etc or buttons you think are important to know. Thank you!!!!!
Oh gosh I don't remember a lot off the top of my head but we'll see.
X = exits pretty much any screen you're on. If for some reason X isn't available, you can hit Esc then Y enter to return to the main screen without saving any changes.
F1 = useful for updating a patient's profile, say if they get new insurance or get married and change their name or something. Go to patient's profile and hit F1, then Enter to tab between screens.
F2-4 = I'm pretty sure these are just lookup tools for Prescribers, Drugs, and something else (don't remember) respectively. I don't use them too often.
F10 = credentials, but you probably already know about it. Should be the first thing you do on any shift after clocking in.
F11 = store info. By default shows you your own store's info but you can search for other stores too, say if you need the phone number for the nearest 24h store.
F12 = adjudication status
S = status; you know this one already. Also can use it in some places to schedule a prescription.
L = from the main screen, lets you print a prescription label. Helpful if you're on autopilot and fold a sticky label in half (as if you were going to put it on a manufacturer's packaging) when it's supposed to go on an amber vial, not like I've ever done that of course…
V# and E# = from a patient's profile, lets you view and edit a prescription, respectively. Edit especially when you need to rebill (E#, enter, 11, enter)
O and H = from the edit prescription screen, lets you out-of-stock or put a prescription on hold, respectively. Out-of-stocking it will prompt a few different options, including a partial fill and changing the NDC, and prompt you to communicate any changes to the patient. You can also OOS from QP by scanning the label first. H, for some reason, isn't always available when you edit a script.
QE = I still don't really get what this queue is for but if you can't find a script you put through (not in QV or QT), check here. I once had a script get suck on pending forever and wound up here for some reason.

Personally, I think RxConnect is pretty intuitive to use, and it helps that a lot of the keys are labeled either on the keyboard or on the screen. If you ever have some free time (haha, good joke, right?) play around with some of the menus (within reason—don't be inputting scripts that don't exist or whatever lol) to see what they do. I think the system is much better learned by using it rather than seeing a zillion screenshots.

Reactions: 1 users

This sounds 20x more complicated than Walgreens system

Oh gosh I don't remember a lot off the top of my head but we'll see.
X = exits pretty much any screen you're on. If for some reason X isn't available, you can hit Esc then Y enter to return to the main screen without saving any changes.
F1 = useful for updating a patient's profile, say if they get new insurance or get married and change their name or something. Go to patient's profile and hit F1, then Enter to tab between screens.
F2-4 = I'm pretty sure these are just lookup tools for Prescribers, Drugs, and something else (don't remember) respectively. I don't use them too often.
F10 = credentials, but you probably already know about it. Should be the first thing you do on any shift after clocking in.
F11 = store info. By default shows you your own store's info but you can search for other stores too, say if you need the phone number for the nearest 24h store.
F12 = adjudication status
S = status; you know this one already. Also can use it in some places to schedule a prescription.
L = from the main screen, lets you print a prescription label. Helpful if you're on autopilot and fold a sticky label in half (as if you were going to put it on a manufacturer's packaging) when it's supposed to go on an amber vial, not like I've ever done that of course…
V# and E# = from a patient's profile, lets you view and edit a prescription, respectively. Edit especially when you need to rebill (E#, enter, 11, enter)
O and H = from the edit prescription screen, lets you out-of-stock or put a prescription on hold, respectively. Out-of-stocking it will prompt a few different options, including a partial fill and changing the NDC, and prompt you to communicate any changes to the patient. You can also OOS from QP by scanning the label first. H, for some reason, isn't always available when you edit a script.
QE = I still don't really get what this queue is for but if you can't find a script you put through (not in QV or QT), check here. I once had a script get suck on pending forever and wound up here for some reason.

Personally, I think RxConnect is pretty intuitive to use, and it helps that a lot of the keys are labeled either on the keyboard or on the screen. If you ever have some free time (haha, good joke, right?) play around with some of the menus (within reason—don't be inputting scripts that don't exist or whatever lol) to see what they do. I think the system is much better learned by using it rather than seeing a zillion screenshots.

Thanks!
I just wish there is a demo I can download and play around at home.

Hello, after my second day, I have more questions >.<

So today, a patient came looking for a script that is not in WB. I check patient’s profile and saw the script he/she looked for has more refills available (I checked “S” for status but that script did not show up, probably because it was not being worked on for the moment). So the patient said he/she wanted it. There was only one option on the patient profile, which was X. So once I did that, I just exited the patient profile without any option for me to choose line# or anything.
What am I doing wrong?

The sequence I did was:
S for status. The script that was wanted did not show up in status. I press I think F5 for profile and saw that script had more refills available. Then there was only an option to type “X” and enter. I couldnt do anything after since I just exited the screen.

Of course I asked for help but the pick up line was so busy, they told me to move on to the next patient while they process this script. So I couldnt watch what they did. I feel like I don’t learn much since I never get to stand there and watch what they did. They typed and pushed buttons super fast too >.<

Help please :(((
Thanks

Hello, after my second day, I have more questions >.<

So today, a patient came looking for a script that is not in WB. I check patient’s profile and saw the script he/she looked for has more refills available (I checked “S” for status but that script did not show up, probably because it was not being worked on for the moment). So the patient said he/she wanted it. There was only one option on the patient profile, which was X. So once I did that, I just exited the patient profile without any option for me to choose line# or anything.
What am I doing wrong?

The sequence I did was:
S for status. The script that was wanted did not show up in status. I press I think F5 for profile and saw that script had more refills available. Then there was only an option to type “X” and enter. I couldnt do anything after since I just exited the screen.

Of course I asked for help but the pick up line was so busy, they told me to move on to the next patient while they process this script. So I couldnt watch what they did. I feel like I don’t learn much since I never get to stand there and watch what they did. They typed and pushed buttons super fast too >.<

Help please :(((
Thanks
Right so the system is a little weird in that you have to hit X in order to select which one you want to refill. When you hit X+enter, the screen should stay the same, except the options at the bottom will change. That's when you type the number corresponding to the med and hit enter.

Right so the system is a little weird in that you have to hit X in order to select which one you want to refill. When you hit X+enter, the screen should stay the same, except the options at the bottom will change. That's when you type the number corresponding to the med and hit enter.

Oh ok. I will try that again when I have time >.<

not CVS tech but works for chain and I have to say i had the worst training when i started and my coworkers only managed to make it worse . Good luck

not CVS tech but works for chain and I have to say i had the worst training when i started and my coworkers only managed to make it worse . Good luck

Oh no >.<
Can you explain more? What happened? Did they not help and show you on how to do stuffs?

Oh no >.<
Can you explain more? What happened? Did they not help and show you on how to do stuffs?
I was new in US and this was my 1st job and completely different from what i had in my country . I would say they did not have the patience to train me and when i do something wrong ,they would make it a huge deal before explaining how to do it in a right way and of course, talking behind my back was their pleasure. Rph and techs both would team up and make fun of what i do . I did not go to HR at that time bcuz , as a foreigner , did not know the rules and just wanted to survive and make money .

I was new in US and this was my 1st job and completely different from what i had in my country . I would say they did not have the patience to train me and when i do something wrong ,they would make it a huge deal before explaining how to do it in a right way and of course, talking behind my back was their pleasure. Rph and techs both would team up and make fun of what i do . I did not go to HR at that time bcuz , as a foreigner , did not know the rules and just wanted to survive and make money .
Sorry you had a bad experience at your first job. It surprises me to still see adults with a grade school mentality and treat others this way. I see it from time to time in college and work as well. I hope you are in a better working environment now.

Sorry you had a bad experience at your first job. It surprises me to still see adults with a grade school mentality and treat others this way. I see it from time to time in college and work as well. I hope you are in a better working environment now.
I improved a lot and it took me a while but i became one of their best techs
Left few months ago and i do not regret my decision