New pharmD student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Take notes while reading?

• Yes, always

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Only for journal articles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only for textbook readings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

nonzerosum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my first week in pharmacy and I am finding that committing all the readings to memory in the time I've got to be very difficult. Do you have any advice on this?

should you take notes while you read?
(if so what type of notes: add to lecture notes, mind map...) or do you just read it without writing anything down?

Members don't see this ad.

journal articles- highlighter
textbook - if there are slides also, i take notes on the relevant slides. otherwise, no. I read the chapters before lecture.
I also make study guides from the texts/lecture notes.

For therapeutics, the professors tell us what information in the chapters we should review before coming to class, and leave blank spaces in their slides for it. We have a googledoc that about half our class participates in, where everyone fills out a little bit of the information, so people don't have to read volumes and volumes of info. Then one only has to read 10 pages of notes (with much spacing) prior to class instead of 25 pages of DiPiro. The professors don't endorse this googledoc (not sure how they found out about it), but they did not say that we are not allowed to prepare for class this way.

The professors don't endorse this googledoc (not sure how they found out about it), but they did not say that we are not allowed to prepare for class this way.

Maybe through FB? Some professors can see students on their networks if the students have chosen to make certain information available to everyone on their school network.

I usually underline portions of the text I read, and underline sections in study guides that are emphasized in class.