New Pre-dent to SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allsmiles09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone...just registered a few minutes ago!

Would like some advice if possible...

I will be retaking the DAT in August...took it the first time in Jan. and scored a 17:
Bio - 18
G. Chem - 17
O. Chem - 15
Reading - 20
Math - 14
Preceptual - 15
AA - 17
Total Science -17

I really don't feel this exam is an accurate reflection of my abilities as a student or my dedication to my work....but I know I must get passed it in order to get to dental school

I would say I have a decent GPA. 3.7 -- lots of upper level science courses, shadowing experience, research, extracurricular activities -- will I have a shot of getting accepted somewhere after submitting my scores in August?? I recently submitted my application. I would like to stay on the east coast if possible

also -- how is everyone managing anxiety about studying for DAT's...sometimes I get so bad my heart races and I cannot concentrate at all....I have 6 weeks left before test day...would love to hear some feedback (sorry this is long winded)

Members don't see this ad.

I will be retaking the DAT in August...took it the first time in Jan. and scored a 17:
Bio - 18
G. Chem - 17
O. Chem - 15
Reading - 20
Math - 14
Preceptual - 15
AA - 17
Total Science -17

I really don't feel this exam is an accurate reflection of my abilities as a student or my dedication to my work....but I know I must get passed it in order to get to dental school

I would say I have a decent GPA. 3.7 -- lots of upper level science courses, shadowing experience, research, extracurricular activities -- will I have a shot of getting accepted somewhere after submitting my scores in August?? I recently submitted my application. I would like to stay on the east coast if possible

also -- how is everyone managing anxiety about studying for DAT's...sometimes I get so bad my heart races and I cannot concentrate at all....I have 6 weeks left before test day...would love to hear some feedback (sorry this is long winded)

Welcome!

I would say a retake is definitely recommended. If you can obtain an AA of 19 or so, your chance would've been a lot better.

You can always just take a short break and do your favorite activity whenever you feel overly anxious. Hope that helps!

Bio - 18
G. Chem - 17
O. Chem - 15
Reading - 20
Math - 14
Preceptual - 15
AA - 17
Total Science -17

Personally, I think that with your GPA, if you can pull up that DAT score, even if you submit your scores in August, you will have a good chance of getting into somewhere on the east coast if you apply to enough schools.

Welcome to the forum. We are happy to have you here. There is a TON of great info. I think SDN got me into dental school... Well of course I may have had SOMETHING to do with it too, but you know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad :)

Welcome.
There's a few things you can do for anxiety... depending on the kind of person you are, I would guess. I get the "bad heart races" as you call them too, but not with studying for the dat (mostly other junk still in school).
I notice caffeine calms me down.. sitting outside/taking a walk... or you can even try something that might sound lame and hokey -- meditation.

With 6 weeks left I started taking 2 practice tests a week. It'll help you get your timing down and get you more comfortable with the test. If you get your hands on the DAT Destroyer I would run through it 2-3 times (the chemisty on the dat was easy compared to that). When the time comes for you to take the test you should see that you are pretty consistent with your scores and if you use topscore or achiever you'll probably do a few points higher on the actual test. If your feeling real stressed, play a video game for half an hour, it kept me sane.