Technology New Program to help research proteins

Started by Jmuhnie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jmuhnie

Justin
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar to SETI@home a new program has been developed to help researchers analyze protein folding. Users can run the program in the background or as a screen saver when they are not around so that their extra computer time can be used to solve protein folding problems. I think it is a cool way to speed up the discovery of protein interactions and purposes. The link for the site is World Community Grid . I've started a team that I hope some other SDN'ers will joing. My team is called the Protein Crusaders. Save the world...join today 😀
 
Nice, it's good to see IBM taking off some of the server load from United Devices' grid.org. It's the exact same project, but UD gives you the option of running a cancer project as well. I made a thread in the Lounge for this, but I wish the Protein Crusaders best of luck! :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hehe, thanks for the luck...I didn't know about the United Devices until the launch of the WCG. I was just trying to get everyone involved. It is the little things like this that may actually make a difference...and when the government isn't increasing research funding very much...this is one contribution that most of us can make.
 
I joined this program (through united devices) but I think I'm starting to regret it. I just did a search and found Folding@Home and found that it is run by Stanford University and is non-profit. I did a little digging on united devices and they are for profit and it seems they primarily want to sell our cpu cycles to companies for $$. Philanthropy seems to be somewhat of an afterthought.

Can anyone else comment on this?