New Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbernar1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stephew,

What's your opinion on new programs?

Members don't see this ad.

jbernar1 said:
Stephew,

What's your opinion on new programs?
i dont have one really. some will be good, some not so much. Sometimes we're lucky to get a spot so run and take it. Anyway Id ont know what the "new" ones are.
steph

The only two new programs that I know of are University of Colorado and Vanderbilt. I was very impressed with CU, especially considering how new it is (first class is currently in PGY2 year). Faculty is young and excited about teaching. They all trained at great places (MSKCC, MDACC, Hopkins, UCLA, Princess Margret, etc.) and have a variety of clinical and research interests. Cancer center is phenomenal and the medical complex is Aurora is beautiful. I suspect that this program will be highly regarded in the near future. I did not look at Vandy, but from my understanding it is very basic science oriented and interested in future medical scientists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Univ. of California-Davis and Mayo Clinic-Jacksonville are also new programs.

i guess id ont consider those really new programs. Yes both vanderbildt and Uco. are very good.

Cal pacific is new, I think they went on ERAS only this year, maybe paper app last year? Anyway I think there is an assoc with UCSF so probably on its way to being good. Didn't hear much about it on the trail, but I think patient volume might not be as high.

-fa8

fettucine said:
Cal pacific is new, I think they went on ERAS only this year, maybe paper app last year? Anyway I think there is an assoc with UCSF so probably on its way to being good. Didn't hear much about it on the trail, but I think patient volume might not be as high.

-fa8

CP is sorta new. It used to be called St. Mary, but the program moved over to Cal Pac.

Thaiger75 said:
CP is sorta new. It used to be called St. Mary, but the program moved over to Cal Pac.

How is a new program (or a new residency position) created and approved? Any worries that the # of residents will get too high leading to too many practitioners in the field?

from one program? No. But in the mid 1990's there was this big fear there would be too many radonc docs and they cut back on programs. guyess what? Not enough. opps. but now I expect there will be a lot as its a popular field. Neverhteless the acgme has to approve spots so progrmas get money from the govt to pay for training. You cant just add spots.