New Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAnative

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, did not find much on here using search, what do you all think about going to a new residency program?? Faculty and PD seem very invested and medical group is pouring alot of money into it. I just wonder if there are any insights on going there that maybe i have not thought of? Thank you! FYI its an IM program.

Members don't see this ad.

Pros: It would be pretty baller to be the first ever chief at a place. Plus you have an almost guaranteed job working for them as core faculty and have a straight shot at being an APD/PD, if climbing up the academic ladder is something you're considering.

Cons: You'd have to be extremely flexible as things will change everyday. Also, not only do you and the attendings have to adjust, all the nurses, techs, and other staff have to adjust who to call for what and when and how, so that could be a big hurdle.

Hey all, did not find much on here using search, what do you all think about going to a new residency program?? Faculty and PD seem very invested and medical group is pouring alot of money into it. I just wonder if there are any insights on going there that maybe i have not thought of? Thank you! FYI its an IM program.

Wouldn't do it if there were other options.

Enthusiastic faculty and money are good starting places, but there's so so much more to consider.

-Are those 'enthusiastic' faculty actually good at teaching? Are they good at preparing you for the boards (always a background objective)?
-Are all the necessary rotations established and/or are good experiences?
-Are you going to be able to get xyz electives if desired?
-Is the admin side setup appropriately and they have experience in doing academic bureaucratic stuff? A bad admin team (e.g. program coordinator) can be incredibly frustrating to deal with.
-Do they have connections that'll set you up if you want to do fellowship at a particular place?

What's the workload gonna be like?
-Some places that are heavily attending driven are very cushy but don't necessarily train great residents. Other places go the other direction and put a massive workload on their trainees and its just unpleasant.

Some places that become new residency programs were once training sites for other programs and slip into being an independent program very easily. That's probably a more desirable new program.

Reactions: 1 user