New residency programs - good, bad, or does it not matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New residency programs:

• Total voters

DoctorStrange0101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been invited to interview at some new residency programs. Some are brand new (this is their first year) whereas others are in maybe their third year. What do you guys think about new programs? Would it be potentially detrimental for me to interview and rank these programs? Or are there benefits to going to a new program? I'm looking for a procedure-heavy (and derm and peds focused) program so I'm worried that new residencies may not have the kinks worked out to get me the numbers I need.

Please explain your response! Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been invited to interview at some new residency programs. Some are brand new (this is their first year) whereas others are in maybe their third year. What do you guys think about new programs? Would it be potentially detrimental for me to interview and rank these programs? Or are there benefits to going to a new program? I'm looking for a procedure-heavy (and derm and peds focused) program so I'm worried that new residencies may not have the kinks worked out to get me the numbers I need.

Please explain your response! Thanks so much :)

I'm re-applicant. While I can't address your actual question (good/bad etc) my two cents of wisdom having interviewed at new programs is to ask whether the residency is only accepting PGY1 residents or also accepting PGY2/3s. I Feel the presence of PGY2/3s is a boon to incoming PGY1s, but I'm interested to see what others think! They will also ask you your thoughts and/or hesitations about it being a new program, so be sure to have an answer prepared for that.

P.s. Not to be a Debbie downer, but surgeryislife....Er....you sure about FM with that screen name???:whistle:;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user