Krupat

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi my sister recently obtained her RN degree through Drexel's accelerated BSN program. She has been looking for a job, and has been unemployed for 6 months. What do you recommend her doing? Any advice on how to get job interview without prior experience. Thank you everyone, any advice is great!

MrMannix

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2007
Chico, Ca
Status
Pre-Medical
1. Look at travel nursing websites.
2. Look outside of hospitals for jobs: clinics, snf, offices, ect
3. Consider moving to a larger area.
4. Consider getting certificates: NIH Stroke Scale, BLS, ACLS, PALS, ect

Good Luck

fab4fan

TiredRetiredRN
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2002
Desolation Row
www.thebaldnurse.com
www.allnurses.com

There are a lot of people in her shoes. She might find many suggestions there helpful, but I have to warn you, it's pretty grim. A lot of people are struggling to get interviews, some going past the year-mark or longer.

Right now is a tough time. Some people have had to do major relocating to find a job.

Dec 16, 2010
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I say, go and attend some trainings and seminars. I think it's a plus that employers are looking for. Better have something presentable on your resume. ayt? nutritional supplements | Ventrilo

Last edited:

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't nursing a hot field as far as employment goes? Isn't there a shortage? I know location is everyhing and some places maybe have surplus and others shortage of nurses, but overall, isn't the field very much in demand?

Nov 8, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't nursing a hot field as far as employment goes? Isn't there a shortage? I know location is everyhing and some places maybe have surplus and others shortage of nurses, but overall, isn't the field very much in demand?

This may not be the case anymore, especially if one is not willing to relocate. You can't dictate what you want anymore. You have to take what's out there, anything.

fab4fan

TiredRetiredRN
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2002
Desolation Row
www.thebaldnurse.com
Not at the moment. Right now jobs are hard to come by, and there are graduates who are still looking for jobs months to over a year after graduation. The economy has a lot do with it. There may be a shortage in a few years, but currently the market is very tight.

May 2, 2010
somewhere down south
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Not at the moment. Right now jobs are hard to come by, and there are graduates who are still looking for jobs months to over a year after graduation. The economy has a lot do with it. There may be a shortage in a few years, but currently the market is very tight.
This is absolutely true. There are new grads starting at my hospital who have been out of school since May of last year. A good friend of mine who is an experienced nurse, left traveling to look for a staff job because the work was so far and few between as a traveler. She did find a job, but it took her almost a year to.

Most NY hospitals on LI and NYC are not hiring. I would recommend to the OP to apply anywhere you can get your foot in the door. Nursing homes, visiting nursing, clinics, etc.