New San Diego EM Residency!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi TRKD, I will be applying to the Kaiser SD EM program and am very excited that SD finally has more options for residency! ERAS just opened up, however the Kaiser SD program is not selectable. Do you know why this may be? Kaiser is going to be my #1 choice!

Any info is much appreciated. Thank you!

Luis

Members don't see this ad.

Hi TRKD, I will be applying to the Kaiser SD EM program and am very excited that SD finally has more options for residency! ERAS just opened up, however the Kaiser SD program is not selectable. Do you know why this may be? Kaiser is going to be my #1 choice!

Luis

I believe somewhere earlier in the thread they mentioned needing ACGME approval that was supposed to happen last week to be able to list on ERAS and accept applications. I would imagine any day now.

Luis

Should be active now (as of today). Let me know if not.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome. Interestingly, on our end it says active. We can't see what the student's see. We were going to call in the morning and inquire further. Glad it's up. Good luck to all of you guys!

I'm a couple years away from applying, and I'm curious: are there any other new programs coming online in the coming years? Specifically on the West Coast?

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Any one invited for an interview to this new program. Can you provide some feed back.

Any one invited for an interview to this new program. Can you provide some feed back.
We just did our second day of interviews so you may not get much feedback just yet. Hope someone hits you up with that info though.

Thoughts on interview day at Kaiser San Diego
This is the very first year of the program, and I think it’s the first ever Kaiser EM program. A family medicine program was started 2 years ago, so the hospital has had guinea pigs already. This is the largest ED in San Diego. The volume is good, but it is a Level 3 trauma center. It is a stroke center, but NOT a STEMI center. About 90% of the patients are Kaiser patients. EMS and walk ins will sometimes bring in pts who aren’t Kaiser. Faculty said that pathology is still broad despite most people having insurance for example a few AIDS patients presented. I will be one on one with attendings, and the attendings seemed very enthusiastic and the ED has been getting ready for the residents for 3 years now. It’s a pod style system. There’s also an observation area. I will learn bread and butter ED medicine here. We rotate elsewhere in SD for trauma and peds. Moonlighting is available as a 3rd year with Kaiser affiliates I will be able to get a job in San Diego. They were honest in the fact that it will be difficult for me to get an academic job in other parts of the country. However, the faculty comes from a wide range of residencies so networking is possible. Kaiser is working on an ultrasound fellowship and an admin or Sim fellowship also. Kaiser is working on having a medical school and nursing school, so they are definitely working towards education. The PD was very friendly as were the rest of the faculty. There is a triage system but the triage doc is there to put out fires and oversee the entire ED. They’re not like triage at USF or AAMC. It will be nice to be unopposed with regards to learners from other specialties. I am worried about the range of pathology that I will see and the lack of procedures. I am also concerned about how I will be treated at other hospitals being the first EM residents from Kaiser. Lastly, getting a job outside of SD or the Kaiser system may be difficult. I will NOT have name recognition with my residency and in some parts of the country it may be a negative. I would have to at least do 1 year at an outside hospital in SD to get some cred in order to work elsewhere in the US.

Big Positives:

1. I live in beautiful San Diego

2. I will have more one on one teaching with faculty

Big Negatives

1. It’s the first year of the program

2. My job search will be very limited after residency to San Diego or Kaiser hospitals

3. My residency will lack prestige and who knows it might close

4. 90% of my patients will have insurance, which is an unrealistic setting

Wonder if they could use another faculty member :)!

Good notes:)
Having come out of a new program I can only speak to that, not the fact it would be "Kaiser" though. I had absolutely zero, none, no problem at all getting a community job after training. The training never even came up, actually not many questions come up when's you are looking for a gig to be honest, it's easier than I thought.

Now, academics I have heard is a different story, but if you do research and such/publish/etc. Tend to mitigate this, as does networking during residency.

Thumb typed from iPhone using Tapatalk

getting a job outside of SD or the Kaiser system may be difficult. I will NOT have name recognition with my residency and in some parts of the country it may be a negative. I would have to at least do 1 year at an outside hospital in SD to get some cred in order to work elsewhere in the US.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have to agree with TrumpetDoc on this one. The training program name recognition and getting cred by working somewhere after residency are not actually things that matter in the real world. It makes some difference in academics particularly in research heavy places that like applicants from other research heavy programs. In most EM jobs around the country (which are mostly regular community ERs), these things make no difference. I trained and did fellowship on the east coast and got multiple job offers in San Diego where most people have no idea about the programs on the East Coast. Having said that, San Diego is a super tough market. Outside of the very difficult markets such as this one, people are offering jobs left and right. It really isn't hard to find a job outside of residency in most parts of the country, regardless of your residency. This idea of cred and name recognition will go out the window when you are done with residency. Most residencies provide adequate training in the eyes of most ERs. I can't think of any doc we have hired where the training program was even mentioned.

Bump. New application season. Oh yeah!! Get pumped!

bump...

Anyone else rotate here? Please post your thoughts if you have time!!! Thanks!!!

bump...bump..bump

Would love to go to this program. Heard good things from a lot of people. Any updates from this year?

Can anyone speak to the acuity at the program? If any current residents are on here, what are your thoughts?